When May invited me to make Siu Mai together for BREE event, immediately i think of to make apple flavour from the earlier five elements Siu Mai . As apple flavour Siew Mai was the most yummy Siu Mai among the five type of Siu Mai.
Apple is a nice substitute of the usual water chestnut for the Siu Mai's filling. Its give mild sweetness to the filling, nice!
I have to make the skin from scratch before i could not find pink skin in the market ..
Apple Siu Mai 苹果烧卖Dough150g plain flour10g tapioca flour80g water1/2tsp red yeast powder
Filling280g minced pork or chicken50g prawn, slightly chopped50g red apple, chopped small pieces1tsp light soy sauce1/2tsp sesame oil3/4tsp salt1tsp sugar1/2tsp rice wine1tsp tapioca flour or corn flourA dash of white pepperMethod
- To prepare the dough. Mix all dough ingredients in a mixing bowl, knead till smooth dough. Set aside to rest for 1hr.
- To prepare the filling. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl, use chopstick to stir till a sticky paste.
- To make the Siew Mai skin, dust flour on the work top, use a rolling pin, roll the dough into thin sheet, use a 1/3 cup size to press and cut out the round disc.
- Spoon meat filling on the centre of the skin, place the skin in between your thumbs and fingers to form a circle and leaving the top open, wet your finger and smooth the top. Then sprinkle some chopped apple on top.
- Steam Siu Mai over high heat for 15mins and serve hot or warm.
Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover
This post is linked to the Best Recipes for Everyone August 2015 Event (Theme: Dim Sum) organised by Fion （XuanHom's Mum Kitchen Diary) and hosted by May (厨苑食谱）