I took four homemade salted eggs out from the fridge after kept it for 10days to making this dish, deep fried prawns coated with salted egg yolk. This dish also can be served in Chinese New Year Re-union dinner..
Egg yolks (before steam) from homemade salted eggs..
Just eating this deep fried prawns alone, also very yummy..
What to do with the leftover salted egg white? I use it to steam with minced pork, another simple and yummy steamed egg dish..
Deep Fried Prawns with Salted egg yolk
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
350g medium or large prawn, (peeled, devine, cleaned and pat dried)
1tsp light soy sauce
1 egg white
A dash of white pepper
50g corn flour, for deep fry
4 salted duck egg yolks, steamed and mashed
1 sprig curry leaf
1 small chili, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Green vegetables for garnishing
1. Mix prawns with salt, light soy sauce, egg white, cornstarch and pepper and marinate for 1hour.
2. Heat enough oil in a wok, dust marinated prawn with corn flour, deep fry over high until golden brown (less than a minute, do not overcook).
3. Pour excess oil from the wok, clean the wok, add back 2tbsp of deep frying oil over high heat. Saute chopped garlic, chili and curry leaf till fragrant.
4. Add salted egg yolk, stir constantly to prevent mixture from burning. Once the mixture bubbles, add deep fried prawns. Stir-fry briskly to coat with the sauce.
5. Place some green vegetables on a plate, arrange salted egg yolk prawns on top and serve immediately. Enjoy!
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #15: Auspicious Dishes for CNY (January 2012) which is hosted by Wen's Delight.