My daughter requested one of her favourite cake -Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for her 18th Birthday.
Nowadays i prefer raw decoration of cake, so got excuses not to have a neat frosting , hahaha..
I also like to have fruits, herbs and flowers as topping. Too bad this time i couldn't get edible flowers, so i decorated with nice and fresh US black figs, blueberries and dill herb from my garden.
We always feel red velvet cake selling outside is too sweet for our liking, this time i tried to reduce sugar amount, but surprised that the cake texture still moist and light. And I also tried using egg separation method.
Anyway, i don't advise you to eating this cake too often, because the amount of red food colouring, added sound scary ,LOL.
After checked several online recipes, i modified to become this recipe.
Red Velvet Layered Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting 红丝绒蛋糕*for a 6 ½”round cakeFor the cake55g unsalted butter, room temp130g caster sugar60g corn oil or any other vegetable oil2 egg yolks (A size)1/4tsp vanilla extract1/2tsp distilled white vinegar1tsp red food colouring120ml buttermilk170g cake flour (I use Japanese cake flour)1/2tsp baking soda1/4tsp fine salt10g cocoa powder ( I use Valrhona cocoa powder)
2 egg white (A size)For the cream cheese frosting150g cream cheese, room temp40 butter, room temp60g icing sugar1tbsp lemon juices1 lemon zestMethod
- Sift cake flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder, set aside.
- Use a handheld electric mixer, beat butter and caster sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add in corn oil, beat till mix well. Add in egg yolk, beat till well combined.
- Add in vanilla extract, distilled white vinegar and red food colouring, mix it well.
- Mixer on low speed, add in dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk, incorporate well.
- In another clean mixing bowl, beat egg white till soft peak formed. Fold into batter with a silicone spatula.
- Pour into the prepare cake tin that lined paper on bottom. Bake at 170C for 50-55mins or until a skewer insert and came out clean. Set aside to cool down before frosting.
- To make cream cheese frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter till light and creamy.
- Add in icing sugar and mix well on low speed.
- Add in lemon juices and lemon zest, combine well.
- Slice the cake into 2 pieces, frost the whole cake with cream cheese frosting, and decorate as per desired.Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover