If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Monday, May 14, 2012

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)




Have you seen so colourful Siew Mai before? My new invention of Siew Mai based on Chinese Wu Xing colours (五行色).
A very Feng Shui related Siew Mai..




Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)

I have this crazy idea to making this Wu Xing Siew Mai earlier, and today i made into action.
Below informations are from baidu and the 5 colours means:-

一、五行色(金):白 (Metal) White

“君子佩玉”——自古以来中华民族以佩玉为道德与修养的标志,“羊脂玉”更是玉中极品。玉又是中国传统文化中吉祥如意的象征。白色有起着重要的协调作用。

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)


二、五行色 (木): 绿 (Wood) Green

郁郁葱葱的树木是自然的风采,是生命与环境的象征。寄寓着人类与自然和谐发展。

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)


三、五行色(水):灰 (Water) Grey

蜿蜒起伏的万里长城和掩映在绿树丛中的四合院民居的灰色,灰色具有朴素魅力。

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)


四、五行色(火):红 (Fire) Red

红色的宫墙,红色的灯笼,红色的婚礼,红色的春联。红色是激情和运动的颜色;红色是喜庆与祥和的颜色;红色是民俗与文化的颜色。

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)


五、五行色(土):黄 (Earth) Yellow

黄色的琉璃瓦,金秋的树叶和丰收的农田,是最亮丽的色彩。黄色代表着独特的自然景观及人文与历史的精彩和辉煌。黄色在中国的色彩文化中具有崇高的象征意义。给人明亮与欢快的感觉。

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)

Here are the dough with 5 difference of colours..

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)

These are the toppings..

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)

Siew Mai before put the toppings..

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)

We love this new flavour of Siew Mai- Apple and Lotus root...

IMG_1996

And this Shan Yao and Grey wrapper made by charcoal powder (can't taste the charcoal taste actually ), indeed a very healthy combo...

IMG_2043

Also i combine 5 colours together..so colourful..

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)



Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

Wrappers
Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖) Plain flour and water & colouring ratio – 1 : 0.5
White- plain flour
Red- Red yeast and a drop of red food colouring
Green- spinach juices
Yellow – pumpkin puree
Grey – black charcoal powder

Siew Mai Filling
300g minced meat (pork or chicken)
150g prawns, cut into small pieces (add1/2tsp baking soda and marinate for 15mins, wash it before use, this is to make it crunchy)
100g water chestnut, chopped
1tbsp sugar
1tsp light soy sauce
1tsp sesame oil
1tsp rice wine
1tsp chicken stock powder
1tsp salt or to taste
1tsp grated Ginger
2tbsp potato flour

Method
1. Mix all ingredients and seasonings in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly by a pair of chopstick until it becomes a sticky mass (hei kau).
3. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.

Toppings
Chinese Mountain Yam (山药 Shan Yao, or 淮山 Huai Shan)
Carrot
Sweet Pea
Lotus root
Apple
Sweet corns
Chinese coriander

To make Siew Mai

Method
1. Place a siew mai wrapper on your palm.
2. Place a table-spoon of filling in the centre and press down with the back of a wet teaspoon.
3. At the same time, close your hand as if making a fist, cupping the siew mai.
4. Give it a gentle squeeze. Top with toppings as desired. Refrigerated before use and also to set it firm.
5. Arrange siew mai in a single layer on a tray.
6. Steam over boiling water for 7-10mins. Serve hot.

Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.



Maybe in future you can see this 五行色烧卖 selling in the dim sum restaurant ^_^



67 comments:

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

am I the first one today? :) This siew mei is indeed lovely!! some many colours! can I try some :D

phong hong said...

Wow! These are very pretty siew mai. I bet they are as delicious as they look.

shaz said...

Wow Sonia! You're a genius. These are really lovely!

ping said...

These must be the most beautiful siew mais I've ever seen! You put the classiest restaurants to shame, Sonia. And to think we pay an arm and a leg to get the ugly looking things sometimes. You really should go and teach them a thing or two about presentation.

eileenlml.blogspot.com said...

wow sonia, fantastic job, u are now like a dim sum sifu, so creative!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

wow...very nice :)

Jocelyn said...

So pretty! Looks better than the siew mai in a lot of dim sum places!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

看颜色都爽:)

Kimmy said...

Sonia, how creative. Great ideas. Definitely tempted to try.

Simple Person said...

Ur fingers really make wonders....
How could Siew Mai b so nice n colorful....
Wow....

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Gorgeous siew Mai! Wow, I really applaud you for such beautiful work Sonia. Love the colors! If sell in restaurant, I think will have to charge more, it's pleasure to the eyes beside the taste as well!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Sonia:
It's indeed a very crazy idea but in a good way! You must have spent a good few hours in the kitchen & came out with these colourful "siew mai!" I would like to try all these siew mai now & I'm pretty sure they are very "laku"! Hey, your chinese is very good huh!A very creative dish!

Min said...

Wah, they are nice! Each of them really got different meanings ho. I would love to try making siu mai too :)

Joceline said...

Wah sei..... see and pengsan! :) :)
This is prefect job!

Michelle Chow LF said...

wow, u are such a genius. Love ur 五行烧卖....

Karen said...

Wow Sonia... you are really creative lei, should give you double thumbs up.. :)

Unknown said...

If they are selling this siu Mai...I'm sure u just sit bec at home counting how much money you earn from...haha. The siu maim indeed tastemgood and colorful.

FiSh said...

your siew mai are so cute! :) can bring in lucrative business if you want

Latest: Spiciest Thai Food

Li Shuan said...

Thumbs up! You must have spend a lot of time working in ur kitchen. Each colour siew mai still have their own meaning. 佩服! I also like the apple n lotus one. Very special.

Cheah said...

Wow, what a delightful presentation. Hats off to you, Sonia!

Unknown said...

你真的很厉害,就连烧卖也弄得这么吸引。

ann low said...

WOW! So colourful and very nice presentation.
Do you want to conduct classes? I want to join :)

Peggy Lim said...

Wow! Rainbow color Siew Mai.....looks great:))

ICook4Fun said...

This is the most colourful siew mai I ever seen. If you open a dim sum place I will for sure 'pong chan' you when I go back home :)

Julie said...

Colorful treat,looks delish!!

Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
in the following ongoing events-
Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

My Little Space said...

Whoa so colourful ! Looks even more tempting this way. Slurppp..... Showing me this in the morning just making me hungry. :o)
Have a great week ahead.
Kristy

Mel said...

What a colourful siew mai you have made! And what a great invention too. It must have taken you alot of your time doing it but I am sure you must be proud of this colourful siew mai.

QembarDelites said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning creations! Too beautiful to eat lol! Ya if u conduct lessons, I too want to join:D

Yummy Bakes said...

Wow so colorful siew mai - very appetising.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

First time see so colourful siew mai...

Sally said...

佩服你的耐心与用心,很漂亮!。。。

Sherleen.T said...

learned some knowledge while eating your siew mai...hehehe
i love the colors combination of each siew mai...you are really creative, Sonia...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Colorful and pretty. A lot of works, you have the heart. :)

蚊子 said...

I love te colour match of siew mai~

tigerfish said...

Really creative and interesting to have Wuxing/FengShui Siew Mai! :P

elaine chan said...

Wow, this is awesome-looking Siew mai! You are so innovative!

Elisabeth said...

Absolutely Gorgeous...a work of art, and a Labor of Love! Superb, and delicious:DDD

Ana Regalado said...

Simply gorgeous ! :D So , when can we enroll re your siu mai classes ?! hahahaha

eileen@hundred eighty degrees said...

Two thumbs up!!! They are so lovely!

Small Kucing said...

aiyo...they are so nice....

tracieMoo said...

oh my gosh they look shooo cute!

petite nyonya said...

sonia, you're such a pro!! just beautiful!

Small Small Baker said...

You make siew mai so amazingly colourful! I hope I won't see them appearing in other restaurants. If it really appears, I hope it's your restaurant! :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

How come we have never seen this until now! Amazing!!!!!! I love every color and I must eat one color each. Great recipe Sonia!!! Loved this!

Elin said...

Sonia...they are so lovely and the colors are so sweet...love it! I am now drooling la what else :) Well done!

Noob Cook said...

wow these are definitely the cutest and most colourful siew mai I have seen :)

Sissi said...

What an extraordinary idea to make colourful siew mai! (Making your own siew mai dough is already impressive enough!).

Shu Han said...

Sure mai is one of my favourite dim sums. My siaand I would fight over it as kids. If we had seen such colourful cute ones, I think we would have fought even more ;) I esp love that your colours come almost fully from natural food, so much healthier for the body!

Shuhan

daphne said...

so pretty!! And i didn't know all the significance of the colours. U have patience to mix it up!

yvonne said...

Gosh~ first time seeing colourful dimsum! Too pretty for consumption.

Yannie said...

Colourful and healthy siew mai. Too beautiful la!

WendyinKK said...

I like the rainbow ones... all in 1, nice!
My hubby likes siew mai, but dunno why I don't like it much. It's a must order for him each time we go for dimsum and he has to eat them all.

Little blue said...

Aiyo~my dear friend...you so hard working, made different skin...look nice!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I’m in love with your photos!! I love siew mai.

mui mui said...

Sonia,
Your siew mai are so lovely, would like to try them all..:)
By the way, 五行is a interesting topic. Do you know which one you belong to?? Check it out, from your 生肖+the year you are born..
Eg.. Born in year 1971 and 生肖is pig, then this person is Metal. Another eg.. born in 2005 and 生肖is chicken, then this person is Wood. Then you will know what feng sui is good for this person..haha this is just a tips..:D

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Fun and colourful :).

Quay Po Cooks said...

I see many pretty little things. Wish I am there to taste your siew mai:D

My Asian Kitchen said...

wow!! love your vibrate colorful and meaningful shumai!!you're so hard working make the wrapper yourself!!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Jaws drop!!! This is so amazing! Love each colours and I bet it taste as good as it look!!! Thumb up!

Rice Bowl Tales 有碗話碗 said...

Such beautiful and delicious looking work of art, and so informative too!! Thank you for all your effort, and hope one day we really will be able to order them at our local Chinese Restaurant :)

lena said...

wow..i'm so so impressed at your siew mai!! i think you even beat those prof chefs at high end restaurants! ichiban!

chow and chatter said...

these look amazing so so pretty adore dim sum

Lori said...

I have not seen these before! How pretty! I love all the colors.

choi yen said...

food + feng shui, another level of food consuming!

Angela said...

I love these! So pretty!

Mary said...

That filling sounds delicious! It is somewhat similar to a lumpia filling I've made in the past. This is such a beautiful presentation with all of the multi-colored wrappers, Sonia!

teo ai li said...

Hi Sonia, I made this today and it is really great!!! However, I realised that that there is still some flour on the skin in between the folds and bottom of the siew mai after steaming them for 10 mins. I bought the wanton skin from the wet market. How do I prevent this? Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin