Lets see how to shape this mooncake !
When you do the cutting, make sure you finished 1/4 segment 16 cuts, then only cut another segment
Wow, total 64 cuts !
I used homemade red bean paste, so it is less sweet, no burden to enjoy more!
Hydrangea Egg Yolk Mooncake 绣球蛋黄酥*makes 6For the water dough63g plain flour25g unsalted butter8g caster sugar25g water
For the oil dough62g cake flour35g unsalted butterFor the filling120g red bean paste ( I use homemade)3 salted egg yolks, brush with rice wine, steam for 10mins, halvedEgg wash- 1 egg yolk+1/2tbsp milkMethod
- For water dough, mix plain flour, butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, rub till crumbs, add in water then combine well, do not over mix. Cover with cling film, rest for 20mins. Divide into 6 equal portions, shape to ball.
- For oil dough, rub cake flour with butter, slowly combine till soft dough. Cover with cling film, rest for 20mins. Divide into 6 equal portions, shape to ball.
- For the filling, divide red bean paste into 6 portions (20g each), then wrap red bean paste with half salted egg and shape to ball.
- Flatten water dough and wrap oil dough inside. Roll out into long oval shape and roll up like swiss roll. Repeat the same for the rest, keep aside to rest for 10mins.
- Take a swiss roll dough, place seam side up, roll into long oval shape and roll up like swiss roll. Repeat the same for the rest, keep aside to rest for 10mins.
- Take a swiss roll dough, place your thumb at the middle, then bring both ends to the centre, lightly shape into ball. Repeat the same for the rest.
- Place a piece of cling film on the chopping board or worktop, roll dough ball into a round disc (around 11-12cm diameter, this diameter is important as it should be able to cover the whole red bean ball ), make 4 cuts but remain about 3cm at the centre, then continue to cut, each ¼ segment should have 16 cuts, total 64 cuts.
- Slowly hold the cling film together with cut round disc, place a red bean ball at the centre, then wrap and seal the red bean ball, remain some strips to let it look like hydrangea flower. Please make sure secure it tightly to avoid it break while baking. Place on lined baking tray.
- Apply egg wash at the top, bake in pre-heated oven at 170C for 30mins.
- Cool well before cutting and storing.