If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, January 6, 2012

Asam Chai Ber ( Braised Sour Roast meat with Chinese mustard) 菜尾



I would considered this Asam Chai Ber is one of the Chinese New Year dish. This is a dish that using leftover roasted meat (pork, chicken, duck, lamb , beef & etc) especially during Chinese New Year, and braise with Chinese mustard (Kai Choy), a lot of tamarind peels (that why this dish called Asam means sour) and dried chilies..You will be wondering why i can cook this Chai Ber since another 2 weeks only we celebrating CNY..Because I have a lot of leftover roasted lamb from a party which was held in my house on last Sunday.




Assam Chai Ber ( Braised Sour Roast meat with Chinese mustard)



I use this type of Chinese mustard (kai choy).

Chinese Mustard


Very easy to cook but taste yummy!

Picnik collage


I can just take this one dish with a lot of rice..

Assam Chai Ber ( Braised Sour Roast meat with Chinese mustard)



Asam Chai Ber ( Braised Sour Roast meat with Chinese mustard)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

1kg leftover roasted meats (chicken, duck, pork, lamb & etc), I use roasted lamb this time
Assam Chai Ber ( Braised Sour Roast meat with Chinese mustard)1 head (~ 700g) Kai Choy (Chinese mustard)
5 dried chilies, soak for 10mins and cut
1 tomato, cut into wedges
1 big carrot, cut into chunks
4pcs tamarind peel (asam keping)
2 pickled sour plums
2” ginger, mashed
½ whole garlic

1250ml water

1tsp salt
1tbsp light soy sauce
1tsp sugar

Method
2. Combine all ingredients, except Chinese mustard, tomato and seasonings in a large heavy-bottom pot.
3. Add water to cover ingredients. Boil over high heat, then simmer over low heat with cover for 30mins.
4. Add Chinese mustard and tomato and seasonings, continue to cook over low heat for about 25mins till mustard is well-braised, but not overcooked or mushy.

Assam Chai Ber ( Braised Sour Roast meat with Chinese mustard)

** The taste of my Asam Chai Ber is quite mild as i need to suit my kid's taste. You may adjust the amount of tamarind peel (asam keping) , pickled sour plum (replaced with tamarind peel if you can't find this) and dried chili to suit your taste. Anyway, we still prefer this dish to cook with roasted pork or chicken instead of lamb.



I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #15: Auspicious Dishes for CNY (January 2012) which is hosted by Wen's Delight.


43 comments:

Mel said...

Oh.... this is one of my favourites! Just looking at the photos already making me drooling down to my keyboard now! Alamak! I can eat the whole pot!

Hody Loh said...

i think it is a CNY dish.cos my mum sure will cook this dish on 3th of CNY.cos got a lot of leftover dish.hehehe....this dish is my family favorites.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Lunch time coming...

Sherleen.T said...

when i was reading the title, i think this must be a very complicated dish...but after going through the method, ehhhh...not difficult to operate wow...
thanks for sharing, i can share this with my MIL too...:)

3 hungry tummies said...

I looked forward to this every year after CNY for this dish :) speaking of which is a few weeks away. Happy new year Sonia!

Wen said...

Happy New Year Sonia! Thanks for your participation! I love this dish too!

Torviewtoronto said...

looks wonderful and healthy

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

This is my fav dish , very appetizing and versatile. Sometimes my mum uses leftover roasted duck.

Last year I did a twist by using radish, shall post it if have time . :)

Roses_Leo09 aka Hanim said...

is this the same as chai boi? i like it. My chinese friends did introduce me with this dish (use chicken) but never try yet.

ICook4Fun said...

This is one of my family fav dish. My mom will cook this on the 2nd day of CNY. I will cook this once a while too if I gather enough leftovers roast meat in my freezer.

Ana Regalado said...

Your photos makes me drool as always :D It looks really appetizing !

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I have heard of this dish before. Your version looks delicious! Love this large bowl. It's so hard to find one like this here...

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个我可以一口气吃很多
酸辣口味是我的最爱:)

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that you put this dish up cos my non-Hokkien friends in Sg had never come across it until I cooked it for them. And in France, my french neighbours and friends all love it. In my family, we call it the Big Veggie soup in Hokkien.
I can eat lots of rice with this too. Good luck to your contest.
~~sohcool

Anonymous said...

i love love this dish so much. my mum always cook this for us and i love eating it with porridge.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia never disappoint us with all her good food! When I was young, my neighbour always cook this dish for the entire village after someone's wedding. Coz it was the time we were found with too much of leftover food, after the wedding banquet & their asam chai ber was the best. I haven't had this dish since I have moved to Sydney. Will surely copy the recipe & cook it one day. My parents-in-law never try this dish before but I'm sure that they are going to love it. Thanks for sharing with us, Sonia is the best!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Oh, question, question, what is pickle plums?In Cantonese, do we call pickle plums as "xun mui?" And as for the tamarind peel, did you mean 1-4 pieces?

E @ Act Fast Chef said...

This looks so good! I wish I could taste it!

Shoutforfood said...

Oooh my goodness! I am drooling over here...i want to have a bowl please. Happy New Year 2012.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Jessie, sorry sorry, the tamarind peel is 4pcs, typo error. Ya, the pickled plum is Xun mui that usually sell in glass bottle and usually add in Teochew steamed fish. If you not able to find plum then you just increase the amount of tamarind peel and tomato.

divya said...

wat a fantastic recipe...absolute delicious curry..:)

ping said...

What a coincidence! I'd made this yesterday and having it today for dinner ... as in, right now! It does taste better the day. I've never been able to get a nice shot of all that jumble of ingredients but you've done a really nice job, Sonia. I'm going to have mine with some sambla belacan now ...

Small Kucing said...

i love this! Normally i cook this but i use the leafy mustard leaf instead of the one with the large stem

Lite Home Bake said...

I love this dish, i always wait for it to turn up during CNY. Normally, it happens at Ah Mah's place where the reunion is held, evoking beautiful memories...kamsia

Imo Teo said...

This is my husband's favourite dishes, yesterday my mom just cook for our lunch...yummy~^^

lena said...

we are bound to cook this after cny and we can see the prices of kai choy will soar..always have this with roasted pork leg and chicken.

Jes's Deli Corner said...

My favourite Kai choy..my mom in law always make this on CNY..Sonia, this for sharing the recipe..will bookmark this

Little Corner of Mine said...

What a great idea to use roasted lamb to make chai boi! I had lots of roasted lamb before and why I didn't thought of this!

freerangegirl said...

A great way to use leftovers, this looks delicious!

Julie said...

Yummilicious!!

Erivum Puliyum

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Looks good. How convenient, we usually have plenty of roast chicken leftovers.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Asam Chai Ber, more spicy and more sour pls.... ^_^

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I used to dislike mustard greens when I was young, but now I love it! Haven't try this dish before, looks yummy! Thanks for sharing your home tradition with us!

Christine's Pantry said...

This looks wonderful. Would love to have a bowl of this.

Lrong Lim said...

Used to eat this when I was a child... goes really well with rice...

Pete said...

Wah, chai boei......I love it very much....with lots of roast pork bones in it.....saliva dripping liao!

Cheah said...

This is one of my favourite dishes and I never fail to have this when I see it at the economy rice stalls. Yours look so delicious.

Shu Han said...

love chai ber!!! yum yum! It's so good I think it shouldn't be classified as a leftover dish.

Zoe said...

This is amazing transformation! I wouldn't think that this delicious dish is made from the leftover.

sean said...

刚才去了FB看到了这道菜,
已经流了不少的口水。
现在又来你家流口水,
呵呵。。。

tigerfish said...

I like that you used fresh Gai Choy instead of the preserved ones.

Quay Po Cooks said...

I can eat the whole pot of this by myself! LOL!

Sem said...

My mum used to cook this dish when we were young, and she called it "Kun Loong Wong Choy", loosely translated as the " dish of Ching Dynasty Emperor".

Blog Widget by LinkWithin