If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, November 4, 2013

Kai Loog Keuy / Thai Son-in-law eggs


I had this dish at a Thai restaurant on the other day. I was curious the funny name then I asked the waiter why this dish has such funny name called Son-in-law eggs, but he couldn't tell me an answer.
After I google, according to here, this little deep-fried, savoury egg dish is traditionally cooked by Thai mothers for their soon-to-be son-in-laws as a grave warning that if they decide to get a little promiscuous with their beloved daughters, their precious gems will end up boiled, deep-fried and served with sweet sauce. Thai's mothers are cute and creative right ^_^
This is a great way to get rid of leftover boiled eggs, the sweet and sour pour over fried eggs, kids especially love them.


sie2 copy

 
You better close the wok with lid when frying the boiled eggs, it like frying "bom", scary ^_^
sie7.jpg

 
I find the dish served at the restaurant more to sweet side, I adjusted the seasonings so the sauce not only has sweet and sour taste, also come with a hint of saltiness, nicer actually..
sie copy


Kai Loog Keuy / Thai Son-in-law eggs
(recipe source: reference made to here, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

3 hard-boiled eggs

sie2 copy
Sauce ingredients
2tbsp palm sugar
1tbsp tamarind paste mix with 3tbsp water, strain the juices
2tbsp water
1tbsp fish sauce
1tsp tapioca starch or corn starch with little water, to thicken

Garnishing
Fried shallots
Cabbage, shredded
Coriander leaves
Fresh red chili, sliced

Method

  1. Heat cooking oil in a wok, deep fry whole hard-boiled eggs till golden brown. Drain the fried eggs out of the oil and set aside to cool. Halve the eggs and place them on a serving plate.
  2. To cook the sauce, in the same wok, add all sauce ingredients except thickening tapioca starch and cook over low heat till boiled. Taste and adjust it accordingly. Then thicken the sauce by adding tapioca water.
  3. Pour the sauce over the eggs, then garnish with fried shallots, coriander leaves, chili and cabbage. Serve warm with rice.

I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) - November Month hosted by Lena of frozen wings

30 comments:

Rose world said...

That is a very funny name. I must teach my mum to cook so she can cook for her son-in-law! Lol!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

At first when I saw the name, am curious abt it...

victoria bakes said...

hahahaha! what an interesting background to the name... "watch it.. or i'm gonna fry your..." but frankly, this looks like a delish egg dish

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Wonderfully presented and delicious looking egg preparation. Excellent pics as well.
Deepa

Anonymous said...

Lovely phillosophy behind this simple dish......
we used to cooked the egg within the sauce, it's called semur in Indonesia...

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Oh, i thought this is a scottish or irish dish coz son-in-law egg is a famous dish but their version is the egg is coated with something. Last time i made the son-in-law which the eggs were coated with prawn paste. so, will you make this for your future son-in-law, hahaha!

Li Shuan said...

haha ..what a story for this egg...iooor...the son in law sure takut eggs kena fried haha...

Mel said...

What a funny name for this dish! I should have known.....a dish to cook for the future son-in-law. So simple yet so yummy!

Baby Sumo said...

Haha Sonia, the origin of the name made me laugh. Beware all men! :P

Long time ago I wanted to make this, but bcos need to deep fry I didn't. Looks yummy!

Unknown said...

ha ha I enjoyed the story! Now all men beware!

Veronica said...

Beautiful eggs! my daughter's boyfriend ordered this when we went to a Thai restaurant recently, imagine if he knew the story behind this delicious dish, would he dare to order? Haha.

Sissi said...

I have never seen it in a Thai restaurant here, so I think it's high time I tried making these eggs at home. They look excellent and so tempting (especially for a big egg fan like me!).

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

第一次听过,真有趣,嘻嘻。。

ann low said...

I thought this son-in-law is Malaysian version. What a funny story, grave warning... hahaa

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

你很有求证精神啊:)

Lite Home Bake said...

I was attracted to this for its name too, funny yeah. Jokes aside this is a simple but delicious and appetizing dish. Yummy!

lena said...

that's funny how the name of this dish came by...i wonder what will happened if the soon to be son in law refuses to eat these eggs? hehe...thx for your submission again!

柠檬叶 said...

看起来好好吃?真是一个不错的料理~ 我又长见识了:)

Esther Lau said...

hahaha...very funny story behind! Both eggs and sauce look mouthwatering! :)

Sally said...

好久没有吃炸蛋了哈哈
第一次看到这样的料理,看起来很棒哦^_^

PH said...

What a cute and funny story! These eggs must be very yummy.

MunatyCooking said...

Interesting name and great way to use the extra boiled eggs :)

Unknown said...

i love this dish too. agree that most restaurants made it too sweet!

Gloria Fernandes said...

lovely dish ..beautiful pics

mui mui said...

Hi Ah Chi,
I borrowed a Thai cookbook from the library last Sunday and I saw this dish too. I was curious why it is named 'son in law's eggs' Now I know why?? :D

Yours looks so good!
Does it taste a bit like Masak Merah?
mui

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Interesting story for this dish! I had never had this, but being a huge boiled egg fan (or any kind of eggs), this sounds so good! I especially love the thai flavor. Looks yum!

Ana Regalado said...

I love the look of these eggs ! Very appetizing and I bet really delicious :D

Ana Regalado said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
choi yen said...

What a name!

Unknown said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin