If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, November 22, 2013

Xia Long Bao / Soup Dumplings 小笼包

The other day I watched a TV food show talked about the famous Taiwan Ding Tai Fung soup dumpling or Xia Long Bao, interesting to know that one dumpling's weight must be exact 21g (skin 5g and filling 16g), and requires 18pleats, because it is supposed to look like a chrysanthemum flower.  So I took this challenge and try to make this dumplings at home and followed to Ding Tai Fung standard, but it was a failed attempted. I can't achieved the 18 pleats (got about 12-13pleats) and no soup from the dumplings. Then I checked with my friend Jane (she also made this dumplings before), she told me that I have to add the stock jelly then only can have soup. I tried to googled for a recipe that closer to Ding Tai Fung, luckily I manage to found one.

This is how you suppose to do when enjoying soup dumlings, drink the yummy soup first ...
xlb18 copy

xlb19 copy


xlb20 copy

 
It was quite tedious to make soup dumplings, you need at least 2 days.
First day you have to prepare the stock jelly which using a lot of chicken feet as it will cause the soup to be gelatinous in texture when frozen.

xlb31.jpg
it was amazed to see this stock turned into jelly the next day
 
 
 
and prepare overnight sponge dough 老面

xlb30.jpg

 
Day 2 - you can start to make soup dumplings.
First prepare the filling.. you have to chop the frozen stock jelly stock till very fine..

xlb32.jpg
 
 
Then prepare the dumpling skin, by adding overnight sponge dough and little alkaline. And this dough really elastic and easy to wrap if compare to the first time which i didn't use these two ingredients..

xlb34.jpg

 
Rolling and wrapping..
You know the dough only 5g, it was so tinny..so you have to make sure the filling texture is firm so it is easy to wrap ..Total weight per dumpling is 21g..

xlb35.jpg


I also record a video to show you how I wrapped with 18 pleats, my son helped me to upload this video into his account since I don't have any account.



 
before steam

 
I am glad that my Xia Long Bao is quite close to Ding Tai Fung , thin skin and juicy filling 皮薄馅厚..

xlb23 copy

Lets check the long recipe...

Xia Long Bao / Soup Dumplings小笼汤包
*makes ~ 75 pcs

Day 1

To prepare frozen superior stock jelly 鸡汁冻

xlb22 copy
1 old chicken

700g chicken feet

3 slices ginger

3.5lt water
 

Method

  1. Simmer all ingredients for 4 hours over low heat.
  2. Discard all ingredients and retain only superior stock, pour stock into a container and let it cool in room temperature. Once cooled, refrigerate it overnight. The inclusion of the chicken feet will cause the soup to be gelatinous in texture when frozen.
  3. Remove the top layer of fat before use the frozen superior stock jelly.


To prepare overnight sponge dough / polish 老面

250g high protein flour

165g water

1/8tsp instant yeast

 Method

  1. Mix the ingredients together in a container, don’t need to knead.
  2. Set aside, covered, to proof for 2-3hrs or until bubbly.
  3. Flatten the dough, cover with cling film and close with lid, refrigerate overnight.


Day 2


To prepare the filling 肉馅

 900g minced pork (with some fat)

3 spring onions, chopped finely

1 and 1/2tbsp light soy sauce

3/4tsp dark soy sauce

2 and 1/4tsp salt

3tsp caster sugar

1 and 1/2tsp sesame oil

3tsp Chinese rice wine

White pepper powder

250g frozen superior stock jelly, chopped finely

 Method

  1. In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cling wrap and store in the refrigerator until needed ( this is to let the filling to firm it up so easy when wrapping later)


To prepare dumpling skin 面皮

250g plain flour

130g water

30g overnight sponge dough, tear into small pieces

1/8tsp alkaline

Method

  1. Mix all ingredients and knead into a smooth dough.
  2. Cover the dough with a warm towel and leave to rest for 30mins.
 

To assemble 制作

 
  1. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a thin sausage shape, and cut into pieces for 5g each.
  2. Using a mini rolling pin, roll out each piece into a flat circle (~2.5”)
  3. Fill each dough circle with 16g filling, seal the edges with 18 pleats. You may refer to the video on how to wrap the dumplings.
  4. Place dumplings on bamboo steamer that lined with cabbage leaves. Steam for 5mins. Serve hot with shredded ginger and black vinegar (镇江醋)


Source: made reference to here, 冷藏老面refer to CCM , by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

43 comments:

soo sean said...

Salute! I have bookmarked xiao long pao recipe for long but dun have the courage to try it. :)

Cat Chee said...

哗~我的最爱!!Yummy..

Cynthia Foo PH said...

I am in awe! So yummy and juicy, simply yummy 'xiao long pao'

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

五体投地!
我敬爱的师傅,你太棒了!!!!!

Victoria Bakes said...

I am utterly speechless... Something that takes a few people to complete in a restaurant, u did it single handedly....never mind it takes two days.... And best, 皮薄馅厚。。。u r the ultimate chef

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

18 pleats is not easy task!! somemore the skin is only 5g! Sonia, you have done it amazingly! thumbs up for the chef!

Mel said...

I think no recipe can stop you from trying even how hard or difficult the steps could be. Sonia The Amazing Cook! Oh, I once watched a cook show too, and the stock put into the ice cube too and easily taken out and place into the dumpling and have the soup once it steamed.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I loves this, but it never come into my mind to do it...

Wordsmith said...

Wowowowow salute !!!

0620 said...

很厉害哦!!!!!!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

恭喜你
你将是2014年度米其林星星的得主哟:)

孤Owl的王子- Nick Goh said...

很厉害哦!!!连小笼包都会做,棒!!

LEY said...

a big big applause

Esther Lau said...

Oh, there is lots of hard work behind a perfect 小笼包!Good job Sifu!!! :)

Rose world said...

Wow. Didnt know it is that tedious to make the dumplings.

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , you are awesome lol I have s recipe here from one of the free dailies here but I'm not so sure if the recipe works so I'll bookmark yours , okay ?! Hopefully , I can make these tasty morsels before the year is out :D

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

The pleating is so beautiful. It's amazing to see how stretchy the skin could be when watching the clip that you shared. The way you did it is exactly like what I saw in some dumpling restaurants. I always love to spend my time watching the dumpling ladies to pleat the dumpling but I can't do it at all, haha. Needs lots of practice.

You made such a great effort to make these XLB! My children favourite. Each of them can eat 6.

If I refrigerate my soup that uses the fish maw bought by my mother-in-law from HK, it is the similar kind of jelly that will be formed on the next day.

Cuisine Paradise said...

Omg! I am speechless too!!!! You are truly amazing!!!!

ann low said...

Thumbs for it! Only you can do it :D

Unknown said...

Wow it looks so complex and you made such an effort to get it done and its so beautiful!

Unknown said...

It is not an easy task but you did it! You are a great cook!

Angie's Recipes said...

A lot work, but definitely worth it.

Christine Choy said...

Really 'tabik you! An super tedious dish and yet you did it so well!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

这个我只会吃,不会做,哈哈。。

Anonymous said...

Sonia

I really admire you. You are just super good. Should open a restaurant.

Have a nice day


Yen

Sissi said...

They look so much better than in any restaurant I have ever been to. You are so brave! Congratulations.

Veronica said...

Sonia your xiao long bao is just spot on. They look exactly like those served in the restaurants! Well done.

Tracy Low said...

这个真的我也是会吃而已,
至于做,哈哈哈,还是无法完成。。。。

Baby Sumo said...

Sonia, you are really amazing! When I saw this on your IG I thought u ate it at DTF.. looks like the real deal. I like to watch the sifu make it thru DTF wall, maybe one day when I feel brave enough I can attempt this haha!

Li Shuan said...

我和cass 一样,只会吃不会做,有试过但是做到不好,好多工啊!
你真的很pandai 咯! 佩服 佩服

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day Sonia! Looks fabulous and mouth watering photos, true!
Wish I could come through the screen and try some now too!
Cheers! Joanne

Anonymous said...

Wow, i just bow doun and you Sonia...
you're such a talented cook, salute!
i've try making this soup dumpling and all failed beacause the liquid is is dripped of from the teared dumoling skin...
i think i'm gonna use your reciape ASAP....

PH said...

Sonia, rajin leh! I used to eat this dumpling at Dragon-i. First time I ate it, dunno got soup inside. One bite and the soup all bocor and make a mess!

Unknown said...

alkaline。。。。。alkaline can anyone tell me whats that...i cant get it!!!~~~~

Sem said...

First look at the picture, I thought you are shooting the dumpling photo from the restaurant.It not only look authentic but must have tasted very yummy. Really admire your culinary skill.

lena said...

wow, i can already imagine all the work that must go thru to get this done..phew! there was long time ago when i attended a class to make xiao lung bao where they use chicken stock and some agar2 powder to make the jelly, instead of chicken feet.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy, never seen such a fantastic preparation

Alice said...

I really salute u Sonia
for me, I rather go din tai fung straight LOL
yours looks indeed similar!

apodistagon said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Who would have thought so much work goes into a humble xiu loong pau. The skin, the filling and of coz the stock.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, a big big tq for sharing this recipe. The dough is fantastic! This time I'm able to retain the soup in the dumpling :) btw besides making xlb what can I do with the overnight sponge dough.

Crystal

Jess said...

Hi Sonia, can I use lesser amount of flour and water for the overnight sponge since only 30g is needed for the dumpling skin?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Jess, yes you can, maybe make it half portion only..

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,

How does this dough compare to a normal dough made with just all purpose flour and water?

How different is the taste and texture?

Thanks!
Eva

Blog Widget by LinkWithin