At first I think to cook Hainanese fried chicken rice, but a bit hesitate to fry the whole bird of chicken and very oily, end up I roasted the chicken and cooked turmeric rice, something simple and delicious.
This time, the rice is just perfect, fluffy and not too wet.
Roasted five spices chicken and Turmeric rice (from Nasi Lemak Lover)
Roasted five-spice chicken
1.5 kg chicken, cut into 6 big pieces
Marinate chicken with below:-
Use a mortar and pestle to pound below to a coarse paste and extract juices:-
10 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp white pepper powder
1 tsp salt or to taste
1. Marinate chicken pieces with all ingredients for 2 hours
2. Arrange chicken on a baking pan, cover with aluminium foil.
3. Bake at preheated oven at 180c for 30mins.
4. Remove foil and bake at 200c for 20mins or until golden brown.
5. Serve with Turmeric rice.
4 cups rice
1/2tsp turmeric powder
1 and ½ tsp of salt
1tsp chicken stock powder
2 shallots, sliced
5 slices of ginger
Few pandan leaves (screwpine leaves)
1. Heat 2tbsp oil in a wok, sauté shallots and ginger.
2. Add in rice and all seasonings, quickly mix well and turn off heat.
3. Transfer rice to a rice cooker, add in water and pandan leaves, set to cook.
4. Sprinkle some fried shallots and serve with roasted five spices chicken.
Chili dipping sauce
4 fresh red chillies
4 cloves garlic
2 Kasturi lime, finely grate the rind, and extract the juices
1. Blend all above ingredients with some water.
2. Serve with roasted five spices chicken and turmeric rice
Happy Cooking !!