If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Five Happiness Nutty Mooncakes 五仁月饼


I have bookmarked this recipe from Helena's kitchen since last year, finally i have a chance to try out this year..No one in the family fancy this mooncake except me, so i bake into the smaller size and small quantity..At the same time, i also able to clear all the leftover nuts (example pistachio from CNY) and "gam gam" (just nice) i have only 5 types of nut left, so perfectly to match this 五仁 (five types of nut).

IMG_8216 copy

Nuts and Dried fruits
IMG_8142


IMG_8196

I use the smaller pattern from this mooncake mould. I have started "Xian" (loose interest) on the bigger size of dragon pattern because i just bought another new mooncake mould, hehehe..

IMG_8220


Five Happiness Nutty Mooncakes 五仁月饼
(recipe source: fillign recipe from Helena’s kitchen, with minor changes)

Pastry
130g Hong Kong Flour
90g Golden syrup
30g cooking oil or peanut oil
1/4tsp alkaline water

Method
1. Sifted flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix syrup, peanut oil and alkaline water, slowly pour into flour.
3. Use a spatula or hands to mix till form a soft dough. Cover and rest it for 1 hour.
4. Weight 25g each and roll and shape into ball

Filling
40g almond, toasted and grind coarsely
IMG_8214 copy 40g pistachio, toasted and grind coarsely
40g walnut, toasted and grind coarsely
25g pine nuts, toasted
25g pumpkin seeds, toasted
20g raisin, chopped into small pieces25g dried cranberry, chopped into small pieces
25g dried winter melon, chopped into small pieces
20g chicken floss

60g Kor fun (cooked glutinuous rice flour) or adjust accordingly
50g water or adjust accordingly
30g cooking oil or adjust accordingly
20g sugar or adjust accordingly
1/2tsp Nam Yue (red fermented soy paste)
A pinch of Chinese five-spices powder

Method
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Weight 20g each and wrap with a piece of cling film and shape into ball.

Egg wash- 1 egg yok + 1tsp milk (lightly whisk to combine)

To assemblemake mooncake
1. Flatten the pastry ball and place a nutty filling in the centre, wrap and seal the dough by slowly push the dough until totally cover the whole filling. Slightly shape into a ball again.
2..Lightly flour the mould, knock out excess flour.
3. Place a mooncake ball into the mould and flatten the base o the biscuit with your palm.
4. Overturn the mould to tip the mooncake out by tapping the sides against the table lightly if needed.
5. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 180c for 7mins.
6. Remove mooncakes from oven and set aside to cool for at least 15mins.
7. Apply egg wash on the whole mooncake and bake at preheated oven at 170c for 15-20mins or until golden brown.
8. Remove mooncake from oven, immediately transfer to wire rack to cool. Serve after 1-2 days in room temperature as to soften the mooncake skin.

IMG_8202 copy

43 comments:

sabrina 莎莎 said...

Sonia~~
嗯。。你家的五仁和我的五仁的馅料有点不一样。。。咔咔。。让我也尝尝Sonia出品的五仁吧~~
yummy~~

Diane said...

Just on my over to try these out, they look amazing LOL. Take care Dciane

Sally said...

这些豆豆我都喜欢吃。。还有加入鸡肉松的很特别叻。。
^_^

My Little Space said...

Oooo...I love your mould. The pattern is so pretty. So sad that I hardly have time to make my own mooncake this year. Besides, no celebration cause going to attend hubby's niece wedding for 3 days. Hopefully, I'll be able to make some tomorrow night. hehe...
Have a lovely evening.
Kristy

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Wah first time see chicken floss in mooncake leh...very new to me! I wonder how it taste. :)) But frankly, I'm not so much of a fan to this kind of mooncake...think I must cultivate, because this is definitely more healthy!! ;)) Love the mini!

Mel said...

It look absolutely so beautifully baked. The pattern also look nice. Are these going to be your last baked mooncakes? Your family so lucky to have you to bake homemade mooncake as buying from shop now is so costly nowadays.

Marsita Yahya said...

Hi drop by again...
http://my-mintroom.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

it looks very special foe me. and i don like the out selling 五仁月饼。but yours one look very good. i bookmark it n try next time. tq.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

小巧得很精致呢:)

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

How lovely are these little cute moon cakes! Whatever you made, everything always turn out so perfectly done. I've no doubt that they taste as good as they look!!

ann low said...

Gosh! I love this... with chicken floss and nam yu sound great. Will bookmark for 2013 :D

Joceline Lor said...

sonia家的5仁和我家的也不一样哦。
看到你家的很赞哦。。。。。。很多我喜欢的nut nut。。

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

12345, so is this like 2 bites "gao dim" ones? I loveeeeeeee mooncakes but hoh, I don't like nut mooncake & snowskin mooncake, aiyah, i'm a fussy eater, so you really have to finish these 5 mooncakes yourself as I can't help you to finish them, hehehe!

Jane Chew said...

this is one of my favourite. Helena is good in this. So i always wait for her to send some over. Yours look great as well :)

Artsylicious said...

i like all the ingredients! nice mooncake!

missyblurkit said...

Sonia! Can I come over to eat some please? THANX!!!

Li Shuan said...

Greeting from Bali ! I hope you enjoy the five nuts mooncake even though no one support you at home haha....
eh eh...friend...tell u something..I saw a baking shop on my way to the hotel just now... it looks quite decent. I already asked for permission to go to the shop tomorrow. Will update u if there are goodies there ok!! : )

Mich Piece of Cake said...

I love the filling, very unique, so unlike the ordinary lotus paste. Will try next year...

Anonymous said...

So lovely the mooncakes! What is the purpose of the alkaline water?

Josephine

Tracy Low said...

伍仁月饼我不曾吃过,但你做的真的很漂亮。

divya said...

Wow...looks superb and mouthwatering...looks absolutely delicious.

VineelaSiva said...

WOw the moon cake looks very nice.Never tried this.

Chef and Sommelier said...

Sonia, impressive!

How many different types of mooncakes are you making every year?

PH said...

Got chicken floss and nam yue inside? Must be very fragrant, hor? Personally I don't like the one with nuts. Prefer lotus paste with egg yolk hee..hee...

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

You are incredible Sonia! Moon cakes are so pretty. I'm not much of a moon cake fan (more of mochi person) but always enjoy the beautiful mold and how gorgeous it looks at the end!

Casey said...

漂亮漂亮,我也喜欢吃果仁月饼!

Unknown said...

我来看看就好了,因为五仁月饼我不爱。。嘻嘻嘻!

珊珊 said...

伍仁月饼是我跟老公最爱吃的传统月饼咯。。
那天去店里买的。。。料好少。。不好吃的!!
姐妹们做的。。。才是真材实料呢!!

月饼很美哟!!

lena said...

oh, i like 五仁月饼,when i was young i didnt like it but now i appreciate the flavour and the nuttiness of these mooncakes. Never had one with chicken floss though :)

Ana Regalado said...

There are GORGEOUS , Sonia ! Love the nuts and fruit filling ! The addition of chicken floss sounds interesting ! :D

0620 said...

我喜欢五仁月饼,越吃越香 :P

Suhaina said...

wow..these looks so cute.. u r a pro...i admire ur skills dear.

Eileen, Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

Hi Sonia, I don't fancy eating 五仁,but the look of your mooncake looks tempting: )

Cheah said...

I like nutty mooncakes too ... something to chew on, Yours look petite and cute!

Swee San @ The Sweet Spot said...

i've not eaten nutty mooncakes for a verrrrryyyyy long time now *hint hint* hahaha

spdong said...

我喜欢吃金腿,但准备工夫蛮多,所以还是买比较划算!
但如果让莲蓉和伍仁让我选,我也情愿吃伍仁了,因为莲蓉太甜了!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Never try this type before...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow, this you also know how to make, looks good lah!

Yannie said...

Sonia, I don't like five nuts mooncake, but I would like to eat your five nuts mooncake. The ingredients of the five nuts and chicken floss look so good to me.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

These nuts kind is first time for me. My husband would love these!

mui mui said...

Sonia,
I love 五仁月饼too. I only know how to appreciated it when I started to learn baking. I like the nutty and chewy feeling of the nuts.
Yours looks so pretty. You make them into small size is even prettier...^^
mui

dE said...

hi Sonia Love your mooncake mould - where can I buy something similar? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love your food blog. Could you please let me know where I can buy the Wooden Dragon Mooncake Mould you have? Thanks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin