I still not satisfied with my old Pie Tee case recipe. So this time I experiment with few type of flours like plain flour, rice flour and glutinous rice flour . And I was pleased with the case using glutinous rice flour, light and crispy !
As for the filling, it is easy to cook , just that need a lot of cutting..
Love this sweet and sour chili sauce! perfectly match with Pie Tee
I took the opportunity to take this series of photos at my friend's house and use her kitchenware too ^_^
From hiking till potluck, glad to know my hiking friends who also like to cook and bake especially like to bake sourdough or natural yeast wholesome bread!
Nyonya Kuih Pie Tee / Top Hats 娘惹小金杯For the batter100g glutinous rice flour1 large egg (A size), ~62g15g plain flour or all purpose flour10g cooking oilPepperA pinch of salt140g water
For the fillings200g pork belly (you may replace with chicken meat)1 Tau Kwa or firm tofu, slices1kg Chinese turnip/jicama/yam bean, shredded1 small carrot, shredded150g fresh prawns, shelled, deveined, cut small pieces100g French beans, chopped3 garlic, finely chopped1tbsp light soy sauce1 and 1/2tsp salt or to tastepepperFor the toppingsCooked crab meat, optionalParsley leavesFor the chili topping sauce3tbsp garlic chili sauce (I use Kampung Koh chili sauce)1tbsp sweet chili sauce (I use Maggie brand)1tbsp light soy sauce6 Kasturi limes , only use the juices2tsp toasted sesame seeds2tsp roasted peanutsMethod
- For the batter. Combine all the ingredients, mix well until the batter is smooth, rest for 30mins-1hr.
- While waiting for the batter to rest, prepare the filling. Boil pork belly in hot water for 10mins, thinly slice, set aside.
- With a bit of cooking oil in a non-stick frying pan, fry tofu slices till golden brown, set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok, sauté garlic, add in prawns, stir fry till colour changed. Add in pork and tofu, stir to mix well.
- Add in the yam beans and carrot, stir and add light soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add in French beans, cook for 2-3mins. Dish out to cool before serve.
- For the chili topping sauce, mix all ingredients and adjust the taste accordingly. Set aside.
- To deep fry the Pie Tee case. Fill cooking oil in a sauce pan that is deep enough to cover the Pie Tee mould, heat over medium to low heat. At the same time, heat up the Pie Tee mould in the hot oil.
- Transfer batter into a small and deep glass. Dip the hot mould into the batter. Coat the mould until it’s up to 90-95% level. Hold the hot mould in the batter for few seconds, as to let batter hold well with the mould, otherwise you will see bottom got hole as the batter is not well coated.
- Let excess batter drip off, then plunge the mould into the hot oil (reduce the heat to low if it is too hot). Let it dip in the hot oil for few seconds before removing it (with a pair of chopsticks), too fast removing the case will resulted the case become flatten or out of shape but not round and intact.
- Fry until golden brown. Transfer the case onto a plate with paper towels and store in an airtight container once cooled down.
- To serve, fill the case with the filling, and then top with cooked crab meat, parsley and chili sauce. Enjoy!
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover (filling and chili sauce inspired from Comfort food recipe TV show)