I got this idea making Kueh Bahulu in new way after I watched a TV food show talk about a traditional bakery shop in Penang selling those traditional of Chinese wedding cookies (Hei Peng) which includes kuih bahulu (egg sponge cake) 鸡蛋糕. This is one of my favourite childhood's cake. Since I don't have the traditional mould, I just bake it in muffin pan.
To make sure a nice sponge cake, I beat the eggs +sugar using KA mixer for 30mins over low speed till thick and creamy. If follow traditional way of using hand to beat, i think my hands will be broken after beating, hahaha..
Egg sponge cake (new way of Kuih Bahulu)
*makes 16 muffin size of cake
(recipe source: adapted from Jane's corner with minor changes)
5 large eggs, room temperature
150g caster sugar
170g cake flour
1tsp baking powder
2tbsp melted butter
Kuaci (Melon seed)
1. Sift cake flour and baking powder, set aside.
2. Beat eggs and sugar over low speed in a mixer for 30mins or until the batter is thick and creamy (or you can write a letter "O" on the surface of batter and it should stay there for few seconds)
3. Add in melted butter spoon by spoon.
4. Slowly add in flour mixture, also spoon by spoon until batter well combined.
5. Pre-heat oven at 180c and also heat muffin pan in the oven at the same time.
6. Remove muffin pan, brush butter on the bottom and side of each muffin mould
7. Pour batter into muffin mould (about 80% full), bake for 20-25mins or until golden brown.
The additional of "kuaci" , made this cake so fragrant ! ! I'm going to take this with a cup of kopi "O" (black coffee), must be very yummy!
Happy Baking !!