I was thinking to learn from my mother of making this rice wine long time ago, finally i mange to record the recipe this time as this is a keeper for my future reference ( when my daughter or daughter-in-law deliver baby), hehehe..also some of you might want to learn.
Lets check below step-by-step on how to making this wine..
As i understand from the Chinese herbs shop owner, there are two types of wine biscuits 酒饼, one is spicy wine biscuits辣酒饼 ( doesn't mean it tasted spicy but it gave you stronger wine aroma and might have sour taste), another is sweet wine biscuits 甜酒饼 which gave you mild and sweet taste of wine. We prefer sweet taste of wine, so i use sweet wine biscuits.
I am pleased with the result , it tasted sweet and quite strong wine taste when i cook with chicken, yummy.. will share chicken rice wine in next post..
Homemade Yellow Glutinous Rice Wine 黄酒1kg glutinous rice 糯米, wash and rinse5 cups water水15pcs sweet wine biscuits 甜酒饼Method
- Soak glutinous rice with water in a steaming tray for an hour. Then steam the glutinous rice together with same soaking water over high heat for 30mins (stir the rice half way through), make sure the rice is fully cooked ( if rice not cooked through, you will get sour tasted like vinegar).
- Keep the cooked rice on a tray in a single layer to let it completely cool down. You will get sour taste of wine if rice not completely cool down, prefer to cool it overnight.
- Process the wine biscuits in a food processor till fine.
- Take a small ball of cooked rice, flatten it like a disc. Then coat with powdered wine biscuits. Arrange in a clean and sterilized glass jar or ceramic pot. Repeat the rest till finished.
- Cover the jar, and leave it in a cool place for fermentation.
- The next day, check the jar whether steam accumulated on the wall of jar. Use a clean and dry cloth, gently wipe the water off. Continue to do this way until no more steam generated.
- After 3 days, use a clean spoon, stir the rice. Then continue to let it fermentation for 45days-60days (the longer the better, I kept for 60days).
- Use a cheesecloth or muslin cloth (prefer in pouch form), scoop wine on the cloth then press the wine into a clean pot. Do this in small batch until finished. Otherwise you can put wine in a big cheesecloth bag, tie and hang it, let wine drip into a clean pot.
- Transfer wine into clean and sterilized glass bottle, let it sit in cool place, after few days, wine will be on top, thick white residue will be at the bottom.
- Now wine is ready to be used in cooking chicken rice wine, stir fried Kailan veggie with the thick white residue also yummy, and etc . Enjoy!Recipe by Sonia a.k.a Nasi Lemak Lover