Here are the simple steps of this Tea smoked Fish
Since this was my first time cooked with smoked method. So i can't really tell you the exact timing when the smoked fish is done. I was kept opening the lid to check the doneness. In actual fact, we should not open the lid while cooking as not to let smoke escaped.
Nevertheless, these tea smoked fish still tasted great with quite evidence of tea smoked aroma. Next I want to try with tea smoked duck breast which I wanted to try long time ago too.
Chinese Tea Smoked Fish 烟熏鱼
1 Black pomfret, ~430g3/4tsp saltFew spring onions, halved
For tea smoked2tbsp coarse sugar2tbsp tea leaves ( I use Long jian tea leaves 龙井茶叶or your preference of tea leaves)aluminium foil
- Slant cut the fish into few slices.
- Pat dry the fish with kitchen paper, then sprinkle salt on both sides.
- Arrange spring onions on a baking tray, arrange fish slices top.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 180C for 15mins.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a steaming tray.
- Cover the bottom of a wok with aluminium foil (prefer two layers ) and spread the tea leaves and sugar over.
- Place the steaming tray and cover the wok, heat up the wok over medium heat.
- It will take few minutes to create the smoke. Smoke for a further few minutes then turn off the heat and allow the fish to sit for a further couple of minutes.
- Brush some cooked oil on the fish, arrange fish slices on serving plate, enjoy!Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover