My family learnt how to enjoy dried figs from a hiking member. He gave us some dates, dried figs and nuts in order to build up our stamina while hiking. We enjoyed taking those nuts especially the figs which has gummy texture and kids enjoyed the sweetness.
So, I try to create a recipe using dried figs to make some Chinese New Year cookies since my family appreciate the figs. I also added in some pumpkin seeds to make these cookies into nutritious cookies.
Dried figs - Help Lower High Blood Pressure, A Sweet Way to Lose Weight, Fruit and Cereal Fiber Protective against Postmenopausal Breast Cancer and etc, read more here.
Pumpkin seeds - Antioxidant Support, Mineral Support and etc, read more here
The process of making this cookie was easy and quick
I am glad that these cookies turned out to be crunchy and buttery, also gave some bite texture from the pumpkin seeds and gummy texture from the dried figs.
Fig and Pumpkin seed cookies 无花果南瓜子饼干*makes 30pcs
80g butter, room temp40g icing sugar1 egg yolk (large)125g cake flour1/2tsp baking powder1/8tsp baking soda40g dried fig, chopped20g pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and baking soda together, set aside.
- Cream butter and icing sugar till light.
- Add in egg yolk, mix well.
- Add in flour, combine well. Then add in chopped fried fig and pumpkin seeds, mix well to a soft dough.
- To weight the dough into 10g each, lightly roll into ball shape, place on a lined baking tray.
- Use a meat pounder / spoon /fork to lightly press on each of the cookie dough.
- Bake at a pre-heated oven at 170C for 15-20mins.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover
I'm joining Best Recipes for Everyone Jan & Feb 2015 Event Theme: My Homemade Cookies by Fion of XuanHom's Mom and co-host by Victoria Baking Into The Ether 。
And this post also linked to "My Treasured Recipes #5 - Chinese New Year Goodies (Jan/Feb 2015)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders .