I saw many Chinese bloggers made this homemade Tofufah (soft beancurd in syrup) last few weeks. As per how they described, this taste even better than those outside selling..After I tasted it and I could not stop making this Tofufah, simply silky smooth and yummy, hehehe..
The traditional way of making this tofufah is using gypsum (told this substance is not good for our health) or GDL ( you can refer to Wendy's post here ). I love this recipe because just simply add agar-agar powder..
Actually I made this tofufah 4 times in a row. Thought this is a simple recipe but in fact i was failed to make it for 2 times. Later i found out due to these reasons:-
1. Cook over medium heat (high heat) and short cooking time --improve to cook over low heat for longer time.
2. soy milk is too diluted ( I was short of soy milk so i added some water) , it take longer time to set and the texture is too soft--make sure to use thick soy sauce
I even made it to Silken tofu, look exactly like those selling outside right?
I use the empty box from previous purchase and fill it with homemade tofufah..But you can not steam this tofu as it will melt, you need to eat it straight from the fridge or warm till room temperature.
I was played smart, just bought RM 2 for 1 litre (USD 0.60) from the stall which selling fresh soy milk every morning and asked them to separate the syrup. So this way is save time and fast ^_^
Homemade Tofufah 无石膏粉的豆花
(recipe source: adapted from myme, original recipe from lee wan theng )
600ml fresh soy milk
1/2tsp agar-agar powder (I use Pearl Mermaid Thailand brand)
1. Divide soy milk into two equal portion (300ml for each).
2. Pour one portion 300ml into a heavy bottom saucepan and heat it up over low heat.
3. Dissolve agar-agar powder in another portion 300ml and mix well.
4. When soymilk in saucepan (no 2) turn slightly hot, gently pour in the soy milk and agar-agar mixture (no 3) into the saucepan, stir to mix well.
5. Stir from time to time, cook for about 8mins over low heat. Turn off heat when you see bubbles on top but not wait until it boil.
6. Pour the hot soy milk mixture into bowls, containers or ramekins.
7. Skim off the bubbles on top. Allow to sit for about 15mins to cool, skim off a thin layer of tofu curd on top.
8. Store in the fridge for 4 hours or just keep it in room temperature till it set. Enjoy with syrup or palm sugar syrup.