I remember a reader asked me how i poach a white cut chicken (Pak Cham Gai) last time..I have recorded down the detail steps and would like share with you here. I suppose every Chinese family also know how to poach a nice white cut chicken with their own method. This is the method taught by my mother. My mother method is simple and yet still resulted a nice tendered white cut chicken
I suggest not to use the real ayam kampung (free range chicken) , because less meat and meat is tough. Usually i use those half free range chicken (i don't know how to describe this in English name actually, hehehe), usually we call this type of chicken as "Chow Gai" or "Holland Gai"..I hope you understand what i meant.^_^
Ya, i have one extra step is after chicken is done, i brush salt on the body of chicken, so it taste like salted chicken, yummy!
Chinese white cut chicken 白切雞
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
1.6kg free-range chicken
Few slices of ginger
2 sprig of spring onions
1tsp salt (i use fine sea salt)
1 and 1/2tsp sesame oil
1. Stuff ginger and spring onion inside the cavity of chicken.
2. Boil a large pot of water over high heat ( use a pot that large enough to fit a whole chicken).
3. Slowly place the chicken (breast side down ) into boiling water, boiling water become simmer.
4. Once water boil again, reduce heat to the lowest.
5. Cover the lid and let chicken simmer in hot water. While cooking half way (about 10mins), flip the chicken breast side up, cover and continue simmer.
6. Cook for 16mins (depend the size of chicken or when you see chicken become light and float on top).
7. Switch off the fire, cover the lid and let chicken continue to simmer in hot water for another 10mins.
8. Mix salt and sesame oil in a mixing bowl. Remove chicken from hot water, use a brush to evenly brush salt mixture on the whole body of chicken.
9. Let it cool in room temperature for several hours (5-6 hours) before chop into small pieces.
I consider myself still not chop a perfect white cut chicken, but these are how i usually chop the chicken.
1. first cut out the two chicken wings
2. Cut out the thigh and drumsticks
2. Tear out the chicken breast (all meat)
4. Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and arrange back like a chicken look ^_^
Beside just serving white cut chicken as a main dish, sometime i prepare into Hainanese chicken rice or like today i cook into Kuoy Teow noodles soup..