I was so happy finally found a good sponge cake base that can be use as a cake base for Birthday cake. This recipe is even more easier to make if compare to the earlier sponge cake recipe that i used.
And the tip that i learnt from this recipe is to make sure you beat egg white till stiff peaks (十分发 / 硬性发泡) since we use a normal cake tin without tube/insert like chiffon cake tin. Also make sure you do not use a cake tin that is non-stick.
A simple basic sponge cake using chiffon cake method..
Basic Chocolate Sponge Cake
(recipe source: adapted from 妙手烘培)
*make a 7” round cake (with removable bottom cake pan)
4 egg yolks (large)
20g caster sugar
50g corn oil
15g cocoa powder
1/2tsp chocolate emulco,optional
75g cake flour
4 egg white (large)
1/4tsp lemon juices or 1/4tsp cream of Tartar
60g caster sugar
1. Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar.
2. Add in corn oil, stir to combine.
3. Add in milk, stir to combine,then add in cocoa powder, mix well.
4. Add in cake flour, mix well, set aside.
5. Add lemon juices into egg white, beat till foamy.
6. Gradually add in sugar, beat till stiff peaks (十分发 / 硬性发泡)
7. Take 1/3 portion of egg white mixture and use hand whisk to mix with egg yolk mixture till light.
8. Fold the balance of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture using a spatula, combine well.
9. Pour batter into the pan (do not need to line with baking paper and do not use a non-stick pan), bake at pre-heated oven at 140c for 25mins (at lower rack), then increase to 170C and continue to bake for 25mins. Remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack (don't need to invert the cake). Once cake is slightly cool down(10-15mins), remove cake from cake tin (use a think and flat spatula to run around the side and bottom of the cake pan) and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
*if you want to make a normal vanilla sponge cake, replace chocolate emulco with vanilla essence, and omit cocoa powder and add back 15g of cake flour to become 90g cake flour.