I am sure a lot of egg white left after you made CNY cookies like example pineapple tarts..Save the egg white and aged for at least one day, and you can made this ice cream cookies (or meringue cookies). You can easily seeing peoples selling this ice cream cookies in the morning or night market, and the price is quite expensive. Why not try to make yourself ?
Last time, i made Mocha flavour but this time i add strawberry powder that i won from a giveaway that organized by Penang bloggers.
Kids especially love this cookies!
When i tried to followed my old recipe, don't know why it was not working this time ..After consulted to the bakery shop owner, she said my oven temperature is too low ( last time i baked at 70C using my old microwave convention oven) . She said in any baking, the temperature at least must have 100C..So she suggested me to bake at 120C..and this time it work ! Also i noticed that using aged egg white (cover container with cling film and store in the fridge) has more stable meringue than use fresh egg white...
Ice Cream Cookies (Meringue cookies)
(recipe source: modified from old recipe, by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
*makes 100++, depend the size of the tips used
88g egg white (aged)
55g icing sugar
1/4tsp cream of Tartar
1/2tbsp corn starch
For strawberry flavor- add 1tsp strawberry flavor powder
For Mocha flavor- add 1tsp cocoa powder and 1/2tsp coffee powder
1. Add in tartar into egg white, beat egg white over high speed for 1min till foamy.
2. Gradually add in icing sugar and beat till soft peaks.
3. Add in corn flour and continue beat till stiff peaks (total beating takes about 5mins)
4. Gently fold in flavor powder into meringue using a spatula, combine well.
5. Pipe the egg white mixture (meringue) on the baking tray that line with non-stick baking paper.
6. Bake at pre-heated oven at 120C (fan forced) for 60mins until dry and crispy (every oven is difference, please adjust accordingly).
7. Remove pan from oven, not more than 1min (don’t wait too long otherwise it will become sticky), quickly peel off the cookies and immediately put into an air-tight container and close tightly (use Milo tin or milk tin is the best storage container).
Tips use – Wilton 1M, French tip # 864
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover