I think i better quickly share this Asam fish curry with Zespri kiwifruit recipe with you, so you can cook it up during these holidays (Malaysia day) , and remember to cook more rice because one plate rice is not enough, this asam curry is simply delicious!
Happy Malaysia Day to all Malaysian !!
Quickly go and grap some Zespri Kiwifruit from the supermarket nearby (in fact i just bought some at Tesco this morning at discounted price) , because this is one of the main ingredient for this Asam curry..
Next time i will just use my sweet sambal tumis to cook this asam curry, quick and fast!
Nyonya-style Asam Fish Curry with Zespri Kiwifruit wedges
(recipe source: by Rohani Jelani @ Bayan Indah, courtesy by Zespri Kiwifruit)
3 Zespri Green Kiwifruit, peeled and quartered lengthwise
1 torch ginger (bunga kantan), quatered lengthwise
600g fish, cut into 5cm chunks or 3cm slices/steaks * red snapper or threadfin or white pomfret
1tsp salt or to taste
1 and 1/2tbsp sugar or to taste
40g tamarind pulp
Chili paste ingredients
15g dried chillies, snipped into 1cm lengths
3 fresh red chillies(60g), seeded and sliced
100g shallots, sliced
2 stalk lemongrass, cut 12cm from the base, sliced
1cm turmeric root, sliced
5g shrimp paste
125ml water or adjust accordingly
1. Soak dried chillies in warm water for 15mins until softened, Rinse several times, discarding as many of the seed as possible.
2. Place the dried chillies, fresh chillies, shallots, lemongrass, turmeric, shrimp paste and the 125ml water in an electric blender. Whiz to a fairly fine paste and set aside.
3. Squeeze tamarind pulp and 650ml water together with your fingers to extract the pulp. Discard seeds, set tamarind liquid aside.
4. Heat oil in a roomy pan and add blended chili paste, cooking on low heat until most of the liquid evaporates, oil surfaces and mixture smells “cooked” and fragrant (take about 30mins).
5. Add tamarind liquid and bring mixture to boil. Add torch ginger, salt and sugar. Simmer mixture on medium heat for 5-6mins before adding fish. Cook until fish turns opaque, about 10mins. Add kiwifruit wedges, bring mixture back to boil and take pan off the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings.