If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, August 5, 2013

Sar Kok Liew ( Yambean Fritters) 沙葛料


I can't remember how long I did not eat this Sar Kok Liew (yambean fritters). And I couldn't remember I ate this Sar Kok Liew at here (Klang valley) or Ipoh. But I can still remember the good taste of this Sar Kok Liew which is slightly sweet from the yambean used.


skl6 copy

 
Sar Kok Liew (yambean fritters) usually found in noodle stalls as part of the Yong Liew ( Yong Liew is the Perak equivalent of yong tau foo).
This plate of Sar Kok Liew (together i fried some dumplings and fish balls ) was not a  success one. I followed to the recipe but it turned out too soft and watery, after deep fry, the filling started to fall apart. 

skl3 copy

 
Best to enjoy with a bowl of Kong Lou Mein ( dried noodles with soy sauce and oil)
skl1 copy

 
without fried pork lard, lard oil and fried shallots, a bowl of Kong Lou Mein will not taste perfect!

 
Nice to eat together with some pickled green chili..
skl2 copy

 
This is after 2nd attempted, and it turned out nice and crisp !

skl5 copy





Sar Kok Liew ( Yambean Fritters) 沙葛料
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover, reference: Flavours food magazine-Perak kopitiam treats)
*makes 2 rolls

Filling
460g yambean /jicama (this weight is after squeezed out the water), coarsely shredded
skl6 copy 140g fish paste
70g plain flour
2tsp fried shallots crisps
1 and 1/4tsp salt or to taste
2tsp sugar
A dash of white pepper
A dash of Chinese five spices powder

1 pc beancurd sheet (foo pei), soak in water to soften , cut into half
2tsp plain flour + 3tsp water, to make glue
Oil for deep frying

Method

  1. Combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl to make a sticky paste ( adjust the  flour amount accordingly, depend on water contain in yambean).Divide filling into 2 equal portions.
  2. Place each filling on a beancurd sheet and roll the sheet to form a cigar-like roll of 5cm diameter. Seal the edges of the roll with flour glue.
  3. Place rolls on a greased plate and steam over high heat for 20mins. Cool, and cut into 1.5cm thick pieces.
  4. Heat oil in a wok, deep fry over medium heat until edges are crisp. Remove and drain on absorbent paper towels before serving.
  5. Serve with noodles together with other yong liew items (yong tau foo).


skl4 copy

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest Perak month hosted by 
WendyinKK of Table for Two....or more 

51 comments:

Jozelyn Ng said...

Wow, I am number one today. I love this!

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Hi Sonia! This looks amazing! Looks like a lot of hardwork though! o.O

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Good evening Sonia...

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I am no. 3 today, hehe...

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Feeling hungry looking at it, hehe...

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Have a great day ahead...

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

哎哟,就是摆明了要我吞口水的是吗?
好想吃呢:)

Jane Chew said...

thumb up!

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Opppsssss!!!!!!!!!!!! 太棒太棒啦!!!!
Sonia~~ 你好强大哦!!!
喜爱极了!!!

Mel said...

Don't I love August month? Feel like telling the whole world ....yes I love August because it is also because its Perak month. I got to "look" at all those goodies and also my childhood food. I havvent had this yambean fritters for sooooooo long and it is my favourite and almost forgotten about this delicious delicacy! Another bug bear hug to you Sonia!

ann low said...

I've never tried this before. Looks so crispy and yummy :)

Victoria Bakes said...

can see the crispiness from the pictures... yummy!

CQUEK said...

dinner time... oh boy.. please 2 bowl

PH said...

Sonia, I so hungry liao!!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Oh Sonia, you always give in 100% to the meals you made. After a big batch of deep-frying still made noodles, some more got lard & deep fried shallots, you are a good mum!

Amy Cheong, Desirablerecipes said...

My dad is from Ipoh, Perak. We all love this dish. So long....I have not eaten. Really missed it. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.

irene myme said...

我不曾吃过这个,不过看起来应该很好吃哦!谢谢你的分享!^o^

Bakericious said...

sonia I never try this b4, but as long as fried food will look super tempting :D

Small Kucing said...

Oooo delicious!!!! Very "song hau" when eat this

~~louise~~ said...

What an intriguing recipe, Sonia. I would love to try it one day.

Thank you so much for sharing...

Li Shuan said...

This is like "spring roll" but using yambean ...ehhh...very special and looks yummy. You know what... Once I see ur dried noodle... I 大大流口水

~董夫人~ said...

夫人看了口水流如河。。咔咔!

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

这个好吃, 粘上辣椒酱, 哇! bek tahan 了。。。

Little blue said...

I haven't eat before and also can't find in East Malaysia. Not difficult to made (see the ingredients and picture show), I wan try~is it taste like fish cake?!

Karen said...

thumbs up!! 看到我流口水了。。哈哈

lena said...

hi sonia, i eat this all the time..but i dont really know how to make it..really glad to see your posting on this!

Unknown said...

Oh..... i like this very much. i have yambean at home but don have the fish paste. if not i will try out your recipe.

Esther@thefussfreechef said...

Sonia, this is my no.1 favourite yeong liu! Greew up eating this in Ipoh, and yes, best to eat it with some dry noodles. So good!

huikhee and yoonlai said...

我最喜欢的料,好想吃!可惜这儿买不到沙葛。流口水。。。

QembarDelites said...

I must say I am not familiar with this dish but it sure looks delicious! I love yam a lot!

Cat Chee said...

充满了古早味~

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Fritters look so tasty and inviting. Thanks for posting this lovely recipe.
Deepa

Lite Home Bake said...

I love this, you don't see it often enough in KL though.

Qi Qi in the house said...

没吃过呢!让人蠢蠢欲动哦!

Unknown said...

I have never seen these type of fritters before in Singapore. It looks so good with that bowl of noodles.

LEY said...

This is my super super favaorite....already wan to make it since long time ago, it is so hard to find it in KL, only when I go back Ipoh will savour it.

Thanks for your sharing again and it inspire me to DIY it soon...(hope so)

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, I made this before but I wasn't convinced it is right. Now I can try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

so surperise u post this food...all Ipoh mari sure know this 'liu' and best eat with dry noodles. so delicious if u dip with special chili sauce...i miss this food so much..thanks for sharing. can find in Klang Valley? may i know where is it?

daphne said...

I think I can have it as a snack by itself and just continue to eat! That looks crisp and fluffy on the inside.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks crispy and delicious! I don't think I have this before.

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

Sonia, this is so yummy! love the crispy yambean!

Cecilia Yap said...

I have never eat this before but from your pics, I am feeling hungry Liao.

Esther Lau said...

Wowo, this is a new recipe to me, Looks super good and tasty!!! :)

mui mui said...

Ah Chi,
I never try this before but I can see from your pix this is very yummy. I must try this with your tested recipe.
Thinking of this is already making me drool.. Hehe
mui

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , these fritters look perfect with your delectable fried noodles !

My Little Space said...

To make this, I need to produce the homemade fish paste first. No readymade fish paste available here in small town. :o) I missed having this. Yours look really tempting. lol.
Enjoy your holiday.
Kristy

Amelia said...

Hi Sonia, this is so inviting and delicious. Love the bowl of noodles with extra, extra sar kok liew, fried pork lard and shallots. :))

Thanks for sharing the recipe. regards.

Choi Yen said...

Fall in love with this after I tried this at Ipoh!

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Wow looks so yummy! The noodles look good too!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

So unfortunate that I've never tried this before. I'd love to have these with noodles. Look so good!

WendyinKK said...

This is very addictive, my hubby will usually insist on this whenever we go out for noodle soup

Blog Widget by LinkWithin