-Mee Suah start to turn soggy while I taking this photo
Hokkien Mee Suah / Flour Vermicelli in Soup
2.5 litre chicken stock OR ikan bilis stock (boil 100g dried anchovies with water)
10 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked several hours till soft and sliced thinly
250g pork or chicken fillet, sliced, lightly marinated with salt, sesame oil and pepper
5 small bundles of Mee Sua (flour Vermicelli)
10 shallots, sliced
30g chives, cut into 1” in length (optional)
Salt to taste
A dash of white pepper powder
10 Red eggs (hard-boiled eggs), removed egg shell
1. Get ready the chicken stock or ikan bilis stock.
2. Heat a little oil in a wok and sauté shallots till golden brown and crispy, set aside
3. Use the remaining oil, add the sliced meat and mushroom and stir fry for 2-3mins, set aside.
4. To make the individual portions of mee sua, ladle some of the stock into a small pot and allow to boil.
5. Add a bundle of mee sua and let it cook for 1min or till soft.
6. Add in the meat and mushroom, chives and stir well. Seasoning with salt and pepper.
7. Pour into a soup bowl and top with fried shallots and hard-boiled eggs.
8. Serve immediately
My note- cook Mee Sua just before serving as the flour vermicelli turns soggy quickly!
Happy Cooking !!