If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, January 25, 2016

Traditional Kuih Kapit (Love Letters ) 传统鸡蛋卷_2016 CNY cookies 年饼_金猴报春

My first ever traditional Kuih Kapit a.k.a Love Letters. I am not sure how many of you willing to try out this traditional Kuih Kapit which bake over charcoal grill, as it was really not easy task. Anyway, I still want to keep this traditional recipe on my blog here as to pass down this traditional recipe to younger generation.






It only took me 2nd attempt to settle the right batter to be used. Thanks to my friend' auntie who selling CNY cookies also willing to share with me this good recipe which using rice flour and glutinous rice (interesting combo but great result).





I received six very old Kuih Kapit moulds from my elder SIL , Thanks so much to her given me these traditional moulds.

The tougher part of making Kuih Kapit, grill over charcoal..

Luckily i have my dear hubby helped me to handle the most difficult part.



Very light and crunchy , nice!

Traditional Kuih Kapit (Love Letters ) 传统鸡蛋卷

12 eggs ( A size)
500g coconut milk ( 350g grated coconut + 500g water, squeeze to get 500g, keep the rest )
300g caster sugar
1/8tsp fine salt
200g rice flour
200g glutinous rice flour


Method
  1. Mix eggs and sugar together, stir with a wire whisk to mix well until sugar has dissolved.
  2. Mix rice flour, glutinous rice flour and salt together, add in coconut milk, stir to mix well.
  3. Slowly pour in flour mixture with egg mixture, whisk till well combined. Strain the batter and let it rest for an hour.
  4. While batter is resting, prepare the charcoal grill at least 15mins before start making. The fire has to moderate and consistent as to get even colour of love letters.
  5. Lightly grease the kuih kapit mould with cooking oil (if you use old kuih kapit mould, you can omit this step), heat up the moulds over the charcoal grill.
  6. When the mould are sufficiently heat up, pour a ladleful of batter onto the mould. Close the mould tightly and bake over charcoal fire. Trim the run-offs from the batter with a butter knive. Flip another side over fire as to get even colour. Time to time check the doneness.
  7. When golden, remove and immediately fold into a quarters. Press lightly with a tin cover to level the surface. You can also choose to roll up the love letters if desired.
  8. Cool and store in an air-tight container or tin.


Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover

12 comments:

PH said...

Not easy leh! Thumbs up to you for making kuih kapit!

My Little Space said...

OMG, you're making it by using the old fashion tooling. I was eyeing on the electrical one though, so that I can keep the leftover batter for other days to make. haha.....
Kristy

ice pandora said...

OMG you're amazing!
It's unfortunate I don't have these traditional
cooking tools :c but these wafers looks amazing!
Xx Ice Pandora

Diane said...

Wow I have two moulds like that, not I know what to try,thanks for sharing. Hope you are well Diane

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Wah...made over charcoal!! Must be super duper nice! :)

Joceline Lor said...

Sonia,这个mamasak很好玩 。。。。 也玩出很传统的古早味。您太棒了。

arwen said...

Hi, can I use electric egg roll toaster with this recipes?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

arwen, i supposed you can.

Stephanie said...

I always wanted to try this out, have been looking for the kuih kapit mould but in vain, not many shops selling this mould nowadays.

Thank for the recipes, if i get the mould, i know where to get the recipes...hehe

ashleylepelepe said...

Please help! I brought them back from Malaysia and all were crushed into small pieces :'( is there a way to fix them? Like

Unknown said...

You can get the mould in kelantan central market

Unknown said...

You can get the mould in kelantan central market

Blog Widget by LinkWithin