If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, November 8, 2013

Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Crepes) 越南煎饼

After I made the Vietnamese Bo La Lot, I used the leftover bean sprouts and herbs to make another Vietnamese cuisine Banh Xeo. Banh Xeo is a Vietnamese savoury crepes that stuffed with meat, bean sprouts and herbs. A lot of peoples thought the crepes is a egg crepe, actually the crepes is made with rice flour and colour with turmeric powder but no egg is added. The first time I had this was at Quan An Ngon, Ho Chi Minh Vietnam.


bx copy

 
some of the ingredients
bx4

 
if you don't have a good non-stick wok, then you can use non-stick frying pan to make this..

bx8.jpg

 
Crispy edges, yum!
bx3 copy


Ok, here are some update about my blog:-
My blog will go through some renovation. I will remove the current blog list (remove those inactive blogs and some blogs that I seldom visit) and make a new blog list (it may take some time for me to recover all blogs). Also move the traffic counter to the bottom of the blog since I don’t really care the traffic figures. Due to my busy schedule, I have no time to take part of any blog activities in the future (i will try to participate if time is permitted) and also I have stopped to operate “My Kedai Runcit” shop.
Thanks for all the readers is browsing my blog every now and then. Anyway, I will still bake, cook and try out new recipes for my family and sharing in my blog. Hope you all enjoy reading my post!


Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Crepes) 越南煎饼
(recipe source: made reference to here, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

Batter
120 rice flour
bx2 copy 110g coconut milk
110g water
1tbsp cooking oil
1/4tsp salt
1/2tsp turmeric powder

Filling
100g bean sprouts
Some chopped spring onions and corianders, shredded carrot
100g prawns
100g lean pork, sliced

Dipping sauce- Nuoc cham sauce (Vietnamese chili dipping sauce), recipe refer here

Method

  1. Heat little oil in a frying pan, cook prawns and pork slices separately, season with salt, remove and set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a wok over low heat, pour batter in the wok and swirl to distribute evenly. Sprinkle cooked prawns, pork slices, bean sprouts, carrots, spring onions and corianders over half of the batter. Cover with the lid, cook for several minutes.
  3. When cooked through and edges are browned, fold the crêpe over and slide onto a plate. Repeat for second crêpe.
  4. To serve, serve as an appetizer to share or a main dish. To eat, wrap a piece of the crêpe into a lettuce leaf with a few herbs. Dip into the sauce and enjoy!


40 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Me always enjoy coming to your blog... :)

Rose world said...

You make me hungry with the food pics. Time for lunch!! hehehe!

Baby Sumo said...

Oooo at first I thought the crepe is made from egg, after reading your post then I know it's colored by turmeric. Like the look of the crispy edges, hope to try one day!

Enjoy your break from blogging but still hope to see your recipes, as I enjoy reading them very much :D

Li Shuan said...

我每次都跑去越南店买这个ready made煎饼粉,想不到食谱这么简单。这是有一次越南同事给我做饭盒时我才知道这个料理的。 这个很好吃。 谢谢分享

Joceline Lor said...

Sonia真的很厉害。这个越南蛋煎饼好好吃的。谢谢你的分享也。感恩。
好的,就等你慢慢整理和‘大扫除’你的blog。嘻嘻嘻 。。。。。。

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

你真的很厉害, 每一个国家的菜肴都逃不过你的“手掌”, 哈哈!

Unknown said...

Your crepes look delicious!

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

你已经是国际性的高手了,
样样料理都难不到你,赞啊!

Mel said...

I thought the crepe batter just some normal ingredients but after another look, oh...with coconut milk and tumeric....sounds special to me. Sure to be yummy with those fillings in it.

Veronica said...

Looks so authentic! And yummy too.

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

I feel so lazy to update my blog this week so only posted 1. This vietnamese pancake was introduced to me by my vietnamese gf a long time ago & I haven't had it for a long time too. Love to see the golden colour of it!

柠檬叶 said...

Sonia,Your Cotton Cake is very very nice and soft, today i just baked,thank you for sharing ah....

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , you wont host Chinese New Year delights next year :D Love the look of your crepes , I think the texture of the Vietnamese crepe is much more better compare to the one which uses egg esp with savoury filling .

mui mui said...

Hi Ah Chi,
Such special Vietnamese crepe.
Love to see how the crispy edges, its lace like.

Oh!! your are going to do a spring cleaning to your blog. Take your time, i sometimes miss some of your posts but i always come back to read later cause i really love reading your post..:D
mui

Lite Home Bake said...

This is interesting, egg like but not eggs. Love the crisp edge,looks so yummy. Reminds me of a good or chien :)

ICook4Fun said...

I will order this crepe when we eat at vietnamese restaurant. still have a packet crepe flour in my pantry. I think is time to use it.

Victoria bakes said...

Believe it or not I am discovering more cuisines from different countries from your blog as compared to when I travel..... U r unbelievable

ann low said...

Nice egg crepe. Must try this one day!

Esther Lau said...

Nice and simple Thai dish! I believe my family will love this dish. Looking forward to see your new house renovation :)

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

等你哟
无论如何
一定支持:)

Unknown said...

Love your recipes. This crepe must be fragrant with the coconut milk added.

lena said...

interesting to know that this crepe has no eggs. Noted about your blog changes...meanwhile, take care and happy cooking !

kentcth said...

I ate the Bing Dong Kai Dan (Rock sugar egg yoke) in Ipoh Old Town, TianJin 天津 Kopi Shop, some 30 years ago. Went to Ipoh to search for the Rock Sugar egg last few years and could not find it. Do you know where to find or how to make Rock Sugar Egg?

Sissi said...

I thought it was a thin omelette! Amazing coulour thanks to turmeric. These crepes look extraordinary.

Anonymous said...

Never made a crepe without egg before...
isn't it easily tear off???
i just brought bean sprout and vietnamese mint, tempting to give this recipe a try!
i guess this recipe is suits with my diet...

PH said...

I haven't tasted this Vietnamese crepes before but I think I sure will enjoy it!

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never had Vietnamese crepes...it sure looks very tempting!

Small Kucing said...

yummy.. I have just had my breakfast but still drools at this recipe

柠檬叶 said...

Sonia,i just learn to cook your Fragrant Claypot Salted Fish and Belly Pork, so so yummy lah,hahahha

CQUEK said...

These look so moist and delicious! Yum…

Karen said...

looks delicious, must try this one day.. :)

daphne said...

I'm still active!!

I think this is a healthy and clean meal. I might use a thin omelette for the wrap but such a good idea with the thin crepe!! I am always a fan of vietnamese food and this shows why! Simple yet healthy.

Little Corner of Mine said...

My girls would love this! Looks delicious and refreshing with all the herbs.

Elaine said...

Good morning Ms Sonia,
Thanks for sharing so many wonderful recipes with us.. Hope to read more as you have always been a inspiration for me!

My Little Space said...

HOwdy Sonia ! This Vietnamese dish sounds so really tempting. I really like how they serve their food. Always look so simple & yet healthy. >o< Thanks so much for sharing it.
Enjoy your day.
Blessings, Kristy

Elin Chia said...

Love love your blog and your generous sharing ;) Sonia.. enjoy blogging and cooking ya ;) will be popping in most time ;)

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

Absolutely love this! I always order this when I get Vietnamese takeaway. The one I buy is quite greasy, but very crispy and yummy with all the veg, herbs and sauce :) I have to try this one day!

Shu Han said...

LOVE BANH XEO! One of my best friends in London is a wonderful Vietnamese chef and I just got her cookbook- banh xeo is top on my list to try. It's so inspiring and encouraging to see it on your blog too :) Time for me to start doing it too!

Amelia said...

Hi Sonia, your Vietnamese crepe look so tempting. Thank for sharing the wonderful recipe.

Have a great weekend.

Shu Han said...

p.s. just tried it today and it was awesomeeeeee! used a mix of your and my friend's recipe!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin