If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, September 6, 2013

Colourful Snowskin Mooncakes 彩色冰皮月饼

This is my 1st batch of mooncakes this year, made this for my two sons and my sister who prefer snowskin mooncake. This time, I found a very easy to handle snowskin recipe. At first, I was thinking to make 100% natural colours of mooncake, but the end, I have to replace some with food colouring to bring out the nice colour tone. Nevertheless, I was happy to see the natural nice blue from blue pea flower (bunga telang).

SM3


sm

 
One tip to share, make sure you add the colouring into the water first but not add into dough later as when you work more, the dough tend to turned rough.
Like this example, I use strawberry powder for pink, so first I dissolved this powder with water first before mix with flour.
You can see the orange one is a bit rough, because I use yellow dough to add with red food colouring, work too much, it became rough!

sm9

 
Since I didn't prepare pandan paste, I blend 2pcs pandan leaves only and the green colour is not that strong, so I have to drop some green food colouring
sm8
I just use this type of jelly mould to imprint the rose pattern

sm7

 
Snowskin mooncake is very easy to prepare.
First sieve koh fun and icing sugar

sms1

Rub in the shortening 
sms2


sms3

 
add in coloured iced cold water
sms4

 
Don't worry if you see the mixture is wet, just continue to mix
sms5

 
It will turn to smooth but don't over work it !
sms6

 
Like this mini size of mooncake, handy and can choose your favourite colour ^_^
sm5


Colourful Snowskin Mooncakes 彩色冰皮月饼
(recipe source: adapted the basic recipe from Hearty Bakes,with changes)
*makes 8pcs (for one colour)

38g Koh hun (cooked glutinous rice flour) 糕粉
38g Icing sugar糖粉
sms7 13g Shortening白油
45g Iced Cold water冷水

White lotus paste filing

Method
1. Weigh lotus paste of 20g each. Shape into rounds and set aside.
2. Sieve koh fun and icing sugar into a big bowl. Rub in the shortening and add in iced water, mix to form a dough. Remove and roll into a long strip. Scale at 15g each and roll into rounds. Flatten and wrap in lotus paste balls.
3. Place the dough into a mooncake mould. Press firmly, dislodge imprinted mooncake from mould.
 

To make with difference colour, replace cold water with:-
White- plain cold water
Yellow-mango juices + yellow food colouring
Orange-yellow dough + red food colouring
Pink- dissolve strawberry paste into cold water
Green-cooked pandan water + green food colouring, store in the fridge to let it cool.
Blue- cooked blue pea flower water, store in the fridge to let it cool.

I am submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up September - Pandan hosted by Joceline @ Butter, Flour & Me, organized by Zoe@ Bake For Happy Kids and Mui Mui @ My Little Favourites DIY

53 comments:

Tracy Low said...

很漂亮的彩色冰皮月饼!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

this colourful mooncake really enlighten my day

Baking Scientist said...

Your mooncakes look very cute indeed :)

Unknown said...

wa.. so colourful. nice leh.

Victoria Bakes said...

so cute and mini! reminds me of a snowskin mooncake advertisement by 张智霖

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Nice, cute, colourful...

Mel said...

The mini mooncakes look so sweet with those pastel colours. It sure makes one difficult to choose....

Little blue said...

So cute and nice ~ can share me some, I didn't made this year....

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

每个颜色的都给我来一个,哈哈

The Experimental Cook said...

Your mooncakes are awesome! I am very motivated to make some myself!

Sally said...

彩虹色彩。。好美喔。

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia家的月饼,很和风哦!!!

Fion said...

pretty,colorful...awesome!

Ling yuen chin said...

看了就想吃! 好像很容易做,也想试一试!
谢谢你的分享!!

Katherine said...

So pretty and what a good idea to use jelly mould, clap, clap.

Unknown said...

Love the beautiful colours of these mooncakes.

Esther Lau said...

What a lovely and colourful roses!!!!! Sui dang dang :)

Yummy Bakes said...

Wah ... so pretty and colorful.

Casey said...

So colourful, nice and beautiful mooncakes!

Penagagirl said...

Rainbow mooncake, wonderful !

Unknown said...

Nice colour!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Oh, these mooncakes can really cheer up someone's day by just looking at them! Not too sinful to eat a few since they are so tiny!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

这7彩的月饼, 仿佛看到了一道彩虹。
那种心情是很美的呢!

Li Shuan said...

好缤纷亮丽的月饼,朵朵玫瑰看得人都醉了!

ann low said...

Love these colourful mooncakes. Too pretty to eat!

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

Snow skin moon cakes also my son favourites. Yours look so simple to make and the mini moon cakes so cute. Sure will try it out. Definitely my son will go crazy eating it. Thanks for sharing.

Crystal Loh said...

哇!好漂亮五彩缤纷的月饼,好讨人喜欢。

Gloria Baker said...

these mooncakes look just beautiful!!

ice pandora said...

I am not a huge fan of the traditional mooncakes but I
loveeee eating snowskin
mooncakes! Natural food
coloring is even better c:
Xx

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Sonia, love these mini mooncakes! it looks so pretty and i like the idea of using the usual jelly mould!

PH said...

Sonia, I like lah! Small, pretty and cute!

Jozelyn Ng said...

Sonia, you are so pandai! I love this mini mooncake!

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day Sonia and your moon cakes and photos are lovely, true!
I have a fascination with moon cakes yet have never tried on too!
Cheers! Joanne
@mickeydownunder

CQUEK said...

The colours on the plate make it look like a work of art too. Quite a shame to eat it!

Anonymous said...

i love mooncake, but i never made it myself/..
this is tempting to try,
btw, we used to calle the koh fun as hongkong flour here....

Baby Sumo said...

Your snowskin mooncakes are so pretty... for sale or not? ;)

My Little Space said...

Gosh, we are so close to mid autumn festival already. Love your natural flavouring of these little chilled mooncake. I haven't started mine yet. Still busy planning for my next trip with hubby. Ya, more honeymoon trip. haha....
Hope you're having a lovely evening.
Blessings, Kristy

Small Kucing said...

you are very creative la. I never thought of using this as mould

Cecilia Yap said...

These courful moon cakes makes my day too. Good idea to use the jelly mould.

QembarDelites said...

I still have some kao fen which I can use to make this, looks so colorful and pretty!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

OMG, Sonia! So pretty!!! I'm really impressed. I'd rather want to buy moon cake from you than those store bought kinds. Pinned!

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

Sonia, so cute, Kak ros pun buat benda yang sama masa buat mooncake durian, campurkan food coloring dalam air, dan bila baca sonia pun buat macam tu jugak.
Kak Ros is planning to do the mooncake denagn budak-budak kat tadika on the 19 sept, idea yang Sonia bagi ni amat la kena pada masanya .Thank u ya. Kak Ros nak share resepinya.

shan said...

很可爱的冰皮月饼,让我今年也想来点不同的色彩。

蚊子 said...

so colourful!!! love it so much~ can i have one here? hehe

Lori said...

What beautiful colors! I had my first moon cake just a couple weeks ago! I can't believe it took me so long. It led me to searching for molds online and I quickly remembered all the wonderful recipes on your blog. I hope to try making my own.

Zoe said...

Hi Sonia,

Your colourful mooncakes are so pretty!

Always thumbs up for super-dedicated creations!

Zoe

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,

What if I can't get hold of cooked glutinous rice flour? How can I cook the glutinous rice flour myself? Thanks in advance.

Chin

Red Velvet said...

Hi Sonia, just 2 check if the cooked glutinous rice is the type that I can do myself by frying the packaging type I bought from d supermarket in a dry wok? If yes, how long normally must I take to fry d glutinous flour? Pls advise as I find your snow skin moon cake look so nice & yummy!!

lena said...

pretty colours! seeing these reminds me of your colourful siew mai!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Hi Chin & Red Velvet, sorry, I have never prepared cooked glutinous rice flour by myself before. But I saw a Chinese blogger prepare her own Kor Fun (cooked glutinous flour), check here-
http://closeto-u.blogspot.com/2013/09/blog-post_3315.html
If you need me to translate, let me know. I shall try it out if I got time later.

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia,

This is my first time leaving comment here, tried your recipe yesterday, it turned out good! (Well, it happened that we have the same jelly mould as well,LOL)

Will try my second batch of snowskin mooncake today, but will add a bit of wheat starch to create some semi-transparent appearance.... hope it will go well :D

Yannie said...

I am tied up in the office, and I am too late to read this post. Next year, I must try this. Thanks Sonia.

Ana Regalado said...

I prefer snowy mooncakes as well ! Your homemade ones look wonderful :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin