This is one of my favourite dim sum, a must have item for me but not for my family (kids don't know how to chew the bone and hubby doesn't like preserved black beans). Usually i was the one who finished off the whole plate (luckily just a small plate ^__^)..and i prefer those with slightly sweet taste..This recipe that i tried out, the taste is exactly like that one served in dim sum restaurant..
I also like to arrange pumpkin slices underneath, taste so yummy after pumpkin absorbed all yummy gravy from the seasoned spare ribs.
This is a must have ingredient, preserved salted black bean
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #19: Dim Sum Affair (May 2012) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker.
Steamed spare ribs with preserved black beans
(recipe source: adapted from Flavours lifestyle food magazine with minor changes)
550g spare ribs
1 and 1/2tsp chicken stock powder
1tsp sesame oil
1tbsp chopped garlic
1 Chinese salted plum, crushed
3tbsp potato flour
1 red chili, julienned
Pumpkin, sliced (optional)
1tbsp preserved salted black beans, soak with water for 5mins
1. Cut the spare ribs into small and bite sized cubes. Soak with 1/2tsp baking soda with some water for 1/2hour, wash it and drain (this is to tenderizing the meat)
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl, toss ribs in the marinade.
3. Add in potato flour and toss to coat the ribs well.
4. Cover the bowl with cling film and set aside for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
5. Place pumpkin slices on a steaming plate, top with marinated spare ribs, preserved black beans and chili, steam over rapidly boiling water for 10mins. Serve hot.