Fish maw itself taste is bland, so you need other ingredients to give it flavours..
How to cook..
To cook this nice dish, suggest to use Kampong Koh chili sauce ..
Still remember this old fashioned of soup bowl with " a boy playing ping pong", got last two pieces from the usual shop..
Spicy and Sour Fish Maw Soup (Foochow style) 酸辣鱼鳔
60g ready to use fried Fish maw (check here on how to deep fry ), soak in water for 1hr till soften, squeeze of water then ready to use150g minced pork
3 shitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced
5g black fungus mushrooms, soaked and sliced
20g carrot, julienned
130g fresh bamboo shoot, cook in hot boiling water for 10mins, julienned
3 slices young ginger
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 small soup bowls stock (I use ikan bilis stock)1/3cup chili sauce ( I use Kampong Koh chilli sauce)
1/4cup tomato ketchup
2-3tbsp dark vinegar, adjust accordingly to your preference
1 and 1/2tsp salt or to taste
1 egg, lightly beaten
1tbsp tapioca starch or corn starch, add 2tbsp water
Coriander for garnish
- Heat oil in a wok, sauté garlic and ginger till aroma. Add in minced pork, stir fry for 1-2mins, add in mushroom, black fungus, bamboo shoot and carrot, stir fry for a while.
- Add in the stock and fish maw, bring to boil and simmer for about 5mins. Then add in chili sauce and tomato ketchup, mix well and continue simmer for about 10mins or until fish maw is cooked.
- Season with salt and black vinegar, taste and adjust accordingly.
- Mix in tapioca starch with water to thicken the soup to your liking, then do an egg drop method with the beaten egg, swirl the wok and trickle the egg into wok slowly.
- Garnish with coriander before serving, and serve warm.