If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, November 25, 2013

Crème Caramel 原味布丁

The first time I tasted crème caramel not in anywhere else but in Ho Chi Minh at Pho 24 shop. Vietnam's food is very much influenced by French, you even able to find this crème caramel selling at market. Anyway, it took me long enough to make this yummy dessert at home.


fcc13 copy


While pouring the egg mixture into ramekin that filled with caramel, i only started to worry will the egg mixture totally mix with caramel ? will the custard stick to the ramekins after baked? Luckily this recipe never failed me, the crème caramel came out perfectly after unmould..
fcc15.jpg

 
We like the smooth custard and little bitter of caramel, but my kids somehow don't appreciate this dessert..
You have to add some liqueur to get rid of eggy smell. I used Cointreau, it was just nice with a hint of orange smell.

fcc12 copy

 
Crème Caramel 原味布丁
*makes 5 x 3” ramekins, and 3 x 2” ramekins

75g coarse sugar
4 and ½ tbsp water

fcc11 copy
430g fresh milk
60g whipping cream (dairy)
90g caster sugar
4 eggs (large)
10g Brandy liqueur ( I use Cointreau (orange-flavoured liqueur))

Method

  1. To cook caramel. Put 50g coarse sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, don’t stir, but you can shake the pan, just let it melt and cook till it turned to dark golden.
  2. Turn heat to low, then add 3tbsp water ( being a bit cautious here, as it sometimes splutters at this stage), using a wooden spoon, stir till mix well. Remove from heat. Spoon caramel into prepared ramekins, about 0.5cm height.
  3. Place the eggs and Cointreau in a bowl and lightly whisk until well combined.
  4. Add milk, cream, and sugar in a saucepan, cook over medium heat until it just comes to the boil. Remove from heat.
  5. Gradually add the milk mixture (not too hot) with egg mixture, whisking to combine. Strain the mixture and gently pour into the ramekins or dishes until ¾ full.
  6. Place ramekins in a water bath (add warm water for about 1-2cm height). Bake for 35 minutes or until set in a pre-heated oven at 150C.
  7. Remove ramekins from oven once done, let it cool in room temperature. Refrigerate before consume. Gently run a knife over the ramekins then turn out onto plates to serve.
Recipe inspired by: Tokyo Pastry House cookbook, with slight changes

32 comments:

Mel said...

I can see that not all know how to appreciate this type of dessert but some would really so so so in love with this caramel custard especially my mum! You made yours looking really good...and so slurpppp yummy!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

So nice...

Anonymous said...

hi sonia..thanks for sharing this lovely recipe..can i just omit the cointreau? the only liquer i have is amaretto... :-P

Sue

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sue, don't omit the liquer, maybe you can use your amaretto..

Jozelyn Ng said...

Hi, Sonia, your post remind me that I have bought few ramekins but rarely use :) perhaps I should try this...

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

吸引人的呢
我还没在家做过这个,嘻嘻

Victoria Bakes said...

this is such a pretty dessert to wow the guests after dinner

Diane said...

Nothing better than a good crème caramel :-)) Have a good day Diane

PH said...

Aiyoooo!!!! I love this dessert!

Li Shuan said...

This is one of my fav desserts. Silky n smooth texture with caramel ..very nice

Gloria Fernandes said...

It's my favorite dessert.. Looks perfectly done.. Yummy

柠檬叶 said...

Yummy!!! i love it~~~
Delicious to eat and to look at.

蚊子 said...

Oh~~ this dessert was reminded me that how long i never make it.. will be do it some day. hehe

Unknown said...

Sonia,your caramels are awesome!I made this before but when unmold it 's broken,I guessI had no skill for this ^^ Yes,it is very popular dessert in Vietnam!

Elaine said...

Good morning Sonia
Love this creme caramel.. thanks for sharing the recipe. Thank you for including me in your blogroll too.

Lisa Ho said...

Smooth and beautiful.
I love this :D

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Next time can make this dessert for me, hehehe. Like eating "tao fu fa."

Baby Sumo said...

Love this dessert, used to eat it a lot cos they sell in small tubs in supermarket in UK. One week eat 3x haha!

Tracy Low said...

焦糖我已经很喜欢了,加上布丁,哇!赞!

Esther Lau said...

Sonia, long time I didn't eat this dessert, start to miss it after seeing your photos :)

Unknown said...

这一定很好吃,可惜我家的几个大爷们都不懂得欣赏布丁,所以你一定要请我吃,嘻嘻嘻~

Kimmy said...

Sonia, my favourite but never tried any recipe. I used the instant caramel custard mix from Amway...hehehe! I try your recipe in future.

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , I love this dessert , we call it leche flan back home :D If you want to make it again next time , try adding some lime zest . Of course , I haven't tried making it myself yet lol

Joceline Lor said...

美味的布丁,看了好喜欢也。赞品!

Anonymous said...

what a nice and smooth custard, mine usually made a lil valley in the middle,
Great job Sonia!

Sokehah cheah said...

Just look delicious, Sonia!

Sokehah cheah said...

Just look delicious, Sonia!

Unknown said...

This is one of my favourite desserts! Yours looks so beautifully done.

lena said...

you know, i've never made this custard before..also this kind of caramel custard also quite famous in coffeeshops here.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,
Tried your custard yesterday. However, the 1 i made lots of air bubble hole. Why?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

anonymous (may I know your name please), remember to skim off the froth and do not allow water in the dish to boil..

Alice said...

Sonia, this is one of my favourite dessert but to date haven't tried to make either
thks for sharing :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin