I purposely bought a bottle of Marmite to cook this dish...Chicken Marmite is a very common dish when you take meal at Chinese restaurant. In order to use up this bottle, i am planning to cook this marmite with pork, prawn and crab which are very common serve in Chinese restaurant too.
Four basic sauces for this recipe..Honey, prawn paste, Marmite (yeast extract) and maltose
If you have never eaten chicken marmite before, I don't think you can imagine the taste after combined all these sauces ^_^
Chicken Marmite 妈蜜鸡
(recipe source: adapted basic sauces from Min’s blog)
800g chicken, chopped into bite sizes
1tbsp light soy sauce
1 small egg
4tbsp cornstarch or cake flour or potato flour
1tbsp Marmite (Marmite Yeast Extract) 妈蜜酵母精华
1tbsp honey 蜜糖
4tbsp Maltose 麦芽糖
1tsp shrimp paste 虾膏
100ml hot water
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
Garnish- sesame seeds, red chilli shredded, parsley
1. Marinate chicken with soy sauce, salt, pepper and egg for an hour or more.
2. Add Marmite, honey, maltose, shrimp paste with hot water in a small bowl, mix well and set aside.
3. Add in flour into chicken and coat well, deep fried chicken over medium heat till golden brown.
4. Use the same wok, add in chopped garlic and marmite water mixture, stir and cook till big bubbles, add in fried chicken, stir well to coat chicken entirely.
5. Garnish with roasted sesame seed, chilli and parsley. Serve hot.