If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Kuih Bangkit (tapioca biscuits) 茨粉饼/番婆饼~~欢喜过马年

Kuih Bangkit (or tapioca biscuits) is one of my family favourite's CNY cookie. Earlier I have hard time to remove the kuih from the traditional wooden mould. But not for this year, I have found the solution and it was a breeze to make Kuih Bangkit using wooden mould this time.



 
I have this traditional wooden mould 

 
I like Owl shape the most! what about you? and I like their shape, very tiny !


 
In my old recipe, I forgot to mention that to use fresh concentrated coconut milk. Every year, I have to get my husband to squeeze coconut milk from fresh grated coconut by not adding any water.
My husband squeezed until "mein chi chi" (over exhausted), hahaha !!
 
By using concentrated coconut milk, this Kuih Bangkit is full of coconut aromatic, crunchy and melt in your mouth once it hit your salivate!
 
 I found out that the dough has to be on dry side, then only easy to remove from wooden mould (So this biscuit will have some crack after baked)  I have record a video, you may check out.


 
Please adjust the amount of coconut milk used in this recipe, it is depend the dryness of your flour and thickness of the fresh coconut milk you used (if you use store bought or can coconut milk, they have difference texture)..
Kuih Bangkit(tapioca biscuits) 茨粉饼/番婆
*makes about 250pcs
To dry and cook flours
500g tapioca flour
165g sago flour
4 screwpine (pandan) leaves, cut into small pieces 3”
Method
  1. Stir fry tapioca flour and sago flour with pandan leaves in a clean wok for 45mins over low heat until flour very light and slightly turned yellow.
  2. When you see pandan leaves turned dry, remove from the flour, otherwise it will break into small pieces, it is hard to remove later (otherwise sieve the flours once cooked).
  3. Cool flour for 3 days (if you intend to keep longer, then store in air-tight container and keep inside the fridge)
To make Kuih Bangkit
420g cooked flour
2 egg yolks (35g)
170g icing sugar, sifted
220g fresh concentrated coconut milk-from two grated old coconuts (simply squeeze out from grated coconut by not adding water) , adjust accordingly
Method
  1. Whisk egg yolk until creamy, add in icing sugar and half coconut milk, whisk till combine.
  2. Add in cooked flour, slowly add in the balance coconut milk (little by little) into mixture, mixing by hand till mixture clings together to form a dough (the dough is slightly dry).
  3. Dust a wooden Kuih Bangkit mould with extra cooked flour, press dough hard into the mould. Trim excess dough. Tap gently on hard surface to remove the kuih. Repeat. Set aside extra coconut milk to add in dough when dough turned too dry.
  4. Bake in preheated oven at 160c for 20-25mins (middle rack)
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover
 
 

I am linking this post to Bake Along event, Chinese New Year Cookies for the month of Jan 2014 organised by Lena of Frozen Wing, Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

57 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves this, but i never made this before, a lot of work...

Veronica said...

Sonia I love your kuih Bangkit mould, they are so pretty. Lucky you, you have a strong man to help you squeeze the coconut cream.

Mel said...

I thought you wont be posting your kuih bangkit but am I glad when I see this..... you know which animal I like most as they are indeed so cute and pretty. Yes, I agree with Veronica....lucky you to have your strong man to help you out.

Jozelyn Ng said...

well done! i like the owl shape too. never see the owl shape before. i believe this cookies smell so good with pure coconut milk. love it!

Sem said...

I am glad to see your post here,it's my first time making kuih bangkit and two batches I made also failed ,maybe I didn't get the dough texture right, your dough looks crumbly and easy to knock out from the mould. Your mould is very unique and beautiful too, especially the owl.
Where do you buy this mould?

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

超级美丽的
我要鱼鱼的,ok??

Unknown said...

wOW..sONIa...is really nice and lovely... i failed when i bake last week ago coz i forgotten to put eggs...i was too over excited...hahaha...

CQUEK said...

This sounds so good! my favourite

Li Shuan said...

Kuih bangkit is also one of my fav. new year cookies. I like to owls they are cute.
Last night my sis told me she bought me a container from hometown ...can't wait to eat some. Meanwhile steal a few from u

Crystal Loh said...

哇!我爱这年饼,更爱那个猫头鹰。可爱欢喜

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Kuih Bangkit sound not easy to make, yours one look so lovely, I especially like the owl, it looks adorable with its little red eyes!!

ann low said...

I love kuih bangkit too! Thank you very much for sharing your video :)

小食代 said...

Wah, lucky to know this solution.
by the way, my sis try to figure out one of these shape, whether it is a shell or sea-horse..

Min said...

I miss kuih bangkit! I love the owl shape the most too :)

Unknown said...

yummy yummy 我也喜欢猫头鹰!~

先恭祝你新年快乐,健康平安,如意吉祥

Baby Sumo said...

Haha Sonia, I agree squeezing coconut milk is a man's job. I really like your kuih bangkit, so cute and my fav is also the owl. :)

Esther Lau said...

I love the owl most!!! So cute your kuih bangkit but lot of hard work behind especially the squeeze coconut milk part. Thumb up to your hubby too :))

Lite Home Bake said...

These are beautiful, Sonia! I am really impressed by how easy the dough is dislodged from the mould (mine failed big time), can't help admiring yours, i watched it twice :))

Angie's Recipes said...

Definitely worth all the efforts! They look sensational.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

So cute and delicious looking biscuits.Excellent preparation.
Deepa

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Woah, really a lot of work! Lucky you have your someone to help you! These kueh bangkit looks so delicious! Doubt I'll want to make this anytime soon... until I find someone who's willing to help me squeeze the coconut milk! ;)

Artsylicious said...

Sonia, I like the fish and the owl! they are so cute! The way you described the cookies make me miss kuih bangkih!

Gloria Fernandes said...

These cookies look so adorable..lovely clicks as usual.

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

我也是喜欢这个猫头鹰, 很可爱!

Zoe said...

Hi Sonia,

I had this problem when I made my kueh bangkit! Your video is brilliant!!! Thanks for your "enlightenment"!

Zoe

Victoria Bakes said...

Great tutorial! Oh wow.... Freshly squeezed coconut.... I really kowtow to your meticulous use of ingredients. Your kuih bangkit must be 天渊之别 from the usual ones....

Small Kucing said...

you are making my hand itchy lehhhhh....but hve to cool flour for 3 days...hmm...not enough time leh

Bakericious said...

Sonia, I love the owl shape too, looks so so cute!

0620 said...

Thanks for the video sharing
下次我要做番婆饼的时候
就有个概念了 ^^

Ana Regalado said...

Your tapioca cookies reminds me of Mel's :D Love the different shapes , so pretty ! Two thumbs up for your hubby lol

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, my hubby did the difficult kneading. Thanks for confirming that the dough must be dry [that's why it is crumbly at the beginning] to get melt in mouth KB.

Anonymous said...

A couple of questions. What is sago flour and why did you need to use two type of flours for this cookies?

daphne said...

I love how you tried it again this year! I agree, I like the owl one best too. LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, thank you for sharing this recipe. I tried baking today with Ayam brand coconut cream. It turn out really well despite this is my 1st attempt.
JJmum

Juliana said...

Oh Sonia, these cookies are so cute...I never had this kind of cookie made of tapioca flour...they look light...
Thanks for the recipe and hope you are enjoying your week my dear :D

MiChi said...

thanks for sharing... I don't really like this biscuit, but so many relatives and friends around me love the taste... maybe I should try it out this year and give them as CNY gift

Little Corner of Mine said...

The mould is so cute! Love this cookie.

Anonymous said...

One of my fave cookies,
sounds quite an effort, but i guess it's worthed because it's melted in the mouth...
my mom used to add sesame seed on top of kue bangkit,
great job Sonia!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sem, I got it from the usual shop ^_^

anonymous, I learnt to mix sago flour with tapioca flour from the owner of bakery shop who said it taste nicer and a lot of peoples are doing this way.

lena said...

thx for showing the video, i now have an idea how dry the dough should look like... must be a tough job squeezing coconut milk without water..:D

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Sonia,
Kuih bangkit is a favourite for most of us. The owl shape is really cute!
Thanks for sharing and linking with Bake-Along!

cikmanggis said...

Hi Sonia..
Cutenya si burung hantu tu....cny tahun ni saya tak buat biskut :(
Nampak sungguh cantik biskut yg Sonia buat ni....cantik daripada yg dibeli di kedai.;)

cikmanggis said...

Hi Sonia..
Cutenya si burung hantu tu....cny tahun ni saya tak buat biskut :(
Nampak sungguh cantik biskut yg Sonia buat ni....cantik daripada yg dibeli di kedai.;)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Sonia! You've been SUPER busy with baking and getting ready for CNY! Sorry I haven't been here for a while (reading your newsletter on iphone most of the time lately). I enjoyed your video! The owl shape is super adorable and I love the mold!

My Little Space said...

Looks like you've been extremely busy preparing the CNY cookies. This year I've no mood to start up anything. Wish I can try making this one day. Sounds pretty easy.
Blessings, Kristy

Unknown said...

Hi Sonia, is it necessary to cool flour for 3 days? what if I let it to sit for just a day? pls advice, thanks.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Jermine, yes you have to, because the flour need several days to cool it down completely. If you try, you can check the next 1-2days, you still feel warm when you touch the flour.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, I enjoy your blog. I love your mould especially the Owl :). Is it possible to buy this mould online or at local shops? Please advise which shops I could purchase the Kueh Bangkit and Dragon Mooncake moulds you have. Thanks!

t3ngt3ng said...

Hi Sonia, do u have any idea why my bangkit puffed up? I tried twice and both times also the same. First time used can coconut cream and second time used freshly squeezed coconut milk. Is it because I whisked the egg yolk too long? They melt in the mouth though.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

t3ng3ng, it shouldn't puff up too much actually since there is no rising agent added, ya probably you beaten egg yolk too long.

supergurl said...

Try baking this bake din melt in the mouth not sure which part went wrong so sad.

kaihui said...

Hello Sonia,

I've came across a few recipe that bakes the flour instead of stir frying them in a wok.
Is it possible to do that too for your recipe?

Kae

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Kaihui, yes you can, but I prefer this old method which you can really dry up probably the flour and resulted light texture of kuih .

kaihui said...

Thanks for the prompt reply! I can't wait to try it out. But may I know how many days can I store before it turns bad?

kaihui said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cw said...

Hi, your kueh bangkit looks nice, btw, mind to share where did you get the wooden mould? Thanks

Pearle said...

I've tried yr pineapple tart recipe. And it taste really good as I expected.
I'll try this next cny! Thanks for yr recipe ^.^ hope to see more recipes from yr blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin