I have been figuring out what recipe to make using this lovely double happpiness 双喜 mould given by "Penang gang" . Finally i decided to try this coconut mooncake which is also new to me..
My method of eggwash..
Coconut mooncakes 椰蓉月饼
(recipe source: pastry recipe from Butter,Flour & Me, coconut filing from Eileen, with minor changes)
*using double happiness 双喜 mould, makes 11 pcs , leftover 3 pcs filling
130g Hong Kong Flour
90g Golden syrup
30g cooking oil or peanut oil
1/4tsp alkaline water
1. Sifted flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Mix syrup, peanut oil and alkaline water, slowly pour into flour.
3. Use a spatula or hands to mix till form a soft dough. Cover and rest it for 1 hour.
4. Weight 20g each and roll and shape into ball
15g cooking oil ( original recipe use butter)
150g grated coconut (from young coconut)
40g Kor Fun (cooked glutinous rice flour)
10g roasted sesame seeds
Egg wash- 1 egg yok + 1tsp milk (lightly whisk to combine)
1. Mix grated coconut with Kor Fun together, set aside.
2. Add cooking oil and sugar in a saucepan, cook till sugar dissolved.
3. Add in grated coconut and water, stir and mix well.
4. Remove from the heat and add in roasted sesame seeds, mix well. Set it aside to cool.
5. Weight 20g each and roll and shape into ball.
To make mooncake
1. Flatten the dough ball and place a coconut filling in the centre, wrap and seal the dough by slowly push the dough until totally cover the whole filling. Slightly shape into a ball again.
2..Lightly flour the mould, knock out excess flour.
3. Place a mooncake ball into the mould and flatten the base o the biscuit with your palm.
4. Overturn the mould to tip the mooncake out by tapping the sides against the table lightly if needed.
5. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 180c for 7mins.
6. Remove mooncakes from oven and set aside to cool for at least 15mins.
7. Apply egg wash on the whole mooncake and bake at preheated oven at 170c for 15-20mins or until golden brown.
8. Remove mooncake from oven, immediately transfer to wire rack to cool. Serve after 1-2 days in room temperature as to let the mooncake skin soften.