I tried out this simple bread recipe from a cookbook that i bought from Shanghai. It turn out so good, and we enjoyed this bun for breakfast today..Earlier i also tried out Pumpkin black sesame bread from this cookbook, it turned out good too, going to try out more recipes from this book..
Look at the filling, mashed potato and bacon, i know this is good!
The bread turned out slightly dry on the next day (normal for homemade bread) but still maintain the softness (i guess due to added mashed potato into the dough) ..
Mashed Potato Bacon Bread 薯泥培根面包(recipe source: adapted from meishilife cookbook with minor changes)
*makes 11 buns
75g mashed potato
300g bread flour
1 and 1/2tbsp milk powder
1tsp instant yeast
300g mashed potato
70g streaky bacon, chopped
1/2 large onion, chopped
30g melted butter
1/2tsp salt or taste
A dash of ground black pepper
1. Add all bread ingredients in a mixing bowl except butter, knead till soft dough.
2. Add in butter, continue knead till smooth dough (dough is quite sticky), set aside to proof until double in size.
3. To prepare filling, pan fry chopped onion and bacon till aroma. Add bacon mixture, mashed potato, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl, slowly add in melted butter, stir to combine well. (keep little melted butter for brushing later)
4. Divide dough into 11 equal portions, set aside to rest for 10mins.
5. Flour the work top, flatten dough into round, spoon filling in the middle, wrap and seal. Place on a baking tray. Let is proof for another 45mins.
6. To egg wash the surface, cut a cross pattern with a sharp scissor at the middle until you can see the filling.
7. Bake at pre-heated oven at 180c for 15mins..Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack, brush the top with melted butter for shinning effect.