When I saw this recipe in an old newspaper (I have a habit to collect nice recipes published in newspaper ), I know I have to make it . This recipe requires to use egg white, perfect for me where I have few containers of egg white still sitting in the fridge. This cookies similar like macaron which use meringue and almond, but the texture is very light and crispy, also less sweet than macaron as lemon is added, and the topping of almond flakes also gave extra aroma to this cookie.
This cookie remind me of the ice cream cookies (kids especially love this) that I made earlier. I love this cookie more as it has nice almond aroma, less sweet and tasted lemony. Something like crunchy macaron !!
The steps similar like baking macaron but not tricky as like making macaron
I noticed the cookie size will reduce quite a lot while baking, so I suggest you pipe it slightly bigger . Also take note the tips on how to store these cookies at below recipe.
If you have plenty of leftover egg white like me, why not give this recipe a try?
I'm joining Best Recipes for Everyone Jan & Feb 2015 Event Theme: My Homemade Cookies by Fion of XuanHom's Mom and co-host by Victoria Baking Into The Ether 。Lemon Almond Meringue Cookies 杏仁柠檬蛋白霜脆饼*makes 100pcs
88g aged egg white (2 eggs), remove from the fridge, returned to room temperature40g almond meal or flour1tbsp corn flour50g caster sugar1/2tsp lemon juices1tsp lemon zest
1/2cup almond flakes
- Bake almond meal in a pre-heated oven at 120C for 10mins, set aside to cool.
- Mix roasted almond meal with corn flour, sifted together.
- Add egg white with lemon juices, beat over high speed till foamy.
- Gradually add in sugar and beat till stiff peaks (take about 4- 5mins).
- Add lemon zest and almond meal, use a silicone spatula, slowly and gently mix well with meringues, do not over mix.
- Fill meringues in a piping bag, pipe meringues on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle few almond flakes on top. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 120C (fan forced) for 60mins, prefer one tray at a time.
- Remove pan from oven, not more than 1min (don’t wait too long otherwise it will become sticky), quickly peel off the cookies and immediately put into an air-tight container and close tightly (use Milo tin or milk tin is the best storage container).Reference-recipe published in a newspaper, Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover
And this post also linked to "My Treasured Recipes #5 - Chinese New Year Goodies (Jan/Feb 2015)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders .
i am also linking this to Cook & Celebrate: CNY organised by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids, Yen from Eat Your Heart Out and Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe