If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Friday, May 18, 2012

Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿



I have bookmarked this Chai Kueh recipe from Joceline for a longer time. I just tried to making this kueh on last week, and very happy with the result..The skin just has the right texture, soft and little chewy! Perfect Chai Kueh!


Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿



I was making my own filling as i like to add tofu in the filling. But i have to warn you as the dough is very sticky, no way you can roll without dusting a lot of tapioca flour. As the dough is sticky, was not able to roll the skin too thin, but don't worry, after steamed, the skin texture just perfect...

Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿

Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿

Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿

Sent some to my sister who just staying nearby...

Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿

Steam again the next morning, a perfect breakfast..

Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿



Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿
(recipe source: skin recipe adapted from Joceline Lor, filling recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)

For the filling
Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿 1 large jicama, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
1 firm tofu, pan fry till brown, shredded
20g dried shrimps, soaked in water, chopped
Some chopped coriander
1tsp salt or to taste
2tbsp light soy sauce or to taste
1tsp sugar or to taste
Pepper

Method
1. Heat oil in a wok, sauté dried shrimps till aroma.
2. Add in jicama, carrot and fried firm tofu, continue to cook for 15mins or till dry.
3. Add in seasonings and chopped coriander, mix well. Set aside to cool.

For the dumpling skin
100g Tang Mein four
200g tapioca flour
10g sugar
A pinch of salt
20g cooking oil
450g hot boiling water

Method
1. Mix two flours in a mixing bowl, stir to combine.
2. Add sugar, salt and cooking oil in the hot boiling water.
3. Pour hot water into the mixing bowl and quickly stir to combine to become dough. Set aside to cool.

banana leaves
fried garlic oil

To make steamed vegetables dumplings
1. Dust tabletop with a lot of tapioca flour (dough is very sticky), roll dough to form a thin circle.(using a round cutter or a small bowl to cut out thin circle as to standardize the size)
2. Wrap 1 tbsp of filling with each skin. Fold into semicircle and seal the opening by pressing the edges together.
3. Place each dumpling on a small sheet of banana leaf, place on a steaming tray, steam for 15mins.
4. Remove the steamed dumplings and brush the surface with some garlic oil. Serve hot.
Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.

Steamed vegetable dumplings (Chai Kueh) 菜粿




61 comments:

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

nice crystal clear chai kuih texture, can I eat some too :)

Unknown said...

Chai kuih is my family all time fav. Especially my hubby. I always made for them to eat. Actually wanted to make some to submit for this May Dim Sum Fair...but no time. My crystal skin recipe almost like yours but without sugar.

Mel said...

Used to buy this at the Nyonya Kuih Shop. Alot of work to prepare to make this, right? I'm really impressed that you have made so many types of kuih.

Yannie said...

I really love Chai Kueh, your chai kueh looks better than those sold outside.

ann low said...

WOW! Your Chai Kueh looks so pretty and delicious! Can't wait to try it!!

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Dinner time coming!!! hehe...

Cocoeriley said...

Wow, your chai kuih shape is pretty and attractive. Looks yummy too.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个我喜欢吃
吃多多都不够:)

PH said...

Wah, you so clever one. I have forgotten about chai kueh and yours looks really good. I will sure put lots of chilli sos and eat. I am too lazy to make this :)

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I love chai kuih. Can DHL some to me :)

Shu Han said...

is this the same as soon kueh? it looks and reminds me of it, and I absolutely love soon kueh!

shaz said...

I try not to sound exactly the same every time I post a comment here but ... wow sonia! you are a gem :)

MeRy said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Nadji said...

Des raviolis que j'aime beaucoup.
D'habitude, je les achète toujours aux crevettes. Je vais essayer de faire ta recette.
A bientôt.

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Very nice chai kueh! Love the skin, can see through! I was planning to make some too, even bought the jicama for this. For now, U treat me some first la, heehee!

Li Shuan said...

Very nice and translucent vegetable dumplings. I realized Joceline is the northside vegetable dumpling queen after I made mine. Of coz I can't miss out this recipe.

vrinda said...

Gr8 dumplings nice finish..

Jane Chew said...

pandai betul. Beautiful chai kuih. I noticed that the tang flour n tapioca flour portions are just terbalik with mine. Just wonder what will be the texture. Must give it a try.

Karen said...

Wow.. very nice chai kueh :) book marked this recipe first, must try out one day..

Joceline said...

Helo... sonia! :)
We will go to eileen home again on tomorrow night. I plan to do this chai kuih too. Ha ha ha....... :)

Angie hubby & kid like ' ku chai ' filling.

蚊子 said...

Your vegetable dumpling look so yummy! bring one back to my place and enjoy~ hehe

Sissi said...

Congratulations, they look perfect! I have made this kind of transparent dumplings several times, but as you say it's not easy and my dough was always too thick, but it was totally worth it! Thank you for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

oh my! That looks absolutely delicious Sonia! You always make me crave for food at home!!! mmmm.. I love this, so soft and chewy and yummy!

Angie's Recipes said...

These look way better than the one from the restaurants! Love jicama filling.

kitchen flavours said...

Looks so delicious! Love this kuih, one of my very favourite!

yvonne said...

My, my, your vegetable dumpling is so yummy and tempting!

I got to get this crave fix later, but those selling outside cannot compare to yours~

ping said...

I wish I was staying close by :)
I haven't made this for a while. I do have a recipe but I think I will try yours out. They look lovely!
Btw, what's Tang Mein flour?

Julie said...

Oh..the covering looks super thin & transparent,Lovely!!
Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
in the following ongoing events-
Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Ping, Tang Mein Flour, it is actually non-gluten flour, the flour that is left after the protein has been removed from wheat flour to make gluten. You can purchase this from bakery ingredient shops. Hope this help.

Little Inbox said...

This is my favorite! I like the little chewy skin.

Jeannie said...

These remind me of the last time I ate chai kuih which my mother made, it was so thick and hard, and yet we siblings had to say delicious in order not to offend her lol! I must try to make these for her, she'll be impressed:D

Angelic Heart~ said...

wao~ looks so yummy! you can open a shop to sell all these delicious kueh.

My Little Space said...

Well presentation, Sonia. Love the colour of the skin. So shinny & translucent. Thanks for sharing & enjoy your weekend.
Kristy

ogyep yummy mellow said...

I wish I could try this recipe one day.. We love dumplings in this home...

Kimmy said...

Another of your recipe that I must try. Love chai kuih but sometimes put off doing it cos' of the oil. How nice if you are nearby. I can finish many pieces in a time, haha.

ykristen said...

YUMMY.....wish i was your neighbour.
U surely can cook will attempt this recipe one day. Thanks

Pete said...

Good kung fu.....making such a nice chai kueh!

FiSh said...

nowadays i can rarely see chai kueh as good as yours, because normally their skin is really hard and full of msg. would love to munch on some now :)

Latest: Romantic Affair 2.0

WendyinKK said...

I like this with lots and lots of chilllllllliiiiiiii! Pedas!

lena said...

oh, so nice! earlier i saw honey bee also making these dumplings too but fried ones, i wld very much like to try making dumplings one day!

Elisabeth said...

Your steamed vegetable dumplings are absolutely amazing, healthy, and delicious. Such a beautiful presentation...even in a restaurant you could not get these beauties, so perfectly done!

Gloria Baker said...

I love these Sonia!!

Ana Regalado said...

I will pick up some of that later , okay ?! :D It really looks perfectly delicious ! Great job as always , Sonia !

Puan Ros @ Sinaranmenu.blogspot said...

Hi sonia, kak Ros just want to thank you for this recipe.Made it last weekend and it turn out really nice.Will sure make again.

Sook said...

I love any kind of dumplings.. These look so good!

Sook said...

I love any kind of dumplings.. These look so good!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I'm always impressed by your wide range of recipes Sonia!

Anonymous said...

So yummy Sonia! By the way can I ask what is the Tang Mein flour?? is it rice flour or glutinous flour????Thank you very much
Sophia

Small Kucing said...

Made this today. Thanks so much for the recipe. it's perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia,

Really want to try this recipe. Look sooo sedap. Can you pls share with me where you can buy Tang Mein flour. Have gone to many, many, Chinese shop they keep on looking at me weirdly and say I dont know. I stay in Kota damansara, Pls help. :-(

Sincerely - Adlin

Small Kucing said...

I bought from jaya grocer, adlin

Small Kucing said...

The ones at giza should hv. mine I bought fr jaya grocer empire shopping complex

Anonymous said...

Thank you small kucing, you are a live saver. Finally made this and OMG sedaplah. Keep cooking Sonia. My Hubby loves it too :D

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Adlin and Small Kuching, look like i dont need to answer here, hahahaha..Thanks for both of you shout out and glad your all love this recipe.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Sophia, Tang Mein flour is neither rice flour nor glutinous flour, totally difference things.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelsey Miller said...

pandai betul. Beautiful chai kuih. I noticed that the tang flour n tapioca flour portions are just terbalik with mine. Just wonder what will be the texture. Must give it a try.

Chasing Food Dreams said...

got your link from Suituapui & Small Kuching... gorgeous Chai Kueh... I love them a lot.. thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Piggies said...

Do i need to cover the rest of dumpling skin with damp cloth while doing the filings?
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonia, i love how transparent your chai kueh skin is, i tried making following your recipe and it turned out to be more like a batter than dough. Super runny. Sadly i ran out of tang mien flour to give it another go 😢 wonder what went wrong?

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

anonymous, yes, this dough is super sticky and runny, you have to dust with a lot of flour while shaping but it give nice transparent skin. Otherwise you can try another recipe in my blog which dough is easy to handle, but the skin not as good as this one.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin