If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Japanese Chicken Karaage 炸鸡块 ~深夜食堂


I have a kid's taste, I am especially love fried chicken ^_^...
The other day i saw a blogger (sorry, i could not recalled which blogger) recommend this Japanese drama 深夜食堂 (like to listen their song too) and the story was taken from 深夜食堂comic books. I was quickly watched it using smartphone, and i especially like to watch when they sharing Japanese simple cooking recipe at the end of every show. I learnt this Chicken Karaage from this drama..
IMG_6471 copy

They share a tip to get crispy and crunchy chicken is to deep fry chicken for two times (Recipe shared by Just One Cookbook Nami also mentioned the same tip). Enjoy this fried chicken with shredded cabbage and Japanese manyonnaise, simply yummy!

IMG_6461 copy

I feel if i just deep fry using the usual corn flour or potato flour only, it will taste a little bit hard, so instead i added with some self raising flour and iced cold water to have more crunchy bite.

Japanese Chicken Karaage
(recipe source: inspired from深夜食堂, re-created by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

3 debone chicken thighs (with skin on), cut into small equal bite size pieces

Seasonings
1tbsp Japanese soy sauce
IMG_6466 copy 2tsp Mirin
1/2tsp +1/4tsp salt or to taste
1tsp grated ginger
1tsp grated shallot

For deep frying
5tbsp potato flour 风车粉
3tbsp self raising flour
3tbsp iced cold water
Oil for deep frying

Garnishing- Japanese mayonnaise, tomato wedges, cabbage thinly shredded (soak in iced cold water for crispiness)

Method
1. Marinate chicken with all seasonings, keep inside the fridge for 1hr.
2. Add in potato flour, self raising flour and iced cold water, mix well.
3. Heat oil in a wok over medium high heat (to test oil readiness for deep frying is by putting chopstick in the oil and when you see bubbles around the tip).
4. Deep fry the chicken pieces in few small batches, fry for about 2mins. Drain on a wire rack.
5. Continue to deep fry till finished. Return the fried chicken to the hot oil and deep fry again.
6. Serve the fried chicken with shredded cabbage and tomato, and drizzle with Japanese mayonnaise.

Bento lunch for my children- Chicken Karaage and red Sotong shaped sausage (also a recipe from this movie but they using red sausages, i could not find this type of sausage here)


IMG_6485

My lunch, love it!
I am going to cook more recipes from this movie..

IMG_6487

I will be again away for a short "tumpang trip" , see you all next week....

Wish all my Malaysian readers have a "Happy Merdeka" and Happy holidays..

57 comments:

珊珊 said...

我比较少看日剧。。。
可是日本餐就很喜欢。。。
这个Japanese Chicken Karaage看起来就好好吃。。。。。又要乱老公快快带我去吃了。。嘻嘻嘻!!

PH said...

I love this chicken. Always order at Japanese restaurant. Thanks for the recipe.

ahteekitchen said...

Sonia, glad to receive the invitation from u!! Sure I'll attend, c u soon and happy Holiday!!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

I think I have kid's taste too. I can't resist fried chicken!

Have a nice trip.

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
hi,如果没有记错,好像是。。。cass。。。
i m not sure~~
well~~ tis is look good!! i sd try it one day~~~^^ thx sharing~

Penagagirl said...

can i have a look at your japanese mayoniese?

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我很喜欢深夜食堂里的每一个故事
温暖人心
看了觉得自己其实并不孤独:)
想吃你的bento

ibundo said...

Looks crispy. I watched 'the boss'at channel 703 and he too fried his wedges twice to give it a more crispy and crunchy taste. Lupa pula nak apply that tips for chicken. Thanks sonia.

Baby Sumo said...

I love to order this when I have my bowl of udon, sadly I cant cook this cos I dont deep fry stuff at home.

Li Shuan said...

I love deep fried food as well..but I hate to prepare deep fried dishes as the kitten will become so oily after that.
Of coz here u prepare something I like , I tapao a few pieces home ! Hehe..... !

ann low said...

I love deep fried food too and this so yummy! Will make soon :)

Ana Regalado said...

Who can resist FRIED FOOD especially fried chicken ?! Not me ! I even love the ones at McD ! lol I haven't deep fried any stuff for a while though and looking at these deliciousness I guess it's time ! :D

daphne said...

so hard to resist! especially when it looks so juicy and crisp!!!!

Small Kucing said...

eee....malunya me...i didnt know what is Chicken Karaage till you highlighted here. Am not a fan of Japanese food so duno much about it hahaha

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia, Sonia, thank you so much for highlighting this drama for me. I have stopped watching Jap/Korean series since 2 children were born. Love drama that comes in cooking. Karaage chicken is also my fav. What is "tumpang trip?" You mean you will go to someone's house to tumpang sleep?

Tracy Low said...

越看肚子就越饿了。。。

Jane Chew said...

i just had this last sat in jap rest. your one looks so yummy. i must try this.

Annie's Journal said...

Mmmm...Perfect Bento lunch pack:)

Enjoy a safe and fun-filled time with your family too:)

Unknown said...

Fried chicken in Japsnese style indeed very crispy. Have to stock my pantry with potato flour for this dish. Have a nice holiday ahead!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I outdated already. May i know where can i watch this 深夜食堂? Seems many interesting recipes there!

divya said...

looks yummy...

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Cass, I watch using iPad and iPhone via PPS channel which come with Chinese subtitles .

chan913 said...

一定很好吃看了肚子忙打鼓。

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks delicious! Have fun at your trip! :)

Anonymous said...

Uhmm have you been living in my brain!? I have been DYING to have that.

Alice said...

yummy! my kids surely love this
thks for sharing, Sonia :)
enjoy ur holiday :)

mui mui said...

Hi Sonia,
My boys is a big fan of fried chicken. I know they will definitely love this. May i know do you debone the chicken then cut into pieces?
Thanks for introducing the Jap series too..will go and have a peep..lol
Enjoy your 'tumpang trip' holidays!!

Artsylicious said...

I think adults and kids both love fried chicken!! that's y KFC business is good! thanks for sharing this. I'm gonna make it one day!

Anonymous said...

haha you are most certainly not the only one who loves fried food! I love it too! I think everyone has a kid inside them somehow. :) So cool that you can learn a recipe while watching tv serial! Thanks for sharing!

Bo said...

Sonia, I'm going to have to try this. I have some potato starch in the pantry, but I have never tried using it for anything yet. It looks so crispy and delicious.

Sissi said...

You also like Shinya Shokudo!! I did mention it but quite a long time ago on my blog (I suppose other bloggers mentioned it too). It's my all time favourite Japanese series and among the best series of my whole life. I am also enchanted by the theme song. So beautiful!
Chicken karaage is of course one of my beloved Japanese dishes. So simple and so delicious. Yours looks just perfect!

zila norazila said...

hi sonia
so yummy..my son sure love it..:)

irene myme said...

wow... i love fried chicken too, but seldom fry it at home. Don't like to clean the oily kitchen lor.hahahaha!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hahaha, your friend here is so creative to interpret "tumpang trip!" Enjoy your holidays!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Can't resist this!!!

Bakericious said...

Sonia, I love fried chicken too, wish I can have some now hahaha... and enjoy your trip.

yvonne said...

Such a beautiful bento, Sonia! Iced cold water for crispier effect? This I must try it out~

Please share more on the recipes you get from the drama!

Mel said...

Do continue to watch the Japanese drama so you can get the cooking recipe from them too! Hee...:-) I loves fried chicken and who doesn't. With just simple ingredients could make a delicious crispy fried chicken! Thumbs up to you

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

This is making me hungry. I try to be healthy and avoid eating fried stuff, but very hard to resist fried chicken! Have a great holiday.

Little blue said...

Yum yum ~ can I have some for my lunch...and hope you enjoy your holidays!!

Sally said...

哎哟,那盒便当越看越想吃噢,鸡肉好脆哦
。。呵呵

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Mui Mui , yes use debone chicken thigh , sorry I have forgotten to mention in the recipe .

Yannie said...

Sonia, your children bento set was so nice. Their classmates would sure jealous at their lunch box. Enjoy your drama. Happy Holiday to you.

Simple Person said...

i want to make my fried chicken..

Diane said...

This sounds delicious. Have a great time away. Diane

lena said...

so nice! though i enjoy eating fried food, i tried not to take so much, think got to do with my little gastritis problem but once in a while, it's okay. enjoy your holidays!

Honey Bee Sweets said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Honey Bee Sweets said...

I love this crispy fried chicken too Sonia! I bet my kids would PE to have them n their bento, yums! Thanks for the recipe, will try it next week. :))

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Your karaage looks so delicious! One of the best bento menu! :)

Kelly Siew said...

I simply can't resist fried chicken. Yours look so fabulous!! :D

Quay Po Cooks said...

Most people love fried food. I love fried chicken with no bones. Nice!

Choi Yen said...

who can resist fried chicken, OMG definitely not me!

Yee Ling said...

I am sure my kids will love it. Simply irresistible!

Mary said...

This chicken looks delicious! I bet it was perfectly crispy.

sasa said...

Wow I miss this post, I am addicted to 深夜食堂too
Tried out few of the dishes turn out great
Will try this fried chicken too

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

把它入围我的“日本大餐”的选择了,谢谢:)

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

把它入围我的“日本大餐”的选择了,谢谢:)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin