How to remove shell from Ginkgo seeds-knock the nuts with a hammer or a nutcracker until there is a small crack, peel the shell and skin off.
Also use a toothpick to remove the tiny seed inside otherwise it will taste a little bit bitter. My daughter is good in removing this.
A bowl of yummy dessert!
Barley and beancurd dessert with Ginkgo白果腐竹薏米汤
(source: originated by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover)
100g Barley, washed and cleaned
100g Ginkgo nuts, remove shell and skin
1pc Beancurd sheet (a special type that suitable for this dessert, easy to turn soft) , wash and soak for 5mins, cut into small pieces
130g rock sugar or to taste
3pcs pandan leaves (screwpine leaves)
1. Add barley, screwpine leaves and water into a large pot and bring to boil. Once water is boiled, cover and change to low flame and continue to boil for 30mins.
2. Put in Ginkgo nuts, continue to boil for another 30mins.
3. Add rock sugar and adjust according to your taste.
4. Add in beancurd sheet at the end ( 5mins before this dessert is done) or beancurd is broken. If you are using the normal type of beancurd sheet, add in 30mins before this dessert is done.
5. Can be served hot or cold.
* I prefer the beancurd sheet not totally dissolved in the soup, some people prefer it totally dissolved.
Happy Cooking !!