I can't remember how long I did not eat this Sar Kok Liew (yambean fritters). And I couldn't remember I ate this Sar Kok Liew at here (Klang valley) or Ipoh. But I can still remember the good taste of this Sar Kok Liew which is slightly sweet from the yambean used.
Sar Kok Liew (yambean fritters) usually found in noodle stalls as part of the Yong Liew ( Yong Liew is the Perak equivalent of yong tau foo).
This plate of Sar Kok Liew (together i fried some dumplings and fish balls ) was not a success one. I followed to the recipe but it turned out too soft and watery, after deep fry, the filling started to fall apart.
Best to enjoy with a bowl of Kong Lou Mein ( dried noodles with soy sauce and oil)
without fried pork lard, lard oil and fried shallots, a bowl of Kong Lou Mein will not taste perfect!
Nice to eat together with some pickled green chili..
This is after 2nd attempted, and it turned out nice and crisp !
Sar Kok Liew ( Yambean Fritters) 沙葛料(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover, reference: Flavours food magazine-Perak kopitiam treats)
*makes 2 rolls
Filling460g yambean /jicama (this weight is after squeezed out the water), coarsely shredded
140g fish paste
70g plain flour
2tsp fried shallots crisps
1 and 1/4tsp salt or to taste
A dash of white pepper
A dash of Chinese five spices powder
1 pc beancurd sheet (foo pei), soak in water to soften , cut into half2tsp plain flour + 3tsp water, to make glue
Oil for deep frying
- Combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl to make a sticky paste ( adjust the flour amount accordingly, depend on water contain in yambean).Divide filling into 2 equal portions.
- Place each filling on a beancurd sheet and roll the sheet to form a cigar-like roll of 5cm diameter. Seal the edges of the roll with flour glue.
- Place rolls on a greased plate and steam over high heat for 20mins. Cool, and cut into 1.5cm thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a wok, deep fry over medium heat until edges are crisp. Remove and drain on absorbent paper towels before serving.
- Serve with noodles together with other yong liew items (yong tau foo).