If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, September 9, 2013

Mr & Mrs. Piggy Mooncakes 小猪猪传统月饼

I have been seeing few bloggers made this popular piggy mooncakes from Anncoo's blog. Finally I also made this piggy mooncakes. Thanks to Ann for this wonderful recipe. It was fun when making this little piggy ^_^.


piggy3 copy

 
I just made a small changes. Top with a flower for Mrs. Piggy and a hat for Mr. Piggy (Thanks to my little boy Desmond helping me to do the little hat) 
piggy2 copy


piggy4 copy

 
The first thing is to find a good pair of black beans for the piggy. A pair of nice eyes is very important for this piggy. Thanks to Jessie for sharing this tip and few other tips.
pig6


Preparing the dough. First mix syrup, alkaline and cooking oil in a mixing bowl, lets it rest for 1-2hrs. Then pour the mixture into flour ( I use Hong Kong flour) and knead to a smooth dough. Let it rest for another 1-2hrs. The two resting is to get nicer skin ( Thanks to my friend Katherine sharing with me this tip, even though she is selling mooncakes too).
piggystep1.jpg

 
All ingredients and tools are ready
pig9 copy

 
Lets start shaping piggy mooncake.
Roll into egg shape, place on the plastic sheet, then pull the plastic sheet to the edge of table (As for easy to shaping the piggy )

pig11 copy

 
Use a metal teaspoon (I use 1/4tsp) to press piggy eyelids
pig12 copy

 
use the satay skewer to press a straight line to make the piggy's chin
pig13 copy

 
Then press a straight line at the right and left side for the legs..
pig14 copy
press black beans below the eyelids

pig15 copy
pinch off 3pcs of small round dough for ear and nose, and roll a 1cm straight dough for the tail

pig16 copy

 
press one tiny ball below the eyes as piggy's nose
pig17 copy

 
using a toothpick (remove the end) to make two holes at the nose
pig18 copy

 
Place flat tiny ball at above the eyelids
pig19 copy

 
use satay skewer to press a V on the ear 
pig20 copy

 
turn the piggy around with the plastic sheet and press a short straight line (for "Pi Ku" ^_^)
pig21 copy

 
take the tiny straight  dough, press one end above the line and then twist the tail . A bit tricky but fun to make the tail, hehehe..
pig22 copy
 
 
Mr & Mrs Piggy mooncakes is done
pig28 copy

pig24 copy


pig25 copy


pig26 copy


piggy copy


piggy5 copy

You may refer to few of my blogger friend's piggy mooncakes. They also done a good job:-
1. Helena's kitchen - Indian style
2. Jessie Cooking Moments - cute baby style
3. Crystal - rustic style
It is fun to make this piggy mooncakes, lets join me and make some for your family..

Piggy Mooncakes小猪猪传统月饼
(Recipe source: adapted from Ann@AnncooJournal )
piggy6 copy *Makes 10

To make dough
300g Plain Flour
180g Golden Syrup
6g Alkaline Water or Lye Water
76g cooking oil (I use Knife brand)

Filling
10 x 70g Lotus Paste, store bought

Tools to make piggy shape:
1 x 1/4tsp spoon
1 satay skewer
1 toothpick, remove away the end
A small piece of plastic sheet

20 Black Beans, rinsed & pat dry

Egg wash- 1 egg yok + 1tsp milk (lightly whisk to combine)  
 
Method- click here to view the details steps that shared by Ann.

Bake at 180C for 5mins, rest for 15mins, apply egg wash, bake again at 140C (fan forced) for 25mins (adjust oven temperature according to your type of oven, every oven is difference). Store for 2-3 days before consume (to let the skin turned soft).



61 comments:

0620 said...

Your turn, hehe!!
They are so cute with flowers and hats on top :)

0620 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
victoria bakes said...

sonia!! these are so... so cute!!!! my eyebrows just went awwww when i saw these... especially the ones with flowers....

Veronica said...

So cute! And so much technique involved. Thanks for sharing Sonia.

小雨伞 said...

"Pi Ku" ^_^

哈哈哈!因为这两个字我差点喷水,好好笑!
猪猪好可爱~~
我喜欢戴花朵的女生^^


PH said...

Aiyo, Sonia! The piggies are so cute leh!!!

Penagagirl said...

Nice jobs , u r very patient !

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

wow!! this is so cute!! thanks for the step by step photos!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

very cutie couple, so sweet...
i like your cake stand, looks so elegant

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

好可爱呢
你的手真巧:)

Tracy Low said...

你家的猪我感觉有日本风味哦。哈哈哈!

CQUEK said...

Wow, I’ve not seen something like this, but boy do I want the whole thing now!

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

Hehehe comel tapi kak ros tak boleh nak buat ni. Tadi baru tengok kat rumah kawan kak Ros blog Mayck.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

So cute... I didn't make, no time...

Li Shuan said...

欢迎加入小猪猪团。。。cute 咯!
谢谢你也link了我家。。。原来我的是归纳为印度猪喔哈哈哈。。。

ann low said...

Sonia, So fun and cute to see your piggy family. Really brightens my day!
I love the 'pi ku'... hahahaa..

Use organic and natural ingredients! said...

Hi Sonia, thank you for this impartial sharing. - Susan

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Finally, the piggies have landed on Sonia's house safely, haha! I also found that making the tail was a bit tricky. My "tails" kept broken when I tried to twist them. By the way, my most favourite piggy is the 3rd one from the left on the 2nd picture.

Mel said...

So cutie piggies you have made.... everyone is making piggies. And thank you for the tutorial photos....love viewing one pic after another. All your piggies are so beautifully made. I guess the next few days and weeks shall see more piggies post coming up....

Unknown said...

Wow, so cute! I would also like to try to make some soon.

QembarDelites said...

Really cute indeed! I am sure your children must love them! Hope I can make some on the last weekend:D

A Taste of Memories-- Echo's Kitchen said...

Super cute! I am going to make this!!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

你家的夫妻档的猪仔很可爱,不舍得吃了! 嘻嘻。。

Jozelyn Ng said...

so cute...i have bookmarked this but yet to do...I am impressed by your mr. & mrs piggy

Lite Home Bake said...

They are indeed very cute, too cute to be eaten! So, will mr & mrs piggy be having little piggies in the next few days?? ;-)

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

Oh My God.....so beautiful, cute, adorable.

Cecilia Yap said...

Sonia, those piggies are so cute. Thanks for sharing the detailed steps in making these piggies.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Awwww....so so cute!

Piluka said...

wow! someday I have to try to make them, they look so cute!!! thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Sonia, sure will going to try this.

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Hi Sonia, your piggy mooncakes are so cute! I'm too lazy to shape them this year so I got myself the mooncake moulds haha. Love the addition of flower and hat on top!

irene myme said...

你的猪猪夫妻好可爱呢。今年我没有时间玩这个,反而是挑战传统月饼,真是越玩越疯狂了。。。嘻嘻!!^o^

Mani said...

These look adorable! I wouldn't even want to eat them because they're so cute, haha.

Baking Scientist said...

That's a lot of work and steps! but the result is super cute! :)

jia said...

Hi,
can you share the black bean eyes tips? what brand did u purchase?

Tracy Yap said...

They are so cute and adorable. your walk thru the process so thorougly...perfectly done!

Little blue said...

Hello。。。piggy boys and girls...so cute!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

jia, I just bought it at the Chinese herbs shop. Choose the equal size, look pop out but not look flat. Hope this helps.

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day Sonia! I have a fascination with moon cakes, true!
LOVE your creativity! So cute too!
Cheers! Joanne
@mickeydownunder

Small Kucing said...

they are so cute!!!!!!

nice touch on the flower and cap

Zoe said...

Hi Sonia,

Everyone seems baking these mooncake piggies these days! Yours look very cute too!

Zoe

Casey said...

so so so cute!
thanks for the detailed steps!

Crystal Loh said...

sonia猪仔好可爱唷!哈哈。。,
有girl girl和boy boy的,好讨人喜欢。

Anonymous said...

hihi,

my black beans split and crack open abit showing the inner green. is it temp too high?

lena said...

so cute la..see? their faces look so innocent! great job done, sonia!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

anonymous, ya, I think your oven temp is high resulted bean cracked.

Esther Lau said...

Very popular little piggy, but i have no time to make them this year. Yours piggy looks cute, I "ta pao"some to fill up my stomach,hehe...

A Taste of Memories-- Echo's Kitchen said...

made my golden syrup.. going to try this piggy mooncake! I Hope I can get time!
http://spicehunt.blogspot.com/2013/09/mooncake-golden-syrup-first-step-of.html

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

WOW! These little piggies are so adorable! ;)

Ana Regalado said...

Awwwww so adorable these piggies ! I can't help but grin as I'm scrolling over your photos :D Great job , Sonia !

Ivy said...

Hi Sonia,

my children likes the piglets so much and i have try making them using the method that you post.
but my piglet starts to sag during the 1st bake and sag even more after the rest....
i mixed the flour and let its rest 10hrs, its this the reason why my piglets start sagging?

many thanks to advise

Ivy

Anonymous said...

Sonia, i tried this recipe but my dough doesn't really seem to be smooth. Hence, I thought I might add a little more olive oil. Ended up I can't form a nice dough to wrap up the filling. The moment I started to roll the dough it cracked. Is there any remedy?

Besides, can I replace syrup with honey?

Many thanks for sharing! Lovely piggies!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Anonymous, from you statement above , look like you have change the ingredients. If you want a success piggy mooncake , you have to follow all the exact ingredients given , no replacement , as each of this item play a role to a success mooncake dough.

Rosalind said...

Hi Sonia, my dough also doesn't become smooth. Am I kneaded too long or mixed my liquid ingredients too long? It still sticky to the mixing bowl.I felt there's something wrong with my dough... or am I kneading it not enough or too watery so have to add more flour? Roughly how long do I need to knead?

Eileen Tan said...

Thanks for sharing the steps of doing the piggy. I have some left over dough, may I know how much dough need for a piggy? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Lovely....Eagerly waiting to try this out. Thanks ya for sharing

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia
I tried this recipe just last week. This should be my third time using this recipe n it has been great.
However this year, the skin tasted of the used oil taste if you know what I mean. I wonder if its coz my peanut oil or my alkaline water (slightly expired). Have u experienced similar before n can advice what is e likely reason for my problem? Thanks so much!
Rgds
Cecilia

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Cecelia, it might due to the peanut oil you used, did you change the oil this year?

Unknown said...

Very cute piggie!! Btw, may i know what is hong kong flour?

Unknown said...

Very cute piggie!! Btw, may i know what is hong kong flour?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Alyssa, try to find this flour from bakery ingredients shop.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin