My kids love this sesame seed balls serve at the dim sum restaurant..I wanted to make this for a longer time. I always wonder how this sesame ball still maintain round and puff when it is cooled. I managed to find a useful Hong Kong video and immediate try it out..and very happy with the result..
I followed 100% to the instructions and ingredients in this video. The dough is easy to manage, just to make sure you pat water on your palm when you rolling the balls as the dough is easy to dry up quickly. I feel this recipe ask to add 3tsp baking powder is a bit over, next time i will try to replace with 1tsp double action powder...Actually we prefer lotus paste filling but i made red bean paste this time since i have leftover cooked red bean from red bean soup..
Ya, i also deep fry for 2 times since the sesame seed browned too quickly at the 1st time and it did not puff up and uncooked inside. So i returned to deep fry the 2nd times over low heat, then only it puff up and cooked.
Jian Dui煎堆(Deep fried glutinous rice balls / Sesame seed balls)
(recipe source: adapted from this Hong Kong video, with minor changes)
30g Tang Mien flour 澄面粉
1. Warm Tang Mien flour over a pot of simmering water.
2. Boil the water and pour and mix with flour, combine well.
3. Cover and set aside.
A pinch of salt
1. Add sugar and salt with water in a pot.
2. Boil water till sugar melted, set aside.
To make dough
150g glutinous rice flour 糯米粉, sifted
3tsp baking powder, sifted ( or replace with 1tsp double action baking powder)
1tbsp cooking oil
1. Add glutinous rice flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly add in the warm syrup (B), mix it.
3. Add cooking oil and Tang meng dough (A), and knead till smooth (count 75 times or about 90 seconds), cover and to rest for 10mins.
To deep fry
200g red bean paste or Lotus paste
1. Divide red bean paste into small round ball (10g each).
2. Divide dough into small round ball (15g each), cover with cloth from time to time.
3. Flatten the dough and wrap red bean ball into round ball. Repeat the rest until finished.(wet your palm from time to time as the dough will dry up quickly)
4. Spray water on the ball, roll it on the sesame seeds.
5. Deep fry over low heat till puff up and golden brown.