I learnt how to make this gurung bread from a friendly Nepali mama at the tea house from Granduk village. According to our guide, this gurung bread is the food for Gurung people, also called Tamu, read more here.
Gurung bread prepared by different tea house that we stayed. Usually they serve with honey or jam. Some menu even has cheese gurung. This bread tasted like Chinese 's Ham Chee Peng .
One of the tea house's kitchen frying Gurung bread for us..
I even bought a rolling pin from Kamantdu Nepal that used by Nepali kitchen to make gurung bread
Gurung bread is easy to make with few ingredients that easily found in our kitchen..
Gurung Bread (Nepali bread ) 尼泊尔式面包*makes 4200g all purpose flour1 and 2tbsp caster sugar ( can increase to 2tbsp)1/8tsp salt1/2tsp baking powder50g water50g egg ( 1 medium size egg)
Oil for deep fryingMethod
- Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add in wet ingredients (water and egg), knead till a smooth dough. Set aside for 30mins.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions ( as per your preference, you can even made into mini size).
- Use a rolling pin, roll the dough into oval shape on a floured worktop, thickness about 2-3mm (don’t too thin, otherwise it can’t puff up).
- Use a sharp knife, Cut two parallel lines into the dough.
- Deep fry the dough in hot oil over medium to low heat till bread is golden brown and puffing up (flip the dough while frying for even browning).
- Place on kitchen paper towels to absorb excessive oil.
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover