If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, September 10, 2012

Vietnamese Spring Rolls (Cha Gio)

I went a short trip to Hanoi recently. Vietnamese spring rolls was one of the item i ordered for almost all meals i taken there. I am ok with either deep fried or just plain rice paper wrap with shrimps, both were simply yummy..
IMG_7329 copy

I usually stock up this brand of fish sauce from Vietnam, this bottle i bought in Ho Chi Minh last time.

IMG_7295

In order not to waste, usually i will save the stem from Chinese shiitake mushroom. This time i chopped the stem (after soak in water to several hours) and add into the filling of this spring roll.
IMG_7286

These colourful bamboo small bowls also bought in Hanoi..

IMG_7292


Items that needed to make Vietnamese spring rolls..


Enjoy this spring roll, must have this yummy Vietnamese dipping sauce (nuoc cham )
IMG_7342 copy


Vietnamese Spring Roll (Cha Gio)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

For dipping sauce (nuoc cham)

IMG_7350 copy 1 and 1/2tbsp sugar
5tbsp hot water
1 and 1/2tsp Vietnamese fish sauce
½ key lime juices
1 clove garlic, chopped
½ fresh red chili, chopped

Method

1. Dissolved sugar in hot water. Set aside to cool.
2. Add in fish sauce, lime juices, chopped garlic and red chili, mix well and adjust the taste accordingly.

For spring roll

250g minced meat
3 shallots, chopped
70g mushroom stem or mushroom, chopped
10g carrot, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped

1tbsp fish sauce

1tsp sugar or to taste
1/2tsp salt or to taste
2tbsp water
1tbsp tapioca flour

Vietnamese rice paper

Lettuce leaves
Basil leaves


Method

1. Mix minced meat with all other ingredients and seasonings, stir till become sticky filling.
2. To roll the spring roll, dip a clean cloth or kitchen towel with drinking water, rub the entire rice paper.
3. Place 1 heaped tablespoon of filling on the moist rice paper, fold the rice paper over the filling, tuck in the sides, then roll to form a cyclinder.
4. Deep fry in cooking oil over medium heat till golden brown. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
5. Serve immediately with dipping sauce (nuoc cham ) or wrap with lettuce leaf and basil leaf and dip it with dipping sauce


This green plate with stand also bought in Hanoi..love it!


IMG_7337 copy

50 comments:

Mel said...

I was in fact awaiting for you to post some recipe since you went hol in Hanoi recently! And of course, I knew the Vietnamese Spring Rolls will be coming. Wish I could get the Rice Paper here. The bamboo bowl is very pretty. I bet it is not costly buying things there in Hanoi.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Mel, you can buy rice paper from Tesco.

Yannie said...

I like Vietnamese Spring Roll raw type one more.

Bakericious said...

Sonia, I love spring roll, yummy!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我喜欢那几个竹碗
好漂亮:)

PH said...

I like to eat this type of spring roll. Very ho chiak. Tesco got rice paper, kah? Never seen it. I must search for it when I go there.

yvonne said...

First thing that attracted me is the chilli sauce, haha! I don't know whether I had Vietnamese spring roll before or no. But I don't mind eating it every alternate day, deep fried or plain wrap.

I just love whatever rolled up :)

Simple Person said...

one of my fav.. I like to eat spring rolls...

Indian Khana said...

Looks yum n so perfect ..those bowls are super cute

Yee Ling said...

Hi Sonia

I received the invitation but unfortunately I cant make cos it is a working day.

Thanks anyway for extending the invitation to me.

Mel said...

Oh, I can get it at Tesco? I guess I haven't been really looking around! Thanks Sonia! The green plate with stand is really very beautiful! Lucky of you that you can "tumpang trip" occasionally.

daphne said...

you are so good at bringing a piece of your travels home. especially in terms of food! I can pop a few in my mouth I think! Crispy on the outside, savour sauce and meaty filling!

ann low said...

WOW! Look very yummy! I love Vietnamese spring rolls too :)

Annie's Journal said...

Sonia, I've also got similar big bamboo bowl like yours which I use to put my ongoing crochet thread projects, but mine is not painted. I like this kind of bowl:)

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

I love spring rolls. Hey, I thought this type of rice papers can't be used for deep-frying as I tried b4 & it didnt turn out nice for me. Waiting to see photos of your trip to Hanoi!

missyblurkit said...

This is a good and healthy recipe. However I wonder where can I get the rice papers in KL.

QembarDelites said...

I am not keen on Vietnamese spring rolls, too much vege lol! But that chili sauce looks delicious...

Li Shuan said...

Oh I tot this rice paper only can eat without cooking. Now I know it can be deep fried as well. Actually I preferr deep fried hot spring rolls rather than cold. But sometimes I want to avoid too much oily stuff I will also eat the non fried one. Yes, the seeping sauce is a must for this ....delicious delicious!

Martin said...

看起來好yummy喔~ 尤其是那炸得金黃的外皮, 咬下一定是"卡茲"聲響~

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Coincidentally I had some Vietnamese spring rolls last night at a Ang Mo restaurant. Since its a fusion dish, it wasn't good. I remember having it in Sydney at Swanson street too and those were yummy! Yours really reminded me of that! Love the sweet and tangy sauce that goes with the crispy spring rolls, yums!

My Little Space said...

I wanted to try making these too when I get the rice sheet. I saw them once somewhere. Guess, have to ask the grocery owner if he still had them.
Hope you're going to have a fabulous week ahead, dear.
Kristy

Baby Sumo said...

I also love to order this when we visit the Vietnamese restaurant in 1U. Greasy but so good! LOL.

ICook4Fun said...

This will be our must order appetizer when we visit the vietnamese restaurant. I tried making it once but not sure why the wrappers get all sticky and soft after frying.

zila norazila said...

so seeedaaapp sonia,
i wnna try nxt:)

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I always look forward for your new post, hehe...

Elin said...

Looks good with the dip sauce :) I love your bamboo bowls..nice !

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

i like your deep fried spring rolls, golden colour, sure very yummy

Sally said...

春卷应该很好吃了,再配那个粘酱一定更加好吃。。

喜欢你买回来的碗盘都好漂亮哦。。;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! your cha gio look crispy. You can also try add some 'tung fun', grated yam and mook yee. It's taste delicious.

BabeIpoh

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

I love all spring rolls too, both fried and with the plain rice paper... This looks so delicious. It's lunch time and my mouth is watering when I look at your fried version with the chilli sauce!

Angelic Heart~ said...

i would like to try this long time ago but couldn't get Vietnamese rice paper and Vietnamese fish sauce. do you sell it in your kedai runcit?

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

hehe...i though is ngo hsiang :)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

looks really tasty and crisp spring rolls u got there Sonia...just love it:)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

looks really tasty and crisp spring rolls u got there Sonia...just love it:)

3 hungry tummies said...

Haha you did make Vietnamese spring rolls! :) This is a must order when we visit a Vietnamese eatery

Ana Regalado said...

Yum !!!! These look really delectable ! And those bamboo bowls look really good !

Quay Po Cooks said...

I prefer those that are not fried but my Quay Lo love the fried ones. So when I make I must make both.

Quay Po Cooks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Choi Yen said...

I prefer non-fried version, more refreshing~

Akila said...

looks lovely...


Event: Dish Name Starts With O till October 15th
Learning-to-cook

Regards,
Akila

Unknown said...

你家的春卷看起来很好吃。。

Gloria Baker said...

I love these Sonia look absolutely amazing we love rolls!

Unknown said...

Love Vietnamese Spring Rolls and there is this place I enjoy ordering them while I am in Springville, Melbourne. Can't recall of the place name though. I will definitely start making them on my own when I have a the craving. Nothing beats home cooked food. Btw, I enjoyed reading through your holiday in Japan too. I hope I get to visit Japan one day. Thanks for sharing too. Have a great week. Cheers, Jo

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Sonia, These are beautiful ~ I am wanting one (or 3) right now!! :) Thank you for sharing the recipe. xo~m

sean said...

最喜欢来你家了。

总是有上不完的美食。
看了都很开胃。:)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

We always order these at a restaurant but never made Vietnamese style egg rolls at home. I should - my kids love it and I love the dipping sauce!

Passionate About Baking said...

Yummy! Yours looked so authentic! Me too. When I was in Hanoi, I also had their spring rolls in almost every meals! LOL. Looking at your spring rolls made me missed Vietnamese spring rolls!

lena said...

so far i only tried the non fried version, i didnt even know they have fried rolls! the green plate is nice!

温馨小屋 said...

看起来真美味~

ShellyBean said...

I tried making these, and unfortunately all the filling spilled out of my rolls when I had placed them in the vegetable oil. Any tips on what I did wrong?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin