I am so happy now i can even prepare a crispy skin roasted duck at home, next time i also can use the same recipe to roasted a chicken too. My husband said this roasted duck tasted exactly like those roasted duck selling in the shop..
This was how i sun dry the duck, but i need to keep an eagle eyes on the duck because too many flies like this duck..Maybe next time i can try to dry in the fridge overnight (Latest update-Please refer to the comment from My Little Space, she said dry in the fridge will not work as to get crispy skin)..
The dried and hard skin is formed after 5hours of sun dry
I even use the wings, neck and legs (because not much meat to eat) to cook this Asam Chai Ber (braised sour roasted meat with mustard) ,one stone kills two birds!
Ya, i also cook oil rice (油饭) to enjoy with this yummy roasted duck.
Crispy Skin Roasted Duck
(recipe source : adapted from Vivian Pang Kitchen who adapted from My Little Space and My Kitchen Snippets. I made some changes on the seasonings)
1 whole duck (2kg)
3 cups water
2 tbsp maltose
1 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp fermented soybean paste
1/2 tsp Chinese 5 Spices powder
1 and 1/2tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
4 shallots, blend into paste
4 cloves garlic, blend into paste
1. Combine water, maltose & vinegar in a wok/a large pot and bring it to boil.
2. Pad the duck dry. Bath the duck with the boiling mixture for several times.
3. First sun dry the duck for 2 hours. Bath the duck for 2nd time, sun dry again for another 3hours or till a dried skin is formed.
4. Combine all the seasonings and garlic & shallot paste and mix well. Spread the seasoning around the inner part of the duck. Do not rub mixture over the outer skin.
5. Bake in pre-heated oven at 190C for about 45-60mins (adjust accordingly as every oven is difference) or until the skin is brown and crispy. Half way through, overturn the duck for even browning.
6. Chop into bite-size and serve with steamed white rice or fragrant oil rice or noodles. (Save the gravy, skim off the oil, you can use this gravy to dip with roasted duck meat and also can add some gravy to the Asam Chai Ber)