If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Vietnamese Pumpkin flowers stuffed with prawn (bong bi don thit) 越式酿南瓜花

I tried to order this stuffed pumpkin flowers with prawn when we were taking dinner at one of the restaurant at Ho Chi Minh but it was out of stock. Before return home, I was happy to find this edible pumpkin flowers at a wet market nearby hotel, so I brought back some to try out.

spf copy

 
This was the first time I enjoyed a cuisine using edible flowers..It seem quite hard to find pumpkin flowers at our pasar (market) here ..
spf2 copy


spf1 copy


spf8


spf12.jpg


spf6 copy
Frankly, it was hard to detect the pumpkin flower aroma..

spf7 copy


Vietnamese Pumpkin flowers stuffed with prawn (bong bi don thit) 越式酿南瓜花

12 pumpkin flowers, stems intact with stamen removed

spf4 copy
Filling ingredients
115g prawns paste
100g fish paste
Dill, chopped ( I replaced with spring onions)
1/2tsp fish sauce
1/2tsp salt or to taste
1/2tsp sugar
Freshly crushed black pepper

Crispy batter- refer to recipe here

Method

1.     Mix all filling ingredients till thick paste.

2.     Take a tablespoon of paste and carefully stuff each pumpkin flower. 

3.     Coat each flower with crispy batter.

4.     Heat oil in a wok, deep fry flowers in batches over medium low heat until crisp and golden brown, place on absorbent paper towel.

5.     Serve hot.

Recipe inspired by : here, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

32 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

The pumpkin flower, something new to me...

Baby Sumo said...

In many fine dining restaurant here, they like to use pumpkin and zucchini flower. I plant pumpkin so I can get the flowers (haha hard to find in market) but the snail always eats the flowers before it's ready for harvest :(

Mel said...

Oh wow, you must be real lucky to get these flowers. I used to go to wet market too butnever come across any of this flowers at all. This dish you make must be very delicious with the prawns stuffing.

Victoria Bakes said...

These r so lovely Sonia! The aroma together with the bountiful of filling.... Oh.... Now I'm seriously hungry! U always make me hungry.... Ahhhhh

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

开了眼界
我还真的不知道这花儿可以吃呢:)

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

Hai Sonia lama kak Ros tak masuk sini, lain dari yang lain ni.

Little blue said...

First time to know pumpkin flower can eat this way~

Small Kucing said...

Me too...firdt time know that flower can be eaten. Ingat kum chum flower can eat only

ann low said...

I've never seen pumpkin flower before. So pretty!

Unknown said...

You are amazing in cooking Vietnamese food!

ICook4Fun said...

Over here we usually used zucchini flowers with a tiny zuccchini attach on it and stuff it with some cheese. It is consider a delicacy and cost quite a bit when you order it in the restaurant. The flower taste really good too when you cut it up and make into omelette.

ice pandora said...

I've heard about edible zucchini flowers but never heard of pumpkin flowers! It sure looks delicious!
Xx

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh yummy!

柠檬叶 said...

太美了,花中的美食~ 一边吃一边觉想象自己是蜜蜂蝴蝶啥的,哈哈哈。。。
南瓜花很难买得到。
是不是可以用马来西亚的国花-大红花来取代啊?那可是随处都可以采摘到的哦,嘻嘻嘻。。。

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Very special dish. Next time i must steal my mom's pumpkin flower to cook this, hahaha..

VineelaSiva said...

Stuffing pumpkin flowers looks yummy.

Jozelyn Ng said...

This is a special recipe to me, looks tasty!

Unknown said...

wow..its great share...love it

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

这南瓜花还是第一次看到,
sonia你能的很厉害变,给你多多like

Joceline Lor said...

好厉害哦。很赞的一道菜肴。

Gloria Fernandes said...

never heard of this before...it looks so pretty...lovely clicks

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day! Never heard of pumpkin flower, only zucchini flower, Sonia, true!
Your photos are stunning! Wish I could try one right now too!
Cheers! Joanne

My Little Space said...

Wow.... these pumpkin flowers came all the way from Vietnam. It looks quite the same as zucchini flower though.
Kristy

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , I seldom see pumpkin flower here as well :P Your fritters reminds me of tempura sans filling , of course :D .... Gorgeous photos as always !

Esther Lau said...

Wow...very interesting!!!Eat flower this time,hehe.... :)

Li Shuan said...

It is very hard to see this flower here... I bet this must taste good. Next time if I see this in the market I must quick quick buy some to try

Ivy Sew said...

Hi Sonia, this pumpkin flower looks so beautiful and yummy. The only edible flower I ever tried is Chinese Violet or Telosma Cordata. Will try to look out for pumpkin flowers in my local pasar. Have a wonderful day :)

Wordsmith said...

I have been to Vietnam a few times but never tried this delicacy before. Looks so pretty n yummy !

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

First time seeing the pumpkin flower, amazing dish!

Sissi said...

I thought zucchini flowers were eaten only in Europe. What a surpring and delicious recipe!

PH said...

Sonia, I would love to try this but so hard to get pumpkin flowers.

lena said...

i never seen pumpkin flowers before..i'm not even aware that pumpkin has flowers...hehe..a very delighting dish with edible flowers!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin