I saw many Chinese bloggers have started making mooncakes, i just started my engine making mooncake yesterday, hehehe..My sister sent me a nice "Pinang yam" which is homegrown and organic. I quickly use it to attempt this flaky swirl yam mooncakes again because i am not so satisfy with last year's mooncake look
I saw Honey Bee Sweet using ghee instead of shortening (last year i used shortening) and her flaky mooncake look so beautiful..So this time i changed from shortening to ghee, and i am satisfied with the mooncake look this time.
In order to let the filling look more attractive, i added purple sweet potato ..
Which type you like? marble or simple purple ring around?
Ya, for the yam filling, i did not followed to my earlier recipe (Teochew O Ni style) this time. This time i followed to original Carol's recipe. I have to omit milk powder from the original recipe because i found the texture of filling was quite dry before adding milk powder (i guess difference type of yam giving difference texture). Anyway, my family still prefered to old filling recipe because they complaining the filling taste very strong milky (奶味）. Imagine i did not add milk powder, if i add milk powder, then the taste will be too milky..
I still sharing the Carol's filling recipe here, if you prefer not milky filling like me, you may refer to my old recipe.
Ya, when rolling the dough, i did not rest the dough in between like last time, I "sekali gus" finished roll it, but still resulted flaky skin, save time!
We love this yam mooncake because it is less sweet as we can control sugar amount..
Flaky Swirl Yam Mooncakes 芋頭酥 (1)
(recipe source: adapted from Honey Bee Sweet, original from Carol, you may refer to detail steps photo at my old post )
625g yam peeled, cut into chunks
100g caster sugar
38g salted butter
1. Steam the yam chunks at high heat till soft. While still hot, add in sugar and butter, mash the yam till creamy. Set aside to cool.
2. Weight 30g each and shape it to ball.
Purple sweet potato filling
200g peeled, steamed and mashed
20g confectioner's sugar
20g unsalted butter
1. While the mashed sweet potato is still hot from the steaming, add in the butter and sugar in. mash with fork till all incorporated. Set aside to cool before use.
2. Weight 20g and wrap over yam ball, set aside.
255g cake flour
1/4tsp yam essence
Few drop of purple food coloring
1. Mix cake flour, essence and ghee together till it's soft and pliable. Then add the food coloring and knead till the color is uniform. Cover and let rest 20 minutes or chill in fridge till needed.
300g plain flour
23g icing sugar
115g ice cold water
1. Mix everything together and knead till it comes together into a pliable soft dough. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
To make flaky swirl yam mooncake
1. Weight water dough 60g each and oil dough 40g each, shape into ball.
2. Flatten water dough and wrap oil dough inside.
3. Roll out into long shape and roll up like swiss roll.
4. Roll from the shorter side into long shape and roll up like swiss roll from shorter side.
5. Cut the dough into 2 portions and repeat the rest of the dough until finished.
6. Flatten the dough start from the swirl side and roll out into a round disc.
7. Flip over and wrap in yam filling and seal it tightly, seal edge facing downwards.
8. Place on baking tray and bake in preheated oven 170C for 25-30mins.
9. Cool well before cutting.
Nowadays bakery ingredients shop is selling with full set of mooncake packaging...