Have you seen so colourful Siew Mai before? My new invention of Siew Mai based on Chinese Wu Xing colours (五行色).
A very Feng Shui related Siew Mai..
I have this crazy idea to making this Wu Xing Siew Mai earlier, and today i made into action.
Below informations are from baidu and the 5 colours means:-
一、五行色（金）:白 (Metal) White
二、五行色 (木): 绿 (Wood) Green
三、五行色（水）:灰 (Water) Grey
四、五行色（火）：红 (Fire) Red
五、五行色（土）:黄 (Earth) Yellow
Here are the dough with 5 difference of colours..
These are the toppings..
Siew Mai before put the toppings..
We love this new flavour of Siew Mai- Apple and Lotus root...
And this Shan Yao and Grey wrapper made by charcoal powder (can't taste the charcoal taste actually ), indeed a very healthy combo...
Also i combine 5 colours together..so colourful..
Siew Mai (五行色 烧卖)
(recipe source: by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
Plain flour and water & colouring ratio – 1 : 0.5
White- plain flour
Red- Red yeast and a drop of red food colouring
Green- spinach juices
Yellow – pumpkin puree
Grey – black charcoal powder
Siew Mai Filling
300g minced meat (pork or chicken)
150g prawns, cut into small pieces (add1/2tsp baking soda and marinate for 15mins, wash it before use, this is to make it crunchy)
100g water chestnut, chopped
1tsp light soy sauce
1tsp sesame oil
1tsp rice wine
1tsp chicken stock powder
1tsp salt or to taste
1tsp grated Ginger
2tbsp potato flour
1. Mix all ingredients and seasonings in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly by a pair of chopstick until it becomes a sticky mass (hei kau).
3. Cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
Chinese Mountain Yam (山药 Shan Yao, or 淮山 Huai Shan)
To make Siew Mai
1. Place a siew mai wrapper on your palm.
2. Place a table-spoon of filling in the centre and press down with the back of a wet teaspoon.
3. At the same time, close your hand as if making a fist, cupping the siew mai.
4. Give it a gentle squeeze. Top with toppings as desired. Refrigerated before use and also to set it firm.
5. Arrange siew mai in a single layer on a tray.
6. Steam over boiling water for 7-10mins. Serve hot.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.
Maybe in future you can see this 五行色烧卖 selling in the dim sum restaurant ^_^