If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, September 17, 2010

Churros

Our 1st time tasted Churros was in Gold Coast Australia but not in Malaysia. We bought two Churros (at least 1 feet long in size) before we exit from the Dreamland. My kids were impressed after tasted their 1st Churros and keep saying not enough and wanted me to buy more, but too bad I can't buy for them since we have came out from the Dreamland. And I promised to them I will make Churros once we came back home, as I know I will get a good recipe from my blogger friend.

Churros

We like the cripsy outer and inner soft texture of Churros, best to eat it while hot!
Churros




Recipe was adapted from Zurin (Cherry on cake) but I did not prepared the hot chocolate dip and cinnamon sugar, as I just followed exactly to the way how we tasted in Gold Coast Australia, plain Churros with white sugar. Zurin's recipe is very close to what we tasted, Thanks to Zurin for kind sharing.

Churros

150g plain flour
150g self raising flour
100g caster sugar
50g butter
400ml water
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
1/4tsp cinnamon powder

Cooking oil for deep frying
Extra caster sugar for coating

Method

1. Sift both flours and cinnamon powder together and put aside.
2. Put water, sugar and butter in a large heavy based pan and bring to a gentle simmer stirring until the sugar dissolves.
3. Add flours and stir immediately and vigorously until it becomes a smooth and quite stiff paste and the dough leaves the sides of the pan.
4. Transfer the dough to a mixer, add in 2 egg yolk and 1 whole egg, and beat over medium speed until well combined.
5. Heat up cooking oil over medium flame.
6. Either use piping bag with nozzle to squeeze out the dough or just roll them into ropes and use fork to make the lines (this was how i did as I don't have a big nozzle)
7. Deep fry till golden brown, and toss with sugar.

This hand painted boomerang (bought back as sourenir) is perfectly match with Churros in this picture since we 1st tasted them in Australia

Churros

Happy Baking !!

39 comments:

HK Choo said...

Nice golden churros, Sonia :)

tigerfish said...

They look like Chinese You Tiao (or rather You-Tiao-Donut Hybrid) but I know there are different. There are Churros in US too but you know what - I have not tried them before!

Pete said...

Mat Salleh Yau Char Kwai...he he he!

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Hy Sonia,
Thanx for dropping by..

Sooper tempting churros...sluppppp:)

Tasty appetite

Angie's Recipes said...

Churros...reminds me of our "Youtiao". :-)) I like them.

chow and chatter said...

oh wow I beat your kids were in heaven yummy, your such a great Mum have a lovely weekend

Happy Homebaker said...

Churros reminds me of 'you zha kueh', you are very talented mum, can whip up anything easily :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

No need to go any theme park for such lovely snacks! Home made and much more delicious I bet, thanks for sharing this, will try it. :)

Sarah Naveen said...

nice clicks..looks so delicious...

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sonia, these look delicious. I love churros and the ones you produced look wonderful. I'll wager they taste as good as they look. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

ann low said...

I've never tried churros before. I can tell from your picture that this is a delicious snack.

Jane Chew said...

nice nice nice churros! so... do u know how to play boomerang ady? hehe...

Barbara said...

Those look heavenly, Sonia! And really not difficult to make, either. I wish I had that plate in front of me right now!

My Little Space said...

I'm sure your children are thrilled when they saw these! haha... The photos terrific! I'm drooling already. I have yet to try this. Thanks for the recipe and have a wonderful evening.
Goodight, Kristy

ReeseKitchen said...

Wa, nice one! I always saw this on tv. From your photos I know this is really delicious even I haven't try before. Thanks for sharing this recipe..:)

WendyinKK said...

I bookmarked Zurin's recipe too.
You made them a foot long too??

HL H said...

It remind me that I tasted it about 10 years ago when I went for my honeymoon at
Australia. Will try to do this some time. Look nice.

petite nyonya said...

this is smthg like our local yau char kwai :) but looks so much easier to do. i would love to try it.

温馨小屋 said...

看起来就像外面卖的一样,好诱人哦!我也要试做看看!

Colin Woon said...

You're such a good mom! Kept your promise to your kids. I bet these churros you made is fantastic, looks much better than the one I can get from the store here.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks great! I first tasted them in Costco. LOL!

Namitha said...

Love them..My neighbor friend shared this and everyone loved it :-)...Will try your recipe now :-)

Pam said...

Great! It looks delicious! I'm glad to see you back and hope your sister is doing well.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Tigerfish - they sell churros at Costco, and my kids always clamored for them when we went shopping there. Quite delicious, with the cinnamon sugar!

Love2cook Malaysia said...

Owh WOW, simply irresistible churros! Ur kids are lucky...mom cooks anything they want...hehehe ;)

My Little Space said...

Sonia, thank you so much for your encouragement & support. That's very kind of you. I think there's no harm trying. At the begining I was so chicken out, don't know want to press on the publish button or the delete button. Well, what the heck! Just go ahead! There's nothing to lose anyway. ^_^
Regards, kristy

Nadji said...

Tes churros sont magnifiques et doivent être délicieux.
Bravo mon amie.
Bon weekend et à bientôt.

MaryMoh said...

The churros look perfect. I love churros too but I haven't seen any as long as 1 foot!!

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

I put on tonnes of weight eating churros for breakfast almost every morning when we were living in Spain...

I like it just with sugar too.

Pei-Lin said...

I myself haven't had churros so far. I'd imagine dipping the treats in thick luscious hot choc will make them even a more sinful indulgence ... Served plain with just sugar also sounds good!

Anonymous said...

Shame on me, this is the first time I heard about this.. This looks yummy to me =]

Bakericious said...

I have not tried this snack b4, looks so delicious.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, thanks for stopping by, look like quite many of you did not try Churros before, do try out this yummy recipe.

Terrianne, Call me Ree said...

I love that no matter where you are in the world, even if you can't buy something that isn't native to where you are, you can probably make it yourself at home. And it might even taste better~! These are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hmm..i still remember when i visited there in 1997. It was delicious and we bought about 5 pcs and it cost around $3 each. But worth the taste!!

Parames ^_^

Leanne said...

Hi Sonia, have been trying your churros recipe, unfortunately, mine is dense and soft the moment I took them out of the wok, any reason for it? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia

I would like to try this recipe over this weekend. They look delicious ;o). May I know when do you add the 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder?

Felicia

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Felicia, sorry, should be add at the stage 1, sift together with the flours..Thanks for the highlight.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, I tried this Churros recipe on Saturday and I failed ;o(. The mixture is too watery. Nevertheless, I went ahead to fry ... thought out of shape and look real funny, the taste is still ok. Could you confirm if the water is 400ml or 200ml?

Felicia

Blog Widget by LinkWithin