It is quite simple to prepare this snack at home..
I only settled the batter at 3rd trial . First trial, I used more plain flour than rice flour, and colour with turmeric powder (healthy version) , it turned out no hard crust, too quickly turned brown and a hint of turmeric taste . Second trial , i switch the portion of rice flour (more) and plain flour , and use yellow food colouring, the crust turned out good but colour was too deep became orange. See the final batter recipe at below.
Soft and sweet inside, crispy on the outside, nice!
perfect to go with a cup of black coffee!
Getuk Ubi Kayu 炸木薯球*makes around 50pcs420g cassava or tapioca root , peeled and removed the hard fibrous bits80g caster sugar100g grated coconut1/4tsp salt
For the deep fry batter120g rice flour30g all purpose flour or plain flourA pinch of salt160g waterA drop of yellow food colouring ( a drop will do, not too much, colour will get darker once deep fried )Method
- Cut the cassava into few small pieces. Steam over high heat for 25mins or till fork tendered.
- Mash the hot cooked cassava with a food processor or use a fork till fine.
- Put in sugar, grated coconut and salt, combine well. Shape into small ball.
- Mix all batter ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix till smooth and thick batter.
- Heat up cooking oil over medium low heat, dip each ball into the batter, fry till hard crust formed. Do not need to deep fry till golden brown. If you notice the crust cooked too fast, then reduce to low heat.
- Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea !
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover