Carrot cake is my all time favourite cake beside butter cake. After i tried the Quay Po Cook's carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, i totally fall in love with this cake, a perfect carrot cake recipe. Earlier i did not serve carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, after i tried with cream cheese, I know i will not miss to prepare cream cheese frosting whenever i bake a carrot cake next time, they are the best combo! Last weekend, i brought this cake to a "gang dinner" at a Korean BBQ restaurant and all my girl friends were very impressed with this cake.
I use my new slim and long baking pan to bake this carrot cake. All this while i did not add nutmeg powder but after i tried this recipe, I realized that adding nutmeg powder really make this carrot cake taste even aroma..So don't miss to add nutmeg powder if you wish to bake one.
I did not apply the cream cheese frosting before i bring to the dinner as i afraid it will mess up the packing. I only apply cream cheese frosting before serving.
I have changed the recipe from cups to gram as i prefer use gram to measure.
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
Recipe source: carrot cake adapted from Quay Po Cooks, with changes to the cream cheese frosting. Makes a 2"x2"x9" pan or a normal size of loaf pan.
150g finely shredded carrots
130g all purpose flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
80g caster sugar
80g brown sugar
1/4tsp nutmeg powder
1/4tsp cinnamon powder
100g corn oil
1/2tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly stir
40g walnut, chopped (next time, i will add more)
40g raisins ( i use mixed dried fruits)
1. Sift flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
2. Add in caster sugar, salt and brown sugar, stir well.
3. Add in carrots, corn oil, vanilla extract and egg, beat for few minutes till mixture well combined.
4. Add in walnut and dried fruits, mix well.
5. Pour in a greased and line baking pan, bake at pre-heated oven 180c for 40mins.
6. Cool on a wire rack and apply cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese frosting
150g cream cheese, at room temperature
40g butter, at room temperature
70g icing sugar, sifted
1tbsp lemon juices
Finely grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
1. Beat cream cheese and butter till light and creamy.
2. Add in icing sugar and mix well on low speed.
3. Add in lemon juices and lemon zest, combine well.
4. Store in fridge for later use.