While i reading the homemade cincaluk posted by Yummylittlecooks, remind me a bottle of cincaluk (preserved shrimps) bought from last Melaka trip still sitting in the fridge. I was inspired by her and quickly google for some recipes to use this cincaluk, and also same time i can support to Wendy's event Malaysian Food Fest as this month is to cook a dish that related to Melaka and also support to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.
Oh, this dish is full of flavours, sour, sweet, salty and lemon aroma (from the kaffir lime leaf) , and also love the crispy fry shallots and garlics on top, this dish need a lot of steamed white rice to go with it..While cooking this dish, the whole house is full of " Belacan" smell.
Ya, the red and green chili also tasted nice wor, similar like eating capsicum / pepper
This is the Cincaluk that i used..
Ayam Cincaluk (Chicken with Preserved Shrimps)
(Recipe source: adapted from Kuali.com with minor changes)
90ml cooking oil ( i did not actually measure)
8 shallots, peeled and sliced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
500g chicken thigh (2 thighs), remove skin and cut into small bite size
70g preserved shrimps (cincaluk), with juice
3 kaffir lime leaves
200ml tamarind juice, extracted from 50g tamarind pulp and 200ml water
2 red chillies, halved lengthways, seeded and cut into three pieces
2 green chillies, halved lengthways, seeded and cut into three pieces
2 tbsp sugar or to taste
Finely ground paste:
8 shallots, peeled
a small piece of fresh turmeric, peeled
3 stalks lemon grass, sliced
1. Heat the cooking oil and sauté shallots and garlic until crisp. Drain and set aside.
2. In the same oil, fry the finely ground paste until aromatic. Add the chicken, cincaluk (preserved shrimps) and lime leaves.
3. Add the tamarind juice. Season with sugar. Cook until the gravy thickens. Add in crisp-fried shallots and garlic (half portion) half way through.
4. Stir in fresh red and green chillies, cook for 1-2mins.
5. Garnish with the remaining crisp-fried shallots and garlic just before serving.
submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday hosted by Test by Skewer