I went a short trip to Hanoi recently. Vietnamese spring rolls was one of the item i ordered for almost all meals i taken there. I am ok with either deep fried or just plain rice paper wrap with shrimps, both were simply yummy..
I usually stock up this brand of fish sauce from Vietnam, this bottle i bought in Ho Chi Minh last time.
In order not to waste, usually i will save the stem from Chinese shiitake mushroom. This time i chopped the stem (after soak in water to several hours) and add into the filling of this spring roll.
These colourful bamboo small bowls also bought in Hanoi..
Items that needed to make Vietnamese spring rolls..
Enjoy this spring roll, must have this yummy Vietnamese dipping sauce (nuoc cham )
Vietnamese Spring Roll (Cha Gio)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
For dipping sauce (nuoc cham)
1 and 1/2tbsp sugar
5tbsp hot water
1 and 1/2tsp Vietnamese fish sauce
½ key lime juices
1 clove garlic, chopped
½ fresh red chili, chopped
1. Dissolved sugar in hot water. Set aside to cool.
2. Add in fish sauce, lime juices, chopped garlic and red chili, mix well and adjust the taste accordingly.
For spring roll
250g minced meat
3 shallots, chopped
70g mushroom stem or mushroom, chopped
10g carrot, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
1tbsp fish sauce
1tsp sugar or to taste
1/2tsp salt or to taste
1tbsp tapioca flour
Vietnamese rice paper
1. Mix minced meat with all other ingredients and seasonings, stir till become sticky filling.
2. To roll the spring roll, dip a clean cloth or kitchen towel with drinking water, rub the entire rice paper.
3. Place 1 heaped tablespoon of filling on the moist rice paper, fold the rice paper over the filling, tuck in the sides, then roll to form a cyclinder.
4. Deep fry in cooking oil over medium heat till golden brown. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
5. Serve immediately with dipping sauce (nuoc cham ) or wrap with lettuce leaf and basil leaf and dip it with dipping sauce
This green plate with stand also bought in Hanoi..love it!