If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, April 16, 2010

Coffee Walnut Cake & Kahlua Buttercream

I baked this cake because I still have some balance Kahlua from the Macarons Tiramisu cake that I made earlier.


IMG_8267



IMG_8273

Coffee cake adapted from Jane's corner but omitted the cocoa powder, solely added coffee powder only. Since I don't really like to eat sweet cake, I just apply a thin layer of Kahlua buttercream, you may double up the buttercream recipe if you prefer sweeter.


Coffee Walnut Cake & Kahlua Buttercream
(printable recipe)

Coffee Cake
Ingredients
125g Butter
80g sugar
2 large eggs
125g cake flour
1tsp baking powder
2tbsp milk
1tbsp coffee powder
2tbsp hot water

1. Sift baking powder and cake flour together, set aside.
2. Melt coffee powder in hot water, set aside.
3. Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
4. Add in egg one at a time, beat until just combined between additions.
5. Fold in flour and milk, mix well.
6. Last add in coffee mixture, well combined.
7. Pour mixture into a 7” round cake pan.
8. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for 30mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Kahlua Buttercream

50g Butter
100g Icing sugar / Confectioners sugar
1tsp Kahlua (Coffee flavored liqueur)
1tbsp heavy cream

1. Beat butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add in sugar, heavy cream and Kahlua, beat till well combined.

To assemble the cake- split cold cake in half. Spread Kahlua buttercream on one layer of cake. Top with other cake half, spread buttercream top and side of cake with remaining cream. Arrange 20pcs of toasted walnut halves over the cake.




IMG_8262


A bite of coffee cake, walnut and Kahlua buttercream, they are just a perfect combination!!

IMG_8289


HaPPY bAKing !!



42 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Sofa?

Somewhere in Singapore said...

coffee also my favourite, hehe...

月亮 said...

这蛋糕一定很香^^

Yummy Bakes said...

Looks nice to go with coffee ....

苏联妈妈 said...

I can smell the coffee fragrance~~~nice cake especailly with walnut

温馨小屋 said...

原本我昨天是来找蛋糕吃的!没想到蛋糕是今早才出炉?哈哈!
很美的蛋糕!

ann low said...

Oh..I love the flavor of kahlua. Nice cake ;D

Simply June said...

Mm....Yums!

Suhaina said...

Looks super moist. Very well done. Nice clicks too.

Kitchen Corner said...

Nice cake! I wish to have a piece for my afternoon tea!

Bakericious said...

looks delicious, will standby this recipe for my sil's next birthday cake since she likes coffee cake :) Thanks for sharing.

Madhuri Krishna Bhat said...

Can u pass on that cut slice here :)
Just awesome an love it. Will give a try soon.

PranisKitchen said...

What a delicious cake..Pls parcel this for us..

Shandy said...

Sonia, YUM! and your walnut halves look HUGE. The Kahlua buttercream icing sure looks like the perfect compliment to your coffee cake =o)

J.O said...

用咖啡做的甜点
我想一定很不错吧

Elin Chia said...

Sonia..you are such a great baker. This cake must be delish. Thanks for sharing. Great photography skill there :))

MaryMoh said...

Coffee cake...one of my top favourite cakes. My whole family loves it. Yours look very beautiful and moist. Wish I can have a big slice :P

ai wei said...

lovely! i love kah lua... but somehow i have phobia towards buttercream @@

Jane Chew said...

aiyo... can i have one? siu man...!

Anonymous said...

Thats one of the best looking cake~ Im sure it taste real good too :)

Angie's Recipes said...

This must smell and taste great with kahlua!

Angel @ Cook.Bake.Love said...

I agree with you they are perfect combination, I love all of them!

You remind me of my kahlua, I almost forget about it. Should start to make cake or dessert with it.

3 hungry tummies said...

This is worth another 30 minutes jog! Beautiful!

Jeannie said...

I usually just have my cake plain as I do find the cream rather sweet too. Yours do look very delicious though.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

This is definitely a coffee lover's choice of desert. ;) Nice!

Bakeling said...

I am sure this coffee cake is very nice because of the wulnuts and the coffee butter cream , yummy !

Cheah said...

Great looking cake. I'll go for the walnuts first then the cake not forgetting a cup of hot tea.

Dewi said...

Hmmm, you had me on that Kahlua buttercream. Perfect layer cake.

chow and chatter said...

oh wow what an amazing cake so sorry the giveaway is not international the orange grower is not allowed to ship over sees and I have to ship the juicer its heavy lol

have a good weekend Rebecca

Sindhura said...

lovely blog with beautifully presented pics.Will visit frequently.Drop in sometime

Pete said...

Looks soft and fluffy.....mmmm, drooling!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Sonia, this is a beautiful cake and I really like the way your butter cream sounds. The cake would not last long in my house. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Namitha said...

Such a decadent cake..Wish I could eat your picture..lol

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yummy! I loved coffee in cake.

mia said...

oh no!!! this looks absolutely delicious!!! I can smell it even from here...!

molly said...

I like your blog, must keep in contact ya!

Nicole said...

This cake is beautiful! You are so talented..wow!

Cathy said...

Yum, does that cake look good! Love the Kahlua buttercream icing. I'm so happy I found your blog and am now off to read other posts.

Thanks for visiting and for your comments. I hope you come back again soon.

Reeni said...

What a gorgeous cake! I love the kahlua icing and the coffee flavor in the cake. I bet it melts in your mouth!

Cynthia said...

This looks like a wonderfully rich cake!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Dear all, Thanks for your time leaving me with this lovely comment, much appreciated. Do try out this cake, for me, I will bake this cake again and again.

Dear new comer, welcome to my blog, I will hop over your blog soon.

Olivia said...

Hi Sonia

Wonderful cake. I am wondering if the cream is too sweet as the sugar content as compare to the butter is almost half. Any chance to reduce it?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin