This is how you suppose to do when enjoying soup dumlings, drink the yummy soup first ...
It was quite tedious to make soup dumplings, you need at least 2 days.
First day you have to prepare the stock jelly which using a lot of chicken feet as it will cause the soup to be gelatinous in texture when frozen.
it was amazed to see this stock turned into jelly the next day
and prepare overnight sponge dough 老面
Day 2 - you can start to make soup dumplings.
First prepare the filling.. you have to chop the frozen stock jelly stock till very fine..
Then prepare the dumpling skin, by adding overnight sponge dough and little alkaline. And this dough really elastic and easy to wrap if compare to the first time which i didn't use these two ingredients..
Rolling and wrapping..
You know the dough only 5g, it was so tinny..so you have to make sure the filling texture is firm so it is easy to wrap ..Total weight per dumpling is 21g..
I also record a video to show you how I wrapped with 18 pleats, my son helped me to upload this video into his account since I don't have any account.
I am glad that my Xia Long Bao is quite close to Ding Tai Fung , thin skin and juicy filling 皮薄馅厚..
Lets check the long recipe...
Xia Long Bao / Soup Dumplings小笼汤包*makes ~ 75 pcs
To prepare frozen superior stock jelly 鸡汁冻
1 old chicken
700g chicken feet
3 slices ginger
- Simmer all ingredients for 4 hours over low heat.
- Discard all ingredients and retain only superior stock, pour stock into a container and let it cool in room temperature. Once cooled, refrigerate it overnight. The inclusion of the chicken feet will cause the soup to be gelatinous in texture when frozen.
- Remove the top layer of fat before use the frozen superior stock jelly.
To prepare overnight sponge dough / polish 老面
250g high protein flour
1/8tsp instant yeast
- Mix the ingredients together in a container, don’t need to knead.
- Set aside, covered, to proof for 2-3hrs or until bubbly.
- Flatten the dough, cover with cling film and close with lid, refrigerate overnight.
To prepare the filling 肉馅
900g minced pork (with some fat)
3 spring onions, chopped finely
1 and 1/2tbsp light soy sauce
3/4tsp dark soy sauce
2 and 1/4tsp salt
3tsp caster sugar
1 and 1/2tsp sesame oil
3tsp Chinese rice wine
White pepper powder
250g frozen superior stock jelly, chopped finely
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cling wrap and store in the refrigerator until needed ( this is to let the filling to firm it up so easy when wrapping later)
To prepare dumpling skin 面皮
250g plain flour
30g overnight sponge dough, tear into small pieces
- Mix all ingredients and knead into a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with a warm towel and leave to rest for 30mins.
To assemble 制作
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a thin sausage shape, and cut into pieces for 5g each.
- Using a mini rolling pin, roll out each piece into a flat circle (~2.5”)
- Fill each dough circle with 16g filling, seal the edges with 18 pleats. You may refer to the video on how to wrap the dumplings.
- Place dumplings on bamboo steamer that lined with cabbage leaves. Steam for 5mins. Serve hot with shredded ginger and black vinegar (镇江醋)