The other day my daughter requsted me to make Roti Jala, reminded me i have so long did not make this at home, see my very old post here. This time i tried using the Japanese mayo bottle that i won from Love2Cook's giveaway last year..And it create very nice Roti Jala and look exactly like net (jala in Malay). Also i turned her stir-fried chicken masala into chicken masala curry. We love this curry so much, especially my little son Desmond said this curry very spicy but very yummy 又辣又好吃 ( He keep saying hot while eating this curry but his hand non-stop taking chicken,hehehe)..
This Roti Jala recipe was taught by my previous Malay colleague. She taught me using the traditional mould. If use traditional mould, the batter should be more runny and watery, you may add water if the batter not flow smoothly from the holes.
Move the mould in circular motion
This is using Japanese mayo bottle, you can get it from Daiso..
Look exactly like net right? this way need more time to make
While frying the roti jala, i also cooking the curry
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*serves 5-6 pax
400g all purpose flour
200g milk ( I use low fat milk )
2 large eggs
1/2tsp salt, 1/4tsp turmeric powder
2tbsp cooking oil
1. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl and use a hand whisk to stir till smooth batter.
2. Sift the batter and set aside for 30mins.
3. Place a non-stick pan over medium heat.
4. Fill the Roti Jala mould with batter and quickly move the mould in a circular motion to form a lacy pattern. Leave it for few seconds. If using Japanese mayo bottle, form the batter like a net. Cook only one side.
5. Fold the crepe into quarters or roll and stack up.
6. Repeat the same with rest of the batter.
7. Enjoy with curry.
Chicken Masala Curry
(recipe source: adapted from Love2Cook with minor changes)
600g chicken, cut into bite size
2 tbsp blended paste of 2 garlic, 2 shallots and ½” ginger
1tbsp curry powder (chicken)
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp corriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp mixed mustard seeds
1 cinnamon stick (small)
2 pcs cardamom
3 pcs cloves
1 pcs star anise (small)
1 onions (small), chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 potato (medium), small cube
200ml coconut milk
1tsp salt or to taste
1tsp sugar or to taste
1. Marinate chicken with ingredients (A) for about 30mins.
2. Heat oil in a wok, sauté chopped onions and curry leaves till fragrant.
3. Add in mixed mustard seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves and star anise till aroma.
4. Add in small potato cubes and chicken, mix well. Add in water, cook for 10mins over low flame.
5. Add in coconut milk, continue to cook for 10mins.
6. Add in salt and sugar to taste, mix well and dish out.
7. Serve with Roti Jala or steamed rice. Enjoy!
I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my Muslim readers a Selamat Hari Raya, Maaf Zahir dan Batin and drive safely when back hometown with below few photos i took this morning at pasar besar (big wet market) . The atmosphere was so ceria with all peoples doing their marketing for coming Hari Raya big makan (re-union dinner).