If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Wet Mee Siam (rice vermicelli in spicy sour gravy) 汤汁米暹

 
There is a shop in Klang serving nice Mee Siam for breakfast, and they have wet version instead of the usual dry version. The spicy and sour gravy pour on the dried Mee Siam, so appetizing ! Now I prefer wet version than the dry version here.

 


wms5 copy
After went to this shop many times, and from my observation, I know what are the ingredients they used to prepare this Wet Mee Siam. After i saw Cass 's version (her ingredients are slightly difference from what I tasted ), I decided to cook this wet Mee Siam at home. You have to collect enough quantity of prawn heads in order to get nice stock.

wms


wms1

 
Ingredients used..
wms2

 
Dried Mee Siam and Spicy Sour gravy are ready to serve !! 
wms3 copy

 
And I feel this wet Mee Siam also suitable to serve in a small gathering.
And my hubby is very happy to enjoy this wet version than the dried version I usually prepared.
And don't forgot to add chopped spring onions or Chinese chives, it give extra spicy to this noodles.


wms6 copy



Wet Mee Siam (rice vermicelli in spicy sour gravy)汤汁米暹
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

 Stock ingredients
400g prawn heads
wms6 copy 1 chicken carcass
2 sprig spring onions
2.5 Lt water

5pcs assam keping or tamarind peels
1tsp salt or to taste
1 & 1/2tbsp sugar or to taste

Chili paste ingredients- blend till fine paste
20pcs dried chilies, soak in hot water till soften
1 fresh red chili
8 shallots
4 cloves garlic
1tsp belacan (shrimps paste)

Mee Siam ingredients
400g rice vermicelli or meehoon, soak in water to soften
40g dried shrimps or Hae Bi , soak in water for 5mins, chopped
200g bean sprout or cabbage ( that shop using cabbage )
2 firm tofu (tao kua), sliced
1 & 1/2tsp salt or to taste
1tsp sugar or to taste
cooking oil

Hard –boiled eggs, for garnishing
Limau Kasturi or lime, for garnishing
Spring onions or Chinese chives, for garnishing

Method

  1. With 1tbsp of cooking oil, fry prawn heads in a wok till colour changed. Mix fried prawn head and the rest of stock ingredients in a pot, bring to boil and simmer for 1hr (to get about 1.5lt of good stock). Discard the bones and prawn heads.
  2. Fry chili paste with cooking oil till fragrance. Remove 2 and 1/2tbsp and add into stock. Add tamarind peels into stock, continue to boil till flavour, add in salt and sugar and adjust the taste accordingly. The spicy sour gravy is ready, set aside.
  3. With the remaining chili paste, add in dried shrimps, stir fry till nice aroma. Add in rice vermicelli, bean sprout and tofu, stir fry to mix well. Add in the seasonings, mix well and continue to stir fry till cooked. Set aside.
  4. To serve, take a serving of rice vermicelli, then add spicy sour gravy to it. Garnish with hard-boiled eggs and chopped spring onion. And squeeze lime juices if you want strong sour taste for better appetizing.

Updated on 21st Sept 2013
This is the shop that I mentioned. The current shop owner took over this shop from the founder who has been operating around 40 years .
 

 
Mee Siam only available on every Tue and Sat morning from 7am to 12noon..
 


Address:-
Thye Huat


No 22, Lorong Lang,

Taman Berkerly,

41150 Klang

Tel: 03-33418213

34 comments:

Shu Han said...

It's so funny that you say wet version instead of the usual dry version, becaue in Singapore, the wet version is the usual one! I loce mee siam- that sweet spicy tangy flavours altogehter- so delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

irene myme said...

我们SG这里最常见的是Wet version的,反而干的版本很少见到。。。嘻嘻!

Mel said...

Oh my, when I see this post of yours, I want to jump with excitement because I loves wet mee siam. It is hard to find wet mee siam here but in Spore they have very good of this. I have been saving prawns head and shell skin thinking want to make prawn mee ....mmmm.....maybe I change my mind to cook this instead. Saliva drooling looking at your super delicious wet mee siam!!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

i also not trying this wet version mee siam for long long time, faster send in one plate of mee siam before sapu all by others, ha ha ha

Victoria bakes said...

What a feast for my eyes

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I noticed the ingredients used slightly different. in Singapore we normally will put 豆酱 to cook this mee Siam.

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

这道米粉很不错, 我才刚刚想要煮你的Jawa Mee而你又出了好料!

Jozelyn Ng said...

I would love to try this wet version of mee siam! Looks delicious and a bit looks like prawn mee :)

Esther Lau said...

Oh! Wet mee siam sounds good, got to try it one day!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

哎呀
我又看到你的碗了,哈哈

Baby Sumo said...

I love mee siam too, but too bad I am the only one in the family who appreciates it. But I need to try this one day when my kids are older.

Li Shuan said...

Oh ...very nice fried wet mee Siam. I seldom have wet one, already forgotten how it tastes like...look at ur aroma stock I can imagine this is a flavorsome and tasty dish.

One plate pls!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Just like the Singaporean mee siam, their mee siam is the wet version.

CQUEK said...

i love mee siam. especially Singapore Mee Siam.

Veronica said...

I can't remember whether I had this version of Mee Siam before. But I am sure it taste super yummy. I can imagine the wonderful aroma of the stock. Thanks Sonia for sharing.

divya said...

yummy n scrumptious dish..

divya said...

yummy n scrumptious dish..

Angelic Heart~ said...

First time heard about wet mee siam, looks so appetizing.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

See the mee siam makes me wanna have a plate right now, hehe...

Artsylicious said...

Sonia, I love your mee siam, it looks so tempting!!!!! how blessed is your family, good food all the time! (looks like 'maid-less' is not a problem for you .... :)

Unknown said...

I love wet mee siam, the sauce is so flavourful with all the prawns.

Nadji said...

Le genre de plats de nouilles qu'on a envie de manger tous les jours.
J'adore.
See soon

Dumpling Love (@cscc28) said...

I've been looking for a recipe for wet mee siam since forever!! Thank you, SOnia!!! I must try this soon! Finally might be able to fulfil my mee siam craving! haha.

Small Kucing said...

Just had horrible mi siam. Where I Klang is that shop ya?

Dont think I can cook it as well as you

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

looking at your mee siam make me hungry now!!it's been quite an age I visited any blog but your really look great especially your photography really look clear and pro!!

Sally said...

祝你中秋节快乐。。;)

Yummy Bakes said...

Looks so delicious.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

SK, once I got the exact location this Sat, i will update in this post, please hold..

PH said...

I didn't know got wet version! But I still will prefer dry but don't mind to try the wet one.

My Little Space said...

Wow...you really have tempted me with this sourish dish. I am salivating! Must go to try this the next trip to Klang. haha....
Kristy

Ana Regalado said...

Wish I just can grab a bowl straight from the screen *sigh* Your version certainly looks superior to the one you've eaten before ! The next time I buy some prawn , I'll freeze the heads for my future mee siam base lol

lena said...

tho i never tried eating the wet version but if you say spicy and sour, i sure like them!

Anonymous said...

Nice posting. I am currently trying out a Mee Siam recipe which includes 50g dried shrimp (虾米)in the paste. Note: under your list of ingredients, it should be chicken frame (鸡骨)not chicken carcass (carcass refers to 尸体).

Anonymous said...

My mother's original Malay Mee Siam is the best! She follows her great grandmother's original recipe. I love her original Malay Laksa. Outstanding! I'm planning to establish an enterprise to share with the World about these original Malay cuisines.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin